Thrusting sword/ability

• I know that in Medieval times there was a sword strategy where you would hold the blade of the sword with your armored left hand in addition to holding the handle (like usual) with your right hand, for more thrusting ability and armor pierce. This would be done with a sword designed like the thrusting dagger. So what I am proposing is either a weapon for this tactic or an ability to hold one-handed pointy swords with your left hand on the blade, for very powerful thrusts.
    EDIT: this is called “half-swording”. Article on this tactic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-sword

• Estoc would be a pretty cool weapon to see. Although currently the Sword of War is already pretty much a thrusting sword.

• I think MaA could use a dedicated rapier weapon class.

• I believe that is called “Half Swording” (Warband CRPG mod which i used to play religiously features it)

It would be a nice addition, sacrificing range for power.

• @Kirbies:

I believe that is called “Half Swording” (Warband CRPG mod which i used to play religiously features it)

It would be a nice addition, sacrificing range for power.

Thank you so much, that is exactly what I meant. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-sword

• I’m no sword expert, but the Zweihander has a handle partway up the blade, is that what it’s for?

• @manic:

I’m no sword expert, but the Zweihander has a handle partway up the blade, is that what it’s for?

Did some research (googled, thats what research means nowadays) and it turns out that that second handle-looking thing is just to put distance between the actual handle and the parierhaken, used for parrying, pictured below.

• In addition to that, the Zweihander was often used with the two hands apart (second hand above the first hand guard), so that also acts as a hand guard for the second hand. It’s more reliable for thrusting that way. If you thrust with both hands below the main hand guard, it’s more likely the tip of the blade will just slide off the plate armour, unless you put considerable force in the thrust.

• I would love to see this game…hell ANY game, develop a method of truly rendering half-sword techniques to include possibly even a Mordschlag (murder stroke) in German longsword Harnischfechten (harness fighting) 8-)
    i.e. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordstreich

But in truth I would be just be happy to see the game render the longsword speed properly. ;)

• I was hoping to see it here. But half sword techniques wouldnt really work on this engine. They were meant to be used against other armoured opponents, and used for strong, accurate strikes, and for grappling and tripping techniques.

Yourd get in close, grapple and trip or throw your opponent, and then thrust into him.

• So many good ideas for Chivalry 2 ;)

• @SlyGoat:

So many good ideas for Chivalry 2 ;)

Why even bother with Chiv 2 when we can just make Chiv 1 better?

• I feel like radical redesign of certain weapons such as allowing half-swording doesn’t make sense, because it will make them outshine other weapons by making them so much more versatile - while redesigning every weapon to give them all unique mechanics is just too much work and would be best done from the ground up, I.E. in a new game.

I think the game has a good level of versatility and gameplay depth at the moment and would much prefer to see new weapons and maps and features, and refining of the current gameplay.