The future of Chivalry: MW (please read)

• HAIL ! well said sire !

• @fwbo777:

Gunpowder weapons

Oh no

• I personally am not so sure that I’m going to like gunpowder weapons being implemented in this game

• Developer

Should probably specifically clarify that gun powder weapons are not planned and won’t be coming to Chivalry.

• Just don’t let the “novelty” idea cloud your judgement. No game is perfect and every game needs constant rebalancing: League of Legends proves that. You’re not going to make a perfect weapon, some weapons will need nerfing and some weapons will need buffing sometimes. Don’t just say “NO THEY DON’T PLAYER IS JUST BAD” because that’s not true at all. The War Hammer and Norse sword are both very anti-fun even when you know how to deal with them and do need looking into. And then you have weapons like the Fork which is also anti-fun to do well with.

Don’t let your judgement get clouded. Follow League of Legends’ example if you want to get into the e-sports scene seriously.

• @Tibberius:

Should probably specifically clarify that gun powder weapons are not planned and won’t be coming to Chivalry.

Thank god.

• I support the OP’s ideas and Im glad the devs are actually planning to go that route.You guys are teaching a lesson to the bigger and wealthier development teams out there.

• @SOC:

Just don’t let the “novelty” idea cloud your judgement. No game is perfect and every game needs constant rebalancing: League of Legends proves that. You’re not going to make a perfect weapon, some weapons will need nerfing and some weapons will need buffing sometimes. Don’t just say “NO THEY DON’T PLAYER IS JUST BAD” because that’s not true at all. The War Hammer and Norse sword are both very anti-fun even when you know how to deal with them and do need looking into. And then you have weapons like the Fork which is also anti-fun to do well with.

Don’t let your judgement get clouded. Follow League of Legends’ example if you want to get into the e-sports scene seriously.

TBS can’t really afford to follow LoL’s example to get into the e-sports scene, they don’t have the money to pay their way into WCG.

• @SlyGoat:

TBS can’t really afford to follow LoL’s example to get into the e-sports scene, they don’t have the money to pay their way into WCG.

I wonder why Riot Games had that money then…

Because they take balance seriously and understand it as a constant ongoing struggle. Don’t ever feel satisfied with it.

• But you shouldn’t be hasty with balancing, on the topic of LoL, look at Rengar.

They released him, everybody criep ‘UP!’, they give him a big buff just as people learn how to play him, BAM, overpowered.

• @SOC:

@SlyGoat:

I wonder why Riot Games had that money then…

Because they take balance seriously and understand it as a constant ongoing struggle. Don’t ever feel satisfied with it.

Or because they had large financial backing and went with a cash shop model.

And @ above, I don’t even know what a Rengar is but that same situation has happened in LoL numerous times, even as far back as Ezreal’s release where he was overpowered in the right hands - huge AP scaling, Essence Flux was an AoE heal as well as damage, virtually 0 cooldown on his blink nuke with the right build - and yet got a buff because of mass crying about how weak he was for all the people who couldn’t use him (or build him as a carry, lol), only to be nerfed into the ground some time later and still be a top competitive pick.

Please don’t name Riot as some shining beacon of balance. Back when I played LoL I was between gold and platinum Elo bracket in solo, 3v3 and 5v5, and I played characters I enjoyed rather than the flavor of the month - the amount of people around the “high” Elo range who you could tell from a single game were subpar players who just played the flavor of the month for easier wins was staggering.

• @fwbo777:

Gunpowder weapons

Oh please no :(

• @dragonfury:

But you shouldn’t be hasty with balancing, on the topic of LoL, look at Rengar.

They released him, everybody criep ‘UP!’, they give him a big buff just as people learn how to play him, BAM, overpowered.

I agree that hasty balancing is a bad idea, but I think there’s more than enough evidence gathered since the game’s release to start toning some weapons down and looking into buffing others. For LoL, I think about how there’s 100+ champions now and still so many “viable” team comps. I think they do a really good job at keeping the game in a very acceptable level.

@SlyGoat:

Or because they had large financial backing and went with a cash shop model.

