Class balancing

• I’ll describe my game experience and hope it can improve the game entertainment, i had a lot of fun playing it and i think it has great potencial so i hope it gets better and better.

I know that there r several known bugs, and that we’re having an update someday soon, but im dont wanna talk about bugs i wanna talk about class balance.

I first started playing with vanguard, wich is by far the most powerfull class, and the easiest to play.
    i was slashing my way through everything, beheading everyone who crosses my way with just a spam of clicks. and my first thought was, ‘this game is amazing’… but latter a week, i got tired of playing with vanguart/knight and went to try archer.

fisrt i thought that ir was really hard to hit as i was trying to keep some distance, and i hardly could hit someone, but i knew i was the one who sucked. as i practiced i discovered that i was way more effective when i was mid range on combat, not so far and no so close, at that point i had actually a good aim and was hitting the targets i wished. but other then the aiming, i thought some difficulties that were not involved with playing skills. I cant understand why archers dont run faster then knights or vanguards, afterall a plate armor do slow u down, such as a two handed weapon. when u as an archer get some knight running ur way u have to hit the right arrow throught his face, if u miss, or hit the chest, or do not have the correct arrow, u wont kill him. and he will reach u pretty quick and one hit ur face, so u have the one chance, to hit his face, considering u have the right arrow, so, if u misss this very hard shot, ur dead, cause if u try to run, some weird dynamic wont let ya, if u try to pull ur sword to defend, some weird dynamic wont let ya, so wut else there is to do? and when u r able to run somehow, he will catch u, cause he is faster then u. i know archers r not supose to kill knights or any melee in close combat but they could at least have some way to evade this situations, wich u cant do anything. vangs and knights r able to slash 360º degrees as they RUN, archer cant even load his bow while running. actually it can bearly run at all… i dont know why but i found that running with an archer is just no the same as with a vanguard.

Well ok u had enough frustration playing with a bow so u’ll try the javelin. OMFG WHY?!
    wuts the point of having a fucking buckler if u have mental aids? cause thats the only reason that u will delay so much afeter throwing a fucking stick, omg i dont know if this delay is some bug or w/e, but it is absurd.

so what im trying to say here is that the besided the several bugs, the classes balance is broken. i had a great time playing with vanguard, but my frustration playing as bowman and javeling were just as awfull. and i know that things can be changed so all the classes will be ok, each doing ur role. and people can have fun playing with them all. sry for the typos since english is not my main language, bye and sorry for the rage at the javas part.

this is a great game and i know its at the very early age, i just hope updates do improve it.

• Tier list:

1. Archer
    2. Man at Arms
    3. Knight
    4. Vanguard

• tierlists are garbage.

Considering that knights 2h Hammer and mAA mace are already offically OP, then why would they be below archer in your magical tierlist?

Actually the classes are quite balanced and im suprised how good they work after all. There’s just small tweaking left, but there’s no need to overnerf certain classes into oblivion.
    The only truely broken thing is that dash abuse -> leg LMG spam which can hardly be a intended / viable use of an evasion ability

• Did you just say Maul is OP and didn’t even mention MaA with Norse sword? This is why you don’t understand tier lists…

Maul is lolbad against anyone with half a brain and MaAs are problematic with the Norse sword.

1. Archer because Warbow and amazing melee capability/survivability.
    2. Man at Arms because Norse sword and forward dodge.
    3. Knight because still pretty tanky with lots of good damage and weapon options.
    4. Vanguard because they don’t have many weapon choices, are kind’ve slow in fights and are beaten by everyone.

• Interesting Tierlist, heres mine:

1.) Knights are ultra damaging, ultra armored, and move pretty much the same speed as everyone else. the hammer is rediculously fast for such a damaging weapon, and the sword is a stabbing machine.

2.) Vanguard do similar damage compared to knights, with an edge to knights because they attack faster and do the same damage. halberd weapons tend to do more damage than knights, while greatswords are about equal, and spears are weaker than the knights gear. they have range though, which makes them good, but they take damage quick.

3.) Archers because they are ranged attackers live longer, and make more kills, generally speaking. they also have a reasonably easy time defending and even attacking other combat classes.

4.) MAA: Very fragile, but quick. easy to pick up, hard to master. they’re weapons are short, and weak, and more often than not the shield is often hit through making this a difficult class to go toe to toe with anyone other than an archer. it can take up to 5 or 6 hits to kill a knight with a nordic sword.

speed needs to be more drastic of a difference.

