Law of inertia

• Don’t know if this is already planned or even implemented by now. But in the first vids I saw there was one thing making me feel uneasy. In terms of graphics and sound Chivalry is taking a big step forwards to a really immersive game, there are even plans for an intuitive audiovisual hud I’ve read about here in the forums.

But there is one thing that can break immersion in a single heart beat: Lack of inertia. Every moving body has to obey physics and inertia laws. If it’s moving/stopping/turning/changing directions without following these rules it instantly looks awkward and makes gameplay less immersive/fun.

I know in some games laws of physics and inertia were abandoned intentionally to create a faster paced game but if you look at some of the newer games (like crysis 2 (though they kinda f***ed up sprinting there)) you’ll see that a fast gameplay and laws of inertia are in no way incompatible if done right.

This game looks really promising and I’d be very sad if all this work in making a immersive first person sword fighting game would go for naught. Lack of inertia breaks immersion more easily than a child an unboiled egg.

Well, I think I’ve talked more than long enough;)
    Please consider my words,

regards,
    Thulgar

• I totally agree

• Do you really need to make another account to agree with yourself?

• Developer

This is something that is very delicate in video games, especially those centered around melee combat. You want to give the player full control but you also don’t want him to be able to do ridiculous or unfair things to his opponent. We know that the movement system in Age of Chivalry was one of its weakest points and we have recently come up with what we believe is an excellent solution. All former media was not using our new movement system and we are very excited to show it off and see what you guys think.

• @b3h47pte:

Do you really need to make another account to agree with yourself?

lol’d

• @b3h47pte:

Do you really need to make another account to agree with yourself?

+1 internet

• **Reminds me of this time when a supposed ‘female’ player on one of my servers posted up pristine pictures of herself, and then the poster after said “Oh so you’re Lisa Mirano?” (Random model name) and then proceeded to link all the places the pictures were pulled from…

It was embarrassing.**

• @Tibberius
    Yep there is always a fine line between feeling like an overly restricted unmovable ball of iron or a sliding hyperactive rabbit^^
    Glad to hear that you’re having plans about this
    I definitely will be looking forward to your new movement system^^

@ the rest
    before anyone else tries to cruciate the author of the 2nd post in an attempt to raise his selfesteem/blow of steam/feel cool or whatever…I will explain.
    Some time ago this game got the attention of me and a friend of mine. We shared the same thoughts about physics and inertia but felt it was too early footage to really judge this game’s physics.
    Now - months later - I checked back in and saw there were no topics about this. So I decided to create an account and write my question/suggestion down.
    After that I called my buddy and told him about that. He said he would look into this thread and the 2nd post is the result. As you see, no double accounts or other wicked stuff going on here.
    I admit the similar register time and post count seems strange but since my decision to intervene triggered his its simply logical.

@the ones who do believe me: thank you;)
    @the ones who don’t believe me: Honestly I don’t really care, but don’t pollute this thread and go blow of steam somewhere else please.

Let’s keep this on topic please;)

regards

• Mods can see the IP address a forum post was made from. All I’m gonna say :D

• I thought I made this clear, but for the last time I will explain:

Since my buddy and me live several hundred kilometers away, I do visit him sometimes to enjoy my holiday at his house (maybe you remember I called him over and the only way I could do that was if he was in the same house)=> him writing the post on the same pc (his pc) is only logical.

This topic is important to me and I called him over to back me up on that, so please don’t go OT anymore with accusations, since this isn’t only unrespectful but also unproductive.

It seems it isn’t allowed to ask a buddy to back someone up so I regretfully apologise, but I won’t react to such disrespectful comments anymore since I find this offending.

regards

• You’ll be happy to know the new movement system works great, its much better than AoC or our old movement system.

@Thulgar:

I thought I made this clear, but for the last time I will explain:

Since my buddy and me live several hundred kilometers away, I do visit him sometimes to enjoy my holiday at his house (maybe you remember I called him over and the only way I could do that was if he was in the same house)=> him writing the post on the same pc (his pc) is only logical.

This topic is important to me and I called him over to back me up on that, so please don’t go OT anymore with accusations, since this isn’t only unrespectful but also unproductive.

It seems it isn’t allowed to ask a buddy to back someone up so I regretfully apologise, but I won’t react to such disrespectful comments anymore since I find this offending.

regards

Thats a pretty damn big coincidence.

• I smell story-changing-after-getting-busted.

• Developer

Topic locked as it was clearly not going to be productive anymore.