And @ above, I don’t even know what a Rengar is but that same situation has happened in LoL numerous times, even as far back as Ezreal’s release where he was overpowered in the right hands - huge AP scaling, Essence Flux was an AoE heal as well as damage, virtually 0 cooldown on his blink nuke with the right build - and yet got a buff because of mass crying about how weak he was for all the people who couldn’t use him (or build him as a carry, lol), only to be nerfed into the ground some time later and still be a top competitive pick.

Please don’t name Riot as some shining beacon of balance. Back when I played LoL I was between gold and platinum Elo bracket in solo, 3v3 and 5v5, and I played characters I enjoyed rather than the flavor of the month - the amount of people around the “high” Elo range who you could tell from a single game were subpar players who just played the flavor of the month for easier wins was staggering.

And how did they get that backing? Certainly not because DotA was balanced at all. I can’t really see LoL as a cash shop model because it’s not pay to win, it’s pay for aesthetics. I guess you could argue that using RP on champions helps you save time for IP on runes but honestly, no champion is worth RP IMO. I see cash shop models as pay to win, like a lot of free Korean MMORPGs. But tomatoes tamatoes I guess. I like LoL’s cash shop a lot. They do a really good job on skins.

I’m 2200 solo Elo for season 2, 1900 Elo for season 1. Riot definitely is a shining beacon of balance. By far the best and most caring about competitive balance company I’ve ever seen and I’ve been gaming hardcore since I was 4. There simply isn’t many other online games out there that focus so heavily on balanced competition that can compare to LoL.

The point I’m trying to make is, Chivalry is going to need constant rebalancing on an on-going basis so that it can enter and stay into the e-sports scene. A lot of problems with fighting games is that they simply stop getting updates, or FPS games, or any kind of competitive game really. But LoL is so successful because they constantly introduce new content (champions) regularly while re-balancing every existing champion all the time. I want to see that happen to Chivalry. I want Chivalry to be a game that Torn Banner updates and patches and re-balances for many years to come as people see just how great it is and it blows up in the e-sports categories. It won’t reach that if it gets dusty because Torn Banner is too afraid to nerf the Norse sword or War Hammer.

Also, how many versions of Street Fighter 4 are there now? You know why it’s still in the e-sports scene? Because they constantly rebalance it. Do you know how many more people would get back into 3rd Strike if they did some updates and balance patches for it, too?

• Well I’m kinda new, my rank is in the low 20s. I’ve played this game more in the past days than I’ve played any game in the past. So yes its good fun. I tend to agree with the OP that they should not change too much. The majority of it all feels pretty balanced but there are two things that do annoy me at this time to the point that i find them unfair.

1. Weapon weight.
    Example. A dagger user repeatedly blocking a broadsword. It would be nice if there would be a chance of disarming your opponent. I’m ok with the dagger having a fair chance against a lets say halberd user but not that they can reliably block blow after blow. If that halberd lands on the dagger a couple of times that little dagger should be gone. If thats too hard to code into the game then maybe increasing the stamina penalty for blocking a heavy weapon with a light one. Now this would possibly be a stealth nerf for the armsman class so maybe this mechanic should only be allowed to kick in if the weight difference between the two weapons goes over a certain threshold.

2. 1st and 3rd person servers.
    It would be very nice if this would be included in the server list somehow. Maybe even add a filter function for it. At this time the only way for me to be able to tell if a server has 3rd person enabled is to jump into that sever and try it out. Since this is the only way of telling, I often end up playing there anyway even though I don’t like 3rd person.

Edit: Thought about the Stamina thing. 3 weapon weight classes. Heavy, medium, light.
    Heavy vs medium –> no change
    Medium vs light --> no change
    Light vs heavy --> penalty for light.

• A dueling // tournament game mode is top priority imo, below only bugs and optimization.

• Agree with this, great post. 1000 kill unlocks etc for better looking armour like polished chainmail that kind of stuff would be great.

No to mounted combat ever I say.

• Balance is defo an issue, but i feel to many people are saying “weapon is OP”

Only 1-2 weapons are OP.

It’s weapons that are UNDERPOWERED like the spears, morningstar, and doubleaxe, that is the problem.

Only a few weapons need re-balancing.

• Balance is an ongoing struggle, but please, dont name LoL as an example of balance, considering that out of the around 15 ad carries in the game only 3 are truly viable outside certain teamcomps.