Suggestion: Mark threads for review/confirmation posts

• We want to listen to all of your feedback, but it is incredibly difficult to do that without structure

I believe you are correct! we need more structure. Everyone wants to be heard, and i feel this is a way that idea/suggestion threads and posts can be identified for further review by devs.

Concepts:

-We need a system of confirmation, direct or indirect.
    -Most suggestions/idea are repeated or unreplied by devs due to a degree of repetition.
    -Everyone wants to be heard, and devs want feedback to give their job substance, and direction.

The job of a game studio is to take ideas and turn them into realities. sometimes the ideas of the devs and of the community clash, and this is why we need the following posts pinned for all to see:

1.) a official list of unwanted suggestions, ex. "Do not suggest these"
    Make a list of all things that will not be answered/done ever, like unicorns, ninjas, and rape of peasants. this would reduce clutter, and would force people to think more linearly, thus making plausible and acceptable suggestions.

2.) a official list of accepted suggestions, ex. "Accepted suggestions"
    This would let us know where you are headed, making an open door policy between devs and community. Of course we should’nt everything you’re up to, but it would be nice to see what has been accepted, or what is interesting to you to review behind closed doors.

3.) a official watched status on select suggestion threads, or poll threads.
    A marker to identify which threads are being watched by devs would be nice.

These are a few things i hope this board will adopt to be slightly more personal with the board. i realize i just signed up, but as i stated, i have been apart of this community for a long time, and i see a trend.

Please consider marking threads for review.

Thanks.

• That’s an interesting idea– I think it could be beneficial-- though, I think people should be able to suggest anything that’s within reason (with the exception of raping peasants, that’s just fucked) and I don’t like the idea of restricting that.

• Bump

• bump

• Bump

• Developer

This is a great idea, but I’m not exactly sure on the execution of it. I agree that more structure could be helpful, but we don’t want to mislead people. I.e. if we say “this conversation is interesting” we don’t want people to immediately assume its going in the game and get annoyed when it doesn’t happen right away. And we also don’t want people to feel ignored if their threads aren’t getting the status set.

It’s also rather tedious for the developers themselves to go in and change the status of individual threads. What might be a more effective system is if community members could “bump” or thumbs up ideas, and that would ensure that the developers would easily be able to keep track of the key community items and the community itself would filter its priorities. I think some forums work this way. Does anyone have any examples of forums or software that might work for this?

Additionally we have some other plans for communicating updates with you guys that should compliment the efforts for a conversation between the developers and you, the community.

• Honestly, players appreciate it most when devs communicate in key threads from time to time, as you’re doing now. :)

• Your current system is encouraging, but tedious as you have meantioned. Some suggestions…

http://coursesweb.net/php-mysql/voting- … pt-ajax_s2
    http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/votif … -reminder/
    http://www.hotscripts.com/category/scri … ls-voting/

a simple up/down script that people can vote the validity of a thread**; once a certain number of votes are obtained, the thread in question would be moved to a subforum: Internal Review

Once there, no one else can post on the topic except for perhaps the author incase he wants to change or clarify a post. your team would review the idea by some criteria.

Criteria for consideration of an idea could look like…

How plausible the idea is to implement with current team deadlines and manpower
    How original the idea is and whether or not it would fit to the vision of chivalry: the game
    How articulated the idea is; perhaps it needs more thought and review by the people/author
    How beneficial the idea would be in the first place.
    If the idea were implemented, what priority would it take?

These would be reviewed internally, and then a reply would be given to the poster, explaining why or why not the idea was rejected.

Take Polearm facehugging for example.

its plausible, and easy to do
    not really original, and would break gameplay, requiring massive rebalancing, and make people mad.
    a simple to define concept
    not all that beneficial, aside from realism. the majority of people would hate it.
    it would have to be done after X goal.

Dear BOB123,

We have reviewed your post and have decided that we cannot do this at this time; while the concept is good, we believe it would require massive rebalancing and would make more people angry than it would help. We will be closing this idea thread, but keeping it in the archive for review at some other time.

Best regards,
    Blah

-Idea closed, sent to rejected subforum.

You should have a rejected, accepted, and internal review subforum for these.
    As to what threads are accepted for review, they would be determined by upvote. upvoted threads would be moved to review, and review would be completely up to you and your team to fulfill at your leisure.
    IN ADDITION
    , this would forever make it clear on which ideas are valid or not, and a thread can be pinned in the suggestions area on what is accepted or denied, posting links to each as more are accepted or denied.

I feel that would be the easiest way to set it up, and the best organization, and **would only take a couple of hours or so for an experienced web programmer to implement.

How many votes required, threads accepted per week, threads reviewed per week, types of responses, and the regulations thereof are up to you, but a system like this would be great.

a final idea is to just sign up for a web tracker!

http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/
    http://www.openssl.org/support/rt.html
    Also, instead of having a bug thread, you could have…**

http://www.mantisbt.org/ -bug tracker (might be a good idea as well)

Anyhow, thanks for reviewing this and replying, i hope this is helpful and i look foward to what is in store for the future!

Best Regards,
    Eldiablo1989

• Bump

• Way to tedious, I believe if we are to help make this game even better, we need to have a confirmed list of “Problems” that the developer agrees need fixing, we can then brainstorm ideas that will fix the problem, until finally we all agree on something.

At least we know the developer will be interested in the thread, because after all they are the one starting it by listing the problem them self.

They could also run a competition for best idea, they set the ground rules and people think up and submit their ideas.

The from the idea they can start a mini thread on the mechanics of that idea.

That way it is our contribution, but as it should be… their game for the credit.

A lot of the things we suggest 90% of time have already been thought of by the devs, I can guarantee it.

• Actually, there is a confirmed list of problems: the bug list.

What we are talking about here is adding a voting system to threads so that the most popular are put up for review, making the dev’s life easier, making everything less tedious.

we’re not reinventing the wheel here, I suggested a functional system they could implement in the forums, OR they could just use a information tracking service for feature requests, and bugs too to make it more simple.

• Bump

• bump

• @Tibberius:

This is a great idea, but I’m not exactly sure on the execution of it. I agree that more structure could be helpful, but we don’t want to mislead people. I.e. if we say “this conversation is interesting” we don’t want people to immediately assume its going in the game and get annoyed when it doesn’t happen right away. And we also don’t want people to feel ignored if their threads aren’t getting the status set.

It’s also rather tedious for the developers themselves to go in and change the status of individual threads. What might be a more effective system is if community members could “bump” or thumbs up ideas, and that would ensure that the developers would easily be able to keep track of the key community items and the community itself would filter its priorities. I think some forums work this way. Does anyone have any examples of forums or software that might work for this?

Additionally we have some other plans for communicating updates with you guys that should compliment the efforts for a conversation between the developers and you, the community.

I do understand this but certain posts are subject to getting left behind that are great ideas. For the longest time you have grief posts for example " Woah This Community Has Gone Bad " that has been on the first page for several weeks now.

I would like to see not devs, but moderators have the power to confirm an interest…that way it doesn’t waste your time and allows you to communicate with your staff whenever you see fit. :)

How bout that?