Shields need some downsides.

• Blocking with a shield is too powerful given that it negates an entire game mechanic with little effort. I think there are a few things which could be done to fix this.

• Reduce max stamina when a shield is equipped (dependent on type of shield, of course).
    • Reduce stamina regeneration rate when shield is equipped
    • Reduce movement speed when shield is equipped

Reducing stamina would force shield users to prioritise defense or offense, rather than being much more powerful defensively with no consequences.

The buckler is also worse than useless in that it blocks too much of your vision for how small the coverage is. It’s practically a death sentence against anyone decent.

• Good suggestions, I also think that shields should have a REAL downside given their usefulness versus feints and archers. I almost always take a shield over throwables.

In most games the benefits of a shield are balanced by 1h weapons being substantially weaker than their 2h counterparts. This is not the case in CMW (I’m looking at you norse sword/warhammer). So maybe 2h weapons could be buffed.

• @Tycn:

• Reduce max stamina when a shield is equipped (dependent on type of shield, of course).
    • Reduce stamina regeneration rate when shield is equipped
    • Reduce movement speed when shield is raised

Now I wholeheartedly agree.

• I love shields and use them quite a bit but I have to agree they need some toning down: I think being able to sprint while having it up is a bit much. But they don’t make approaching archers any easier really.

• I use shields every/almost all the time and i strongly disagree OP, Its in my name for goodness sakes.
    I run out of stamina fast as maa with shield when its a 3v1 or 2v1 or more, no problems with 1v1. Also i stoped dodgeing because that sucks u dry so fast with shield.

Nothing is wrong with the shield, i get around it all the time. when u move left use overland when moving right use poke/slash. I know this i played 120/127 hours of MAA i know this.

My layout is Broadsword, shortsword, Bucklershield, its harder/challenging &these changes would/might kill shield.
    If only we had stats i can prove this and end this talk. Shields fine!

PS: TBH i think all these views are all 1sided from Vanguards and Kights, be honest OP which class u play more?

• Nah, shields blow enough as it is. I rather have a dagger to parry with than a shield. Blocking area is too big, recovery time too long, and its far to easy to get around a shield. Either jump+overhand, overhand from the left side, or stab from the right. Very, very easy to get past a shield.

• @Rodelero:

I use shields every/almost all the time and i strongly disagree OP, Its in my name for goodness sakes.
    I run out of stamina fast as maa with shield only when its a 3v1 or 2v1, no problems with 1v1. Also i hardly/never dodge.

Nothing is wrong with the shield, i get around it all the time. when u move left use overland when moving right use poke/slash. I know this i played 120/127 hours of MAA i know this.

My layout is Broadsword, shortsword, Bucklershield, its harder/challenging &these changes would/might kill shield.
    If only we had stats i can prove this and end this talk. Shields fine!

PS: TBH i think all these views are all 1sided from Vanguards and Kights, be honest OP which class u play more?

Knights can use shields too. Maybe even more effectively than any other class. Especially their Tower Shield is impossible to get past.

The fact is, shields give you a ton of advantages: easier blocking, nullifying feints (this is a huge one), protection from thrownables and ranged weaponry, not having to time your blocks,…

It is hard to get past a shield with attacks, any shield. If the shield user is a bit capable, he won’t let you past.

Overall, a shield gives you an enormous advantage, without any real downside. The only one there is impaired vision, which can be completely neglected on servers which have third person enabled and is only really of effect with a Tower Shield, where it actually completely blocks off your view.

The changes the OP proposed will keep shields perfectly viable (all of its advantages remain), but they’ll tone it down a bit.

• Shields are fine as they are. If anything, they need their bashing fixed so that they still block during a bash.

• Siefried have u played with a shield as much as me? believe me it has pleny of downsides, Drains stanima per block, do u know how many people go after MAA/archers?.. it sucks u dry all thosehits/ blocks
    and it blocks view.

As for 3rd person view i cant really say. i havent used it much, but when i did it helped at first.

But after a while i had to switch back to 1person view.
    Like i said this might kill shield& Archers will rule the field.

BTW in History Spartan’s Trained spriting with those big azz Hoplite shields, &still being able to kill Many many persian arches/troops. . Enabling/saveing everything that is the western hemisphere to thrive,democracy,European “civilizations” ect.

• I always use a shield as MaA. There’s really no reason not to. They’re overpowered for their slot and make the other tertiary weapons undesirable.

• @Rodelero:

Siefried have u played with a shield as much as me? believe me it has pleny of downsides, Drains stanima per block, do u know how many people go after MAA/archers?.. it sucks u dry all thosehits/ blocks
    and it blocks view.

As for 3rd person view i cant really say. i havent used it much, but when i did it helped at first.

You’re not supposed to take the majority of those hits as a MaA. Shields are a far easier way to block, but that doesn’t mean you should actually block every single Maul attack. One of the advantages of a MaA is speed: use footwork to your advantage (doesn’t have to be dodge). When you’re turtling against an opponent with a heavy 2-hander, then yeah, obviously your stamina is going to drain much faster.

I have been playing a lot of shield MaA, and I have never had any problems whatsoever with a stamina drain from shields. If you are, you might want to reconsider your current playstyle.

• i dont feel shields require any sort of nerfing, think of it…

-if you have a shield, your using a 1 handed weapon, with little reach and less power then a 2 hander.