• @eldiablo1989:

Iit can take up to 5 or 6 hits to kill a knight with a nordic sword.

Norse sword kills knights in 3 stabs and everyone else in 2…

• Can’t speak much for Archering/Knights/or vanguards I hardly play as them, fighting against them as MAA

Vanguards weapons are off, and need some serious tweaking.
    Knights weapons seem legit/ok.
    Archers hehe love attacking them, weapons are ok i think…
    MAA weapons are, cant say much only use the broadsword, bucklershield 8-)

Generally speaking
    I heard Maces are getting fixed against MAA/Archers, havent had problems with them myself.
    some of the polearms are seriously off, Also 1stperson view inaccuraty portrays characters hands with weapon and shield.
    Swords are fine speaking only for the broadsword.
    Shields are fine speaking for only the bucklershield, tho i wouldnt mind a different blocking position.

• There is awfully alot of things I strongly disagree with you all.
    About the little issue with that archers can’t outrun a knight is to make the game balanced, there is a script when the player gets within the chase distance and when the player aims their crosshair on you. enemy so it turns red, thus means that the player will have chase speed while sprinting after their opponent, thus you’ll get more speed than whoever you are chasing. ANY classes can chase and catch up to someone, however to experienced players, there is however one way to lose someone chasing your tail. Try to run inbetween as many objects as you can, so that whoever is chasing you cannot aim their crosshair on you, thus they will lose the chase speed, but may easily recover it once they have you back in their view unless you are out of range, although if you are against an class who is faster than you, then it will catch up to you regardless of chase speed or not. This is a very frustrating thing to come upon, but after playing Age of Chivalry and had to chase an longbowman as an guardsman around aoc_meleefields without catchin up to him, I have to say that this chasing mechanism in the game is great.

Javelineers are for the time bugged, however they will find their place on the battlefield soon enough, they already serve as an anti-archer class despite of their lack of force in melee combat.
    Shield is being used as an active cover while the javelins are for taking out the enemies.
    I find myself in a very troubled situation if I as crossbowman would fire at the javelineer and hit the shield, and then I get quickly countered with a throw.

About your little speech about vanguards, I pretty much have to mention that its easy to go Free for All where everyone are desperate to get their unlocks fast as possible, thus they careless about actually fighting. I dare you to ever try slash spamming against ANY clan player, then you’ll easily see how your special chop and whoop tactic turn to dust, as the clan player takes your life.

All the classes are quite balanced at the moment infact, everyone has their down and up sides.
    Archers advantage is at distance. To attempt to “shotgun” as an archer is a very risky move to perform, either you hit your opponent and live a few more seconds extra, unless you perform something really nice, or you kill him and prevail, the end.

About Man-at arms, there is something you all seem to forget, how agile the Man-at arms is, can easily walk inside or outside range with their strafe speed, they also have a fast sprinting speed. Its not all dodging afterall folks!

Vanguards has currently the weapon with most reach, thus that’s really their advantage. Learn how to use them and remember, spears & polearms don’t work well upclose!

Knights can be both powerful, then weak. You just can’t spam your attacks on it. Be cautious!
    Knights weapon of choice is quite good, though most of them lacks the speed the other classes have.

I’m done saying whatever I wanted to say, and by the judge of what you all say, I have to say this :
    You need practice.

• lol, Just like the last sentence Wolf said. no class is just OP, any class can do as well as any other. It just depends on who the player is, not the class. Practice makes perfect

• @wildwulfy:

All the classes are quite balanced at the moment infact, everyone has their down and up sides.
    Archers advantage is at distance. To attempt to “shotgun” as an archer is a very risky move to perform, either you hit your opponent and live a few more seconds extra, unless you perform something really nice, or you kill him and prevail, the end.

About Man-at arms, there is something you all seem to forget, how agile the Man-at arms is, can easily walk inside or outside range with their strafe speed, they also have a fast sprinting speed. Its not all dodging afterall folks!

Vanguards has currently the weapon with most reach, thus that’s really their advantage. Learn how to use them and remember, spears & polearms don’t work well upclose!

Knights can be both powerful, then weak. You just can’t spam your attacks on it. Be cautious!
    Knights weapon of choice is quite good, though most of them lacks the speed the other classes have.

I’m done saying whatever I wanted to say, and by the judge of what you all say, I have to say this :
    You need practice.

