Penalty for TK is too low

• Rather than introducing radical changes to the current system, which may be both time-consuming and require additional tweaking, I think the first thing that should be done to reduce TK is to increase the penalty for TK. Currently it seems TK only decreases a player’s score by 10 and the kill count is not decreased. This is simply too low to discourage TKing.

Now I’m seeing a new kind of TKer. Not the ones who are new to the game and swing wherever they go. Now I’m seeing top-scoring players intentionally swinging in group fights in order to maximise their kills. If they are ever presented with a situation where they can kill 2 enemies and an ally in in a few swings, what’s the incentive not to? The player will in the end still get 10 points and 2 kills. I think the penalty should therefore be doubled or even tripled in order to prevent this sort of behaviour.

As for new players, I think perhaps some tutorial messages should appear on screen after a player has committed a TK (similar to the “avoid friendly fire” message and the extremely obvious deduction of player cash on screen), telling the player to avoid swinging in groups fights and that they are penalised for killing friendlies.

• @GhoXen:

Now I’m seeing a new kind of TKer. Not the ones who are new to the game and swing wherever they go. Now I’m seeing top-scoring players intentionally swinging in group fights in order to maximise their kills. If they are ever presented with a situation where they can kill 2 enemies and an ally in in a few swings, what’s the incentive not to?

How do you know their intentions? Also, in team objective, a triple kill that takes 2 of their guys and one of your own is pretty good, especially if you are defending.

• @ReMixx:

@GhoXen:

Now I’m seeing a new kind of TKer. Not the ones who are new to the game and swing wherever they go. Now I’m seeing top-scoring players intentionally swinging in group fights in order to maximise their kills. If they are ever presented with a situation where they can kill 2 enemies and an ally in in a few swings, what’s the incentive not to?

How do you know their intentions? Also, in team objective, a triple kill that takes 2 of their guys and one of your own is pretty good, especially if you are defending.

I’m not willing to believe that a fairly skilled player at top of the chart would accidentally send combo swings into a group fight unless it was intentional. The problem though? In many of those situations it would have been easy, albeit slightly more time consuming to kill the enemies without letting a friendly die. There are players who clearly prioritise their own scores and kills over the objectives. After all the incentive for winning is small, while the incentive for more kills is unlocking weapons.

• Most “skilled players” have everything unlocked already.

• There needs to be sound bites for when team injuries happen so that you know it was an ally, for both the guy who swung and the guy who got hit, like “Stay thine blade, brother!” or “Stop! We are of the same cloth!” Also, the hit indicators, especially for archers, should not light up from hitting allies the same way it does for enemies.

• If you see me in a group of 3 guys don’t run in to help I may just do a wide swing and kill you while I’m juking around my enemy’s . (joking)

Team damage should be 100% then when you kill your team mates you will think twice about it because more times then not it will leave you in a 1v2+. I’m all for tk’s taking a Kill score away or adding another death to your score and not your teammates. Maybe if it tarnished there K/D then they will help with the objectives more. I would like to see objectives give more score points to encourage them.

Some times it sucks when you try not to hit your team but it can’t be avoided then what do you do? Sorry MaA you had to take one for the team but I got that kill. Just saying theirs no way to stop TK accidents with sharp weapons but I don’t wanna see TK’s for K/D’s.

• I like the idea of taking a kill point away for a teamkill. That would make quite a few people think before swinging wildly, and actually pay attention to where they are in relation to their team. Good suggestion gslashg

• LOL, I’ll let you guys in on a little secret, YES, I intentionally swing through team mates to steal the kills, and YES i am a top scoring player… with a level 40 RANK and a 4 - 10+ KPD avg

Skilled? 1 on 1 I rarely lose, FFA? Always on the top, picking on archers and weakened enemies, TO? I spend the last 5 minutes doing the objective, the rest is stealing kills, LTS? I run around until i find a weakened enemy or archer.

Reason?

It’s a strategy that works, sometimes I can steal a kill without injuring team mates, other times it’s a necessary evil, but the reward is worth it. I do attempt to apologize, but if I’m building my way up the scoreboard I’m probably too busy to acknowledge my TK’s, I hit atleast 2-3 team mates per life, and TK at least 1-2 people per match

If an archer TK’s me without a SOZ or Sorry, I kill them when i respawn… bit of a double standard… but I feel like I’m the only person on the battlefield who shouldn’t be TK’d since Im doing all the work.

