Hard to block 1-hand facehugging attacks

• @POOP:

Zealot, after hours of testing, I’m afraid Jackbaldy is right. It’s not clipping or whatever, it’s player’s fault. You HAVE to look more away from the center or you get hit. Same thing happens with shield.

POOP, you bring a tear to my eye bro. Sniff Someone who is understanding sniff what actually happens in the game! I’m proud of you for not spewing out non-sense, but you’ve clearly noted what’s going on when blocking at close range.

What Jackbaldy has stated is 100% true and not only are his examples descriptive to understanding why difficulty occurs at close range, but also backs up this fact with a quote from Tibberius concluding to the same result.

I’ve had this exact question at some point on blocking. Once you understand to use movement to block towards the end of a weapon, since at close range it’ll hit your flank, blocking at a close range will be easier provided that you understand why this happens.

• I think hit detection gets messed up when you’re being face hugged, the weapon clips through your shield/parry.

• The problem isn’t that you can’t block certain weapons, because you can. You can block any weapon in any situation in any ping. That’s not the problem. The problem is that it’s more difficult to block certain weapons than others and there’s no logical explanation why.

• @POOP:

Zealot, after hours of testing, I’m afraid Jackbaldy is right. It’s not clipping or whatever, it’s player’s fault. You HAVE to look more away from the center or you get hit. Same thing happens with shield.

I never said you didn’t need to look further. I was just stating why- and it is desync. It is the only possible reason why blocks need to be significantly more precise against moving targets than against a standing target.

@JackBaldy:

@Zealot:

Funny, you are summing up my thoughts about you quite well. This is a complete waste of time and effort.

You’re only further cementing what most people already feel. You have poor observational skills. Although I won’t lie, it’s quite entertaining to have someone scream “desynch” this and “desynch” that instead of actually learning how to block.

Lets dismiss anyone who tries to educate the masses on how to block properly and claim it’s desynchronization issues while dismissing anything containing logic.

I’m getting immense satisfaction out of your inability to hold a discussion, but at the same time it is making me cringe. I suggest you go back and read your posts, because it is hilarious.

• @SOC:

The problem isn’t that you can’t block certain weapons, because you can. You can block any weapon in any situation in any ping. That’s not the problem. The problem is that it’s more difficult to block certain weapons than others and there’s no logical explanation why.

I think this is mostly perception. You think you’re as close with your sword as you are when you’re using a mace but you actually aren’t; the mace has a far far shorter effective range, which means getting in really close with the mace is a far shorter distance you have to close than getting in really close with a sword from the sword’s effective range. This would explain why the falchion seems to act similarly, because it has very short range for a sword.

How about this, everyone? How about let’s test this and see what really happens, instead of yelling back and forth about it. I don’t want to have to close this thread before we’ve all reached an agreement on how blocking is really working, since it seems to be a concern for a lot of people, but if you keep up the blatant personal attacks I will.

• When you do normal “arm’s length” combat. Combat, parrying, blocking makes sense. Like how you were taught in the tutorial.

When you get facehugged and someone spams you, it becomes more counter intuitive. I’ve parried attacks where I was aiming at their hands, and missed parries where I was definitely aiming at the tip of the weapon. I’ve had people miss me where their sword clearly has gone completely through my torso, etc.

I actually think parrying should get somewhat slightly easier the closer someone gets. “Pro” gameplay has obviously shifted from 2handed roflcopter to 1handed facehug spam because of this fact. 1hand facehugging attacks are hard to block…and not just because of lack of skill.

• @SlyGoat:

How about this, everyone? How about let’s test this and see what really happens, instead of yelling back and forth about it. I don’t want to have to close this thread before we’ve all reached an agreement on how blocking is really working, since it seems to be a concern for a lot of people, but if you keep up the blatant personal attacks I will.

The situation I am talking about is when players clearly block an attack from a person directly in front of them, but on the attackers screen he flanked to the side and attacked from there. This happens much quicker with short weapons due to the range, so it is more prone to happening with them. When fighting my unobservant yes-man friends, this is always what it gets described as when it happens.

The problem is that it is random, and I have no clue what triggers it. If it were to be tested, you would need two players recording each side of the fight.

My other tests can easily be reproduced if that is what you are talking about, though. We have all had those moments where we get hit through a block and figured we just didn’t aim well enough. Reproduce those situations except have the players stand still, and you will see that your attacks will quite easily get blocked, even when you are looking off to the opposite side,

• I have honestly never experienced what you’re describing. Whenever I’ve had someone attack me when I was certain I’d blocked, I ask them what it looked like on their screen, and they say it looked like I blocked it. It’s an extremely rare occurrence, though. I’ve missed blocks because someone ran around me, but I always saw them running around me and just didn’t react to it quickly enough.

• @SlyGoat:

I have honestly never experienced what you’re describing. Whenever I’ve had someone attack me when I was certain I’d blocked, I ask them what it looked like on their screen, and they say it looked like I blocked it. It’s an extremely rare occurrence, though. I’ve missed blocks because someone ran around me, but I always saw them running around me and just didn’t react to it quickly enough.

That is really strange. I was almost positive it was a universal problem, since it happens several times a game to myself and each of the friends I play with.

I know how eager some people might be to just say “lrn2play”, but blocking isn’t very hard. I know full well when I miss a block and when an attack goes straight through it. I’m not the type to make up excuses to pad my ego.

What ping do you typically play at?

• @Zealot:

@SlyGoat:

I have honestly never experienced what you’re describing. Whenever I’ve had someone attack me when I was certain I’d blocked, I ask them what it looked like on their screen, and they say it looked like I blocked it. It’s an extremely rare occurrence, though. I’ve missed blocks because someone ran around me, but I always saw them running around me and just didn’t react to it quickly enough.

That is really strange. I was almost positive it was a universal problem, since it happens several times a game to myself and each of the friends I play with.

I know how eager some people might be to just say “lrn2play”, but blocking isn’t very hard. I know full well when I miss a block and when an attack goes straight through it. I’m not the type to make up excuses to pad my ego.

What ping do you typically play at?

It’s ok mate. I have the same problem. It happens at least once every game. Some games I feel cursed at the amount of times I clearly hit them or block and things don’t “register”. It makes me throw small fits. lol

I play from pings 30-100 and get the same results on all of them.