Weapon damage types

• I’ve searched this, and I didn’t get any results that I was looking for. Usually about general weapon damage, but not types. And those who have asked this seemed to be side-stepped, usually if there were other questions that could be answered, and that’s it.

So anyways, I notice that there is Piercing, Blunt, Chop, and Cut damage.
    Its rather obvious that Piercing and Blunt are better suited against well armored opponents like Knights and Vanguards. Its even stated in the Tutorial.

But what about Cut and Chop? Is chop (being mostly axe and cleaver-like weapons) a split between Blunt and Cut?
    Are there any classes that are more resilient to Blunt, and weaker to Cut?
    Could it be plausible that perhaps the MAA and the Archers could be resilient to blunt attacks by reason of being cushioned from it by all the soft armors that they wear?
    For an example, that leather breastplate of the Agathian MAA looks like its hardened leather armor.
    Hardened leather armor, if you ask any medieval arms scholar, was actually more easily cut than soft leather armor, while at the same time, cushioned against bludgeoning attacks better.
    Then there is all that padded cloth armor and soft leathers that both classes of each faction is layered in.

I ask because I’d like to think that the sword and axe weapons are more than aesthetic weapons, where maces and hammers otherwise rule supreme.

This would also make my preferred load-outs more relevant. As I do generally prefer to equip blunts and axes for armor, slashing weapons for light armor. This way I variatize and not stick with one weapon, and make more use of my Secondary.

• There is no cut or chop. There are slashing/swing, piercing, and blunt. The type of attack you use determines the damage: stab, overhead, slash.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=1

This is all the information you need

• Well, fingers crossed MAA gets a better reduction from blunt damage next patch. Me and SlyGoat keep bringing it up in various threads.

• @DirtyHoudini:

There is no cut or chop. There are slashing/swing, piercing, and blunt. The type of attack you use determines the damage: stab, overhead, slash.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ami8d_HZmYHsdDRzc1Byb3ItVWNXSFR1SURHN29TZnc#gid=1

This is all the information you need

Have you went into Detailed View in the weapons selection? It says otherwise.

And my apologies Martin, I obviously didn’t search thoroughly enough. Good to hear though!

• @Martin:

Well, fingers crossed MAA gets a better reduction from blunt damage next patch. Me and SlyGoat keep bringing it up in various threads.

So why should an unarmored MAA get less damage from a huge maul/hammer?

• @Rak:

@Martin:

Well, fingers crossed MAA gets a better reduction from blunt damage next patch. Me and SlyGoat keep bringing it up in various threads.

Because hammers are specifically designed to pierce armor. Currently the MaA takes the same amount of damage from any damage type, meaning slash damage is just plain bad - it’s drastically less effective against Knight and Vanguard and no more effective than pierce/blunt against MaA.

Basically if you take a hammer to the shoulder, you’ll be unable to use that arm any more - but if you take a blade to the shoulder you no longer have an arm and will bleed to death very soon.

Of course if you take a hammer to the skull you’re pretty much dead regardless. Would be interesting if hammers had higher head hit multiplier, and perhaps lower on limb hits. Would make them more focused on overheads to optimize your headshot percentage.

• @Rak:

Please read my post. With that said, I apologize to you and Martin again Sly, for not paying more attention around the boards.
    Anyways…

Armor doesn’t need to be made of metal to be protective, nor does it need to be leather, it could be in the form of cloth armor well padded to absorb blows. Mail is nothing without such garments, or else even swords would act as steel clubs even if they didn’t cut, all the force behind it would bleed right through. This is why maces and hammers became more prevalent on the battlefield as armor progressed.

A good example of what I’m getting at are the goalies and umpires in sports, they wear padded gear to take the brunt of the potentially devastating force of hard hitting baseballs and hockey pucks. Also note how much force is absorbed when catching one of these objects wearing padded gloves.

@SlyGoat:

Because hammers are specifically designed to pierce armor. Currently the MaA takes the same amount of damage from any damage type, meaning slash damage is just plain bad - it’s drastically less effective against Knight and Vanguard and no more effective than pierce/blunt against MaA.

Basically if you take a hammer to the shoulder, you’ll be unable to use that arm any more - but if you take a blade to the shoulder you no longer have an arm and will bleed to death very soon.

Of course if you take a hammer to the skull you’re pretty much dead regardless. Would be interesting if hammers had higher head hit multiplier, and perhaps lower on limb hits. Would make them more focused on overheads to optimize your headshot percentage.

Sly, speaking of heads, I like where yours is at. And to agree with your first point, it would give more meaning to the sharp weapons. If blunts were universal, when edged weapons are resisted by heavy and medium armor, why bother with them at all? For the time being, they seem closer to ceremonial weapons.

• @Aleihr:

Sly, speaking of heads, I like where yours is at. And to agree with your first point, it would give more meaning to the sharp weapons. If blunts were universal, when edged weapons are resisted by heavy and medium armor, why bother with them at all? For the time being, they seem closer to ceremonial weapons.

I wouldn’t call them ceremonial weapons, but they do tend to be completely reliant on stabbing to do well. Hence the superiority of the Sword of War, Norse Sword and Claymore over the other swords in their respective classes, because they’re the best for stabbing.

• Yeah, in that sense, it gives a reach advantage over bludgeons as the thrust has the most in this aspect, in which swords are better for. Rather realistic in that sense, better suited against light and unarmored opponents, but if boasting the points that these swords have, can be used to push through mail, and slip into gaps of plated opponents.

And I didn’t mean to make the swords sound useless, I actually enjoy their use behind axes, really. It just seems so in compare is all. Actually that’s what this is about, to help you guys fight to give them equal rights, so to speak. To help them shine more.
    Well, there is one thing that I can think of- their lengthy edges, a foot or two of cutting surface. As opposed to the maces and axes more limited surface.

Edit: But wait, I seemed to have derailed about chopping damage. Is it a mixture between cut and bludgeoning damage? Axes are literately hammers that have been shaped into a wedge after all, clubs with a cutting edge, in other terms.

• Less direct reduction to slashing damage against the more heavily armored classes, more reduction to blunt damage for the MaA, and damage-dependent locational damage would be a good direction to go in I think. There is currently an arm hitbox which is unused for anything but death animations; cuts could be as effective as they are now for arm hits (or reduced to 90% or something) and more effective for leg hits, while blunts get similar reduction as they do with leg hits, with the previously mentioned higher head hit multiplier for blunts. Maybe even a higher neck hit multiplier for cuts - I believe there’s a neck hitbox for decapitations but neck hits deal the same as head hits (in AoC, they did slightly more; in early versions of AoC they did significantly more, and most neck shots were a one hit kill in fact).

• I did a research paper a long time ago on knights, I was in 8th grade :). However, blunt damage is best against chain mail, since it bends. Chainmail owns slash damage. Blunt damage sucks vs plate armor, but pierce attacks work well against plate, well that what real knight weapons do. Just sayin.

What struck me as odd and annoying is that red knights class seem to have chainmail and blue ones have plate armor…

• Mason knight has a pretty beastly heavy cuirass, with some metal plating around the shoulders and gauntlets, but I get what you’re saying,

The Agatha knight is also wearing chainmail underneath the plate. You can see it when you knock off their helmet. :)