But yeah, thats the truth, and I’m sure other top scoring players do the same

EDIT* Another thing is, I mainly do big attacks, I see newbs engaged in epic battles with blocks parrys and all other stuff which is pointless in a big match, I get in there and do the job as fast as possible, usually Downward Chop, Forward Stab, and Swing to finish off an opponent if they have backup, that way my swing kills the weakened enemy and cancels the next attackers attack, allowing me to start my combo again, can take out 3-4 people easily with this strategy

• You sound like a very large d-bag Salesgun. I am almost always a top scoring player as well, and I never have to resort to those tactics.

• Increasing the penalty for TK wont do anything because the people that are TKing a lot usually couldn’t care less about their score…that will just punish accidental TKers harder…

I still advocate the idea of X TKs per minute = auto boot…as determined by the server…

Everyone TKs on occasion…but blatantly TKing people that get 5 TKs in a minute should just be dropped or whatever.

• @Masochist:

Everyone TKs on occasion…but blatantly TKing people that get 5 TKs in a minute should just be dropped or whatever.

What about wayward catapults that drop 4-5 of your own teammates by accident? I’ve had a few :x

• add the option you had back in CS-days.
    vote if you want to forgive or slay the tk:er . after 3 times, a vote to kick him is automated.

• @Salesgun4Hire:

If an archer TK’s me without a SOZ or Sorry, I kill them when i respawn…
    I do attempt to apologize, but if I’m building my way up the scoreboard I’m probably too busy to acknowledge my TK’s

Nice, being a hypocrite. Since rank and score amount to nothing in the long run, i wonder whats the incentive to behave like a total douche?

When i meet a killstealing “topscorer” like you, who doesnt bother to apologize, you’re pretty fast off the server.

As a sword-vanguard myself I have to admit, that i sometimes take that swing through a friendly, too. That totally depends on the situation, tho. For example when i see one of our knights fighting 3 enemies and i can see he’s clearly outplayed or dying soon anyway, i swing thru him, to
    a) get some damage in while the enemy is engaged otherwise
    b) get some damage in before they finish him off and can focus on me 3vs1

@topic:
    the penalty for TK should in my opinion be based on HOW you tkill your teammate. If its a stab thru the enemy (but hitting your mate on the other side of said foe), i would reduce penalty by a lot.
    But if you swing like a moron and/or take a potshot with your bow in the back of your teammate, that should be penalized at least with -20 score.
    Also, you get 5 points for an assist on an enemy, right? Give also -5 points on an assist on a teammate.

And finally show the amount of tkills and/or teamdamage in the scoreboard.

• Actually, tk is rewarded, since it unlocks the weapons (like normal kills).

• It would be nice if it didn’t show k/d till the end of the match in TO. TO seems to have the least downsides to killing your teammates. In-fact it can be helpful if you kill them before a big respawn with lots of other players respawning at the same time. (kill the king objective)

TD you lose respawn units faster.
    LTS you lose possible damage or target dummys. Ive seen a lot of these come down to the last 2 guys.
    KoTH is about the same as TO but I would think its more important not to TK here because of how quick it goes.

• I sort of have an idea for penalites.

Upon teamkilling a teammate your spawn time is increased (doubled). So if it took you 10 seconds to respawn, it would be 20 now.

Also reverse unlocks. If you needed 35 kills until next unlock and you teamkilling someone. Make it 36.

There is no excuse for teamkilling, there is always a reason for it. Stupidity being the most common one. You cannot use left mouse button slash attacks if there are 3 - 4 mates around you.

Because it hurts THEM and they will probably get hit by an arrow and die immediately, you’re really ruining for the team.

If this type of system was implemented people would watch their fire in close quarters, same applies for archers spamming arrows into groups of battle.

General protip: Remove k/d measurement COMPLETELY and just keep the score. This game is being filled with ADHD kids going around saying they’re better because their score is 8 - 2 or something

Inb4 I get flamed to death for this post

• @Stillbjorn:

You sound like a very large d-bag Salesgun. I am almost always a top scoring player as well, and I never have to resort to those tactics.

Ditto

• TK is fine, works well, and doesn’t need fixing.

Haters need a lesson, PM me if you want to see me in action, I will play with any ping.

• @Salesgun4Hire:

PM me if you want to see me in action, I will play with any ping.

Yes… all you’re fan girls are gonna rush to see Captain Salesgun in action.

Get over yourself

• @gslashg:

It would be nice if it didn’t show k/d till the end of the match in TO … [snip]

This would greatly increase teamwork.

@MrLebanon:

@Salesgun4Hire:

PM me if you want to see me in action, I will play with any ping.

Get over yourself

+1

also @Salesgun4Hire the word ‘Haters’ is only used by people who lack the wit to defend themselves with any logic