-bucklers/heaters are easy to get around

-all shields can be swung over with a jump and overhead swing

-proper footwork can get you around a shield no problem

-they drain stamina holding up and when being blocked

-you can kick them and basically get a free thrust in no problem

the only upsides are

-you can stop arrows and thrown weapons

-you can hold a block

so really, is it overpowered?

• @fwbo777:

i dont feel shields require any sort of nerfing, think of it…

-if you have a shield, your using a 1 handed weapon, with little reach and less power then a 2 hander.

-bucklers/heaters are easy to get around

-all shields can be swung over with a jump and overhead swing

-proper footwork can get you around a shield no problem

-they drain stamina holding up and when being blocked

-you can kick them and basically get a free thrust in no problem/quote]

1. 1h weapons are far superior to 2h weapons
    2. Kite shields and tower shields are what we’re talking about
    3. Proper footwork also counters enemies, a good shield user always has the advantage no matter how good your footwork is as long as they’re not bad
    4. Simply putting away your block resets the stamina drain, so you can just tap it back off np
    5. You can’t kick and free thrust no problem. Shield can come back up way faster than you can thrust after a kick

• i doubt 1h are better then 2h. almost everyone on here seems to think 2h are OP compared to 1h. They do more damage have more reach and still swing fast.

However, this seems like the kick needs a buff more then the shield needs a nerf.

if you buff the kick to stun people shield blocking for a bit longer, tada, shield is fixed.

• @fwbo777:

the only upsides are

-you can stop arrows and thrown weapons

-you can hold a block

-Feints become useless

-You have to aim your blocks way less

Fixed that for you

@fwbo777:

i doubt 1h are better then 2h. almost everyone on here seems to think 2h are OP compared to 1h. They do more damage have more reach and still swing fast.

You have obviously never seen a Norse Sword.

@fwbo777:

if you buff the kick to stun people shield blocking for a bit longer, tada, shield is fixed.

And it would completely ruin the blocking system in general.

• All i had used in Chivalry is the Warhammer + Sheild Combination and it makes you considerably slower in reaction time. When you watch videos of people doing duels with 2h weapons they attack and then parry really quickly; with a Kiteshield/Towershield the recover time is too slow so you can’t really attack and then parry right after.
    Sometimes when i block it feels like i cant move (almost like im stuck), that’s how slow the recovery time is.
    So with that being said, i think the Kiteshield/Towershield is not overpowered because of it making you slower.

• i dont really see why anyone should have a problem with shields and i really dont get wth is going on.
    shields are vulnerable at:
    the sides
    the top
    by kicking
    by slashing and standing as close as possible (even if ur freaking standing infront of the enemy)
    u can also jumpattack over them.

Letting u know that im mainly a Vanguard and some few times im maa without shield

• I strongly disagree with the fact that the shields needs downsides, perhaps a slightly adjustment would make it perfect, but don’t make it worse than it already is. We all know that the shield can be used as both in-active, pasive and block move to block enemy projectiles, and they also counter feints because of their hold-ability. There’s a difference between having a shield or not having one. Without shield, you can be more offensive with the counter attacks which the shields don’t have, while shields can be more defensive and counter feints that normally non-shield users would have, but there’s more weakness to the shield. Its pretty easy to bypass the shield by getting too close to the side or jump attack them with a overhead, cause they can’t perfectly aim the block cause of that their shield infact blocks their view, shield users are more vulnerable to combo-attacks because of the fact that the shield again blocks their view, thus its harder for them to see where the hit lands. Clearly the shielded knight is more harder to beat because of their ability, although a Man-at Arms shield user is pretty weak, considering their stamina is being drained so fast. So basically you have to use a different play-style against and with a shield, slash spamming won’t work all the time people !

• @wildwulfy:

I strongly disagree with the fact that the shields needs downsides, perhaps a slightly adjustment would make it perfect, but don’t make it worse than it already is. We all know that the shield can be used as both in-active, pasive and block move to block enemy projectiles, and they also counter feints because of their hold-ability. There’s a difference between having a shield or not having one. Without shield, you can be more offensive with the counter attacks which the shields don’t have, while shields can be more defensive and counter feints that normally non-shield users would have, but there’s more weakness to the shield. Its pretty easy to bypass the shield by getting too close to the side or jump attack them with a overhead, cause they can’t perfectly aim the block cause of that their shield infact blocks their view, shield users are more vulnerable to combo-attacks because of the fact that the shield again blocks their view, thus its harder for them to see where the hit lands. Clearly the shielded knight is more harder to beat because of their ability, although a Man-at Arms shield user is pretty weak, considering their stamina is being drained so fast. So basically you have to use a different play-style against and with a shield, slash spamming won’t work all the time people !

Shields don’t block your view that much. They do, but not in such a crucial way that it would prohibit you from properly aiming your block. The only one that would do such a thing would be the Tower Shield, but its sheer size makes up for that.

Never when playing with a shield, was I unable to block an attack because I couldn’t properly see where it was going to land. Anything but the Tower Shield still gives you plenty of view.

• Still the opponent will have an advantage with more accurate timing and accurate hits because of the fact that he is open, doesn’t matter which shield it is, they all pretty much cover up your screen, despite of this fact, it doesn’t change that there are easy ways to slip through the shields defence.