3rd Person View

• What would you think about the feature of switching the viewpoint between 1st and 3rd person? It works very smooth Oblivion and Fallout 3. Even if it’s not added in the first release it could be easily added via update.

• Developer

It’s actually incredibly easy and technically already in the game. But people playing in 3rd person would have a distinct disadvantage to the point where they probably wouldn’t want to play in 3rd person… Although there would be perks such as better battlefield awareness, we’re not sure if 3rd person view fits in with the immersive battlefields we’re trying to create. Maybe its best as a server side option to allow people to use 3rd person or not?

• I think that while playing in 3rd person view would have disadvantage during close combat, it would make the game rather easy as well.
    Once you can see in 360 degrees around your character, it changes every single tactics and strategy for every single fight. You can no longer get behind someone without the prey noticing you, you can’t effectively flank the enemy with your group, you couldn’t hide behind corners… I think most of the immersive features and effects would completely lost because of that.

I strongly suggest NOT allowing it in any way, server side, optional, or whatnot.

• I think it should be serverside. Or not enabled at all.

• dregnarr1 has the point… although I do like seeing my whole character as he swings the sword, there would be less options for ambush and sneaking(and the parrying would be much harder).
    IMO game like chivalry requires larger field of view so maybe there should be option to “zoom out” your view. I saw this in a cod mod(don’t remember in which one) and it looked pretty good.

• Another option would be if there was a stamina bar of some sort for springing and fight, and then you could have this ‘awareness’ abilty where you can zoom out for a very limited time. This ability would cost a large amount of stamina (enough so ppl wouldn’t use it even for a single glimpse it it’s not really, really necessary).

This too however would make the game a lot more easier, so perhaps this could be added as a server-side option for ‘servers for newbies’, or something.

Or, this could be another trait (I’ve seen traits on one of the screenies) with a really long cooldown period (can zoom out for 5 second, 2-4mins cd).

But as I’ve already said, I wouldn’t even implement it, not even as an option.

• When playing minecraft this morning I saw there was option to change fov so I played around with it, and I can say that it really helps. It was weird at the beginning I set the angle too big but when I got used to it, it was great, and really helped(it’s even better I u have big screen like me :) ). I don’t think this should be hard thing to implement in your game and it would be really good. It could solve a lot of problems.

here are some screens:

• I definitely would only want 3rd person server side only, IMO it’s great for cinematic quality (maybe like YouTube videos to record instead of a fps view) but what may be a better alternative to that aspect if that’s why a person(s) using 3rd person is to implement a game recorder maybe a real time no clipped camera with options such as half speed; 2x speed; play; stop etc. This would give flexibility to create videos from all view ports, speed, aspects, etc. and wouldn’t be limited to someone in a spectator cam going around with Fraps recording real-time pre-determined footage as well as everyone who was in that game would have the chance to view their own game.

Now the only drawback to that is maybe people want a real time cinematic experience for them self… Well just go to a server with a 3rd person availability, I rather not waste tactical game play for a little spiffier alternative to play style.

That’s just my take on what 3rd person would be used for and the balance it should supply.

• @ivokosir:

When playing minecraft this morning I saw there was option to change fov

FOV changes what the player can see on the screen at once, and provides an unfair advantage for those that have great computers vs those that have decent computers. FOV is something that comes stock with the UDK, and it comes capped without coding the game to not have a cap or hacking. This is so people can’t set the fov to 360 degrees and be able to see behind them (although it would be heavily distorted)

In a non-competitive game such as minecraft having an advantage over players doesn’t really matter.

A wide fov IS however important for a game such as this, but it will be capped at some limit so there is a standard that provides very little advantage between the minimum and the maximum

http://strlen.com/gfxengine/fisheyequake/compare.html

• That changeable FOV look’s epic(especially the fisheye). I say that there should be high limit because Chivalry really needs thing like that. If devs are smart they will set max cap high because field awareness is crucial in every medieval game. By doing this there should be no need for 3rd person view.

P.S.: I would be the first one to sacrifice graphics for larger fov.

• following is not really about 3rd persion view, still, might worth thinking about it:

another awesome feature would be if you guys could make what Darkfall did: FOV depended on the helmet you were wearing, so if you had some heavy armor equipped, your FOV decreased drastically, basically you could see through the T-line of the helmet.
    Too bad I can’t find any pictures to show this off, hope someone can help me out here.

Also, Star Wars: Republic Commando had a nice feature to increase immersiveness: the helmet you were wearing was bumping around your head a bit, making it feel like it was actually on your head.

Combining these two features would be incredibly awesome imo.

• I hope they allow 3rd person view in this game. I find 3rd person much more immersive and I hate first person.

• 3rd person is confirmed.

• Third person view is confirmed and will be a server side setting to allow server operators to choose whether or not third person is allowed on their servers.

• @SlyGoat:

3rd person is confirmed.

3rd person is a shame for real FPS. Stop it plz or make it just an option in training server. But don t allow it in all the game.

• If you don’t wish to play with people using third person then you can choose to play in a server with that disabled.

• @PapaGreg:

@SlyGoat:

3rd person is confirmed.

3rd person is a shame for real FPS. Stop it plz or make it just an option in training server. But don t allow it in all the game.

You can enabled 3rd person in some servers on call of duty for example. As long as it is a server side setting there is no problem. 8-)

• @b3h47pte:

Third person view is confirmed and will be a server side setting to allow server operators to choose whether or not third person is allowed on their servers.

That’s fine with me. Hopefully it doesn’t somehow become the norm on most server like Fastest combat did with Warband.

• Even if the server has 3rd person enabled you can choose to play in first person. Nobody on the alpha team as far as I’m aware has noticed any real advantage to playing in 3rd person, it’s really just there for those who are used to or prefer 3rd person.

• All right, let them come to me !
    Be there one ennemy or three, it makes no matter for my skill at arms shall decapitate their pesky head for hurting mine with this kind of peasantry considerations !