I’m rank 42 and have 170+ hours in this game. I know what I’m talking about. Archers and Man at Arms need nering, Vanguards need buffing. Knights are okay, but the Norse sword needs nerfing and so does the war hammer. You’re the one that needs practice against good opponents.

• @SOC:

1. Archer because Warbow and amazing melee capability/survivability.
    4. Vanguard because they don’t have many weapon choices, are kind’ve slow in fights and are beaten by everyone.

Yesterday I tried to kill Vanguard from behind with archer’s Hunting knife. I did NO damage at all… I chased vanguard for enough time to make 6 attacks (of all kinds).
    Try to hit someone who is running away from you with a hunting knife… You will fail. There is no chances… I had 80 ping - not too much at all.
    If I run too close - I reach enemy’s back and stumble… And if I use any attack - ping does somethimg to me… the knife just does not hit enemy’s back until enemy stops.

Maybe that would be OP to make archers do +100% backstab… but maybe it is possible to make all daggers (MAA too) do +50% backstab. So archers will be able to deal +100% backstabs only with daggers. That would not be OP at all… and maybe make up for dagger’s superlow range (really no chance to hit even unsuspecting target if it runs in the back… and unsuspecting targets are moslty run).

• You’re into something great there, daggers should do more damage from behind than the other weapons in my opinion, even if the mas used the dagger. Should be something special about the weapon, altough 100% is too much.

Hunting knife is the weakest weapon in the game by the way, anyways.
    Boost daggers!

• @SOC:

@wildwulfy:

You need practice.

I’m rank 42 and have 170+ hours in this game. I know what I’m talking about. Archers and Man at Arms need nering, Vanguards need buffing. Knights are okay, but the Norse sword needs nerfing and so does the war hammer. You’re the one that needs practice against good opponents.

Sorry, 90% of your posts are complete rubbish.

• I have to say that I find myself in agreement with Sir Killsalot. The vanguard already have a huge advantage with high-damaging and long range weapon such as the polearms, greatswords and spears. learn how to use them! Infact archers are close to being rates underpowered in my opinion, cause they are rather weak, especially javelineers. Man-at arms is clearly not OP, it can die by pretty much anything aswell.

• I think he was talking to SOC

• @Babar:

I think he was talking to SOC

Aye, I know that. Its good that people come over to the forums and posts about their thoughs and ideas, however they must expect that us clan players who wish to play competive in the game, that we will answer against them IF we feel they’re wrong.

• It’s funny because I own clan players consistently. Even Shara says vanguards are terrible as he pubstomps 70-5 or something in a video with the MaA Norse sword. You think he’s rubbish too, right?

The hunting dagger is the worst weapon in the game. You should’ve used the short sword or at least the broad dagger and then you can lolololown any vanguard with stabs. I do it all the time.

Vanguards do good damage, but they’re way too slow and reach means nothing against good opponents. Charge attack is useless. The only time a vanguard kills me is if they’re on my team and spamming left click. Archers are clearly OP, Man at Arms are clearly OP, learn to play.

• @FUCKTHATSHIT:

I first started playing with vanguard, wich is by far the most powerfull class, and the easiest to play.

Stopped reading there. Vanguards are useless, whenever I get killed by one (which is reaaally rare), it’s because I did some ridiculous mistake. I have no trouble killing them even as archer, it only takes 3 thrusting dagger stabs, and they can’t trade damage or dodge.

It’s pretty much what SOC says, warbow makes Archers OP, MAA’s dodge and base speed are really good and Knights can trade damage against any class.

• warbow makes Archers OP

Personally, I feel the Warbow is the only weapon that actually makes the Archer a viable class right now. Everything else, even the faster Shortbow, is just not enough to cause significant change in competitive play.

Unfortunately, it looks like we’re going to have the second game in a row where Archers will be practically non-existent in competitive play because people don’t know how to weave around arrows or put their shields up in casual play resulting in an entire forum full of new players claiming Archers are OP. I haven’t seen a single Archer in any of the ‘competitive’ games so far and for good reasons and unless you’re damn good with the Warbow, you definitely won’t be on my clan war team as an Archer.

• Just because one player doesn’t know how to use some weapons properly, doesn’t mean that the weapon or the class sucks, I’ve seen experienced players using the spear & polearms with a quite unique technique that kept the opponents at distance. Right, you won’t see any of these tactics or techniques in a pure public server. Come to RK server and you’ll see how depht the combat is there, perhaps you’ll learn a few things or two about weapons you thought were underpowered.

Funny how someone mentioned that archer’s warbow were overpowered.