Pushing rams or carts: only pushable from behind

• Edited based on Martin’s reply further down this thread.

I was thinking about it this morning, and saw a reply by Mashuu in another thread on another topic when I searched. He suggested this as well.

It would be more realistic, and would require more teamwork, if the carts actually had to be pushed. Just as the ram has two spots in back that someone can stand at and hold “E” to use the ram, the pushing of the rams and carts towards the objective should use the same sort of action. The “pushables” would have two areas in back that you stand near and hold “E” to push. only be pushable from behind. The cart moves faster if two people are pushing versus just one. It would require much more realistic teamwork, as other players would have to protect the pushers from attack, knights or MAA would have to shield the pushers from incoming arrows and crossbow bolts, etc. Also, it would require a more “play the objective” style, rather than allowing people to still play like it is Team Deathmatch.

Overall, I feel that this would be a great improvement to the already great Team Objective maps, especially for those who actually put the objective over their own kill-to-death ratio, like myself. Anyone who doesn’t should just play Team Deathmatch anyway! :)

• I agree, excellent idea. And it would add to the immersion.

Although it is already difficult enough for attackers, so maybe the base speed should probably be increased a little to offset the difficulty.

• Defense would win every time.

• @Lg:

Defense would win every time.

Correct, because the majority of Chivalry players only care for quick kills. And you can not kill while pushing the ram. And who cares for those few points you get?

I basically like this idea. The more realistic it gets, the happier I am. But it would not work in this community unfortunately.

• The sides should work as well, since you could lean into the ram’s support beams to push it.

• @William:

@Lg | kk:

Defense would win every time.

Correct, because the majority of Chivalry players only care for quick kills. And you can not kill while pushing the ram. And who cares for those few points you get?

I basically like this idea. The more realistic it gets, the happier I am. But it would not work in this community unfortunately.

But, for those who want to play as a group and play the objective, it would be great. Maybe if it was a server-side option? I just don’t like cheapening an objective game because of people who play everything like it’s TDM. Would at least be something to try in some kind of closed beta testing, perhaps. I don’t know, just an idea. Either way this game kicks ass!

• What I want for all pushables is the AoC style bombcart/wagon method, at least for competitive play. Can be pushable anywhere from the rear side and cannot be blocked unless the defenders are on that rear side too - so the defenders have to actually kill the pushers - not just stand off to the side doing absolutely nothing whilst the pushable is frozen just because they’re standing nearby, it’s too tf2ish and gimmicky the way it is now.

• @Martin:

What I want for all pushables is the AoC style bombcart/wagon method, at least for competitive play. Can be pushable anywhere from the rear side and cannot be blocked unless the defenders are on that rear side too - so the defenders have to actually kill the pushers - not just stand off to the side doing absolutely nothing whilst the pushable is frozen just because they’re standing nearby, it’s too tf2ish and gimmicky the way it is now.

Agree. This would at least allow the pushers to still fight, which would take care of the “I care about my KDR more than helping the team win” problem. I played all of an hour of AOC, which made my mind up to buy this game, so I didn’t pick up on that one! Good call!

• Only if they compensate and make it easier for attacking teams. Though really I don’t like this idea because holding E the whole time is way more boring than fighting enemies off the cart.

• @SOC:

Only if they compensate and make it easier for attacking teams. Though really I don’t like this idea because holding E the whole time is way more boring than fighting enemies off the cart.

Read the reply before your post, I agree with you. The reply before your post is a better idea, and still does what I wanted to see changed.