How do I counter MAA shield clipping?

• The question is simple, I enjoy playing duel mode and I’ve had some troubles dealing with certain ways of opponent’s playing. Most of them I’ve overcome but MaA’s shield clipping with weapons like axes I’m really frustrated with. I play as a knight with 2-hand sword and shield, I like this play style alot, I don’t really care whether it’s the best or not. I’m far too slow to land a strike between the MaA’s flurry of strikes, and my shield is pretty much useless against the shield clipping yet I don’t want to be without it since feint attacks get me much easier then. So I’m looking for some help in this matter, have you encountered the same problem? What did you do to solve the problem and kill that skipping bastard?
    Thanks in advance

• Use a faster weapon against fast opponents, it’ll be hard to use your 2h sword’s range against a Man at Arms who can close that distance, especially since you’re holding it in 1h which lowers its attack speed a lot. Get over your little pride thing if you want to win.

To counter shield clipping, point your shield at the tip of the enemy’s weapon. For axes, you must compensate a lot for that. Don’t just hold your shield up and stare at their face. You’ll have to look to the side and up a lot, and your footwork must be good. The best way to beat them is to never let them in to begin with, using your weapon’s superior range and/or speed to punish him when he does get close and tries to swing. If you’re really desperate for space, try a kick or shield bash but it’ll take a lot of skill to use it effectively and make it worth the stamina.

• a technic that works against all MaAs
    do a combo in the air (like in the tutorial) that always works for me (especially with the maul)

ex:
    -you do a swing without hitting anything ( on purpose)
    -he will try to come and hit you But…
    -you surely will hit him first because you did a combo that he didn’t see coming.
    repeat two times and it’s over.

i hoped i explained myself well and that it will help you.

• @SOC:

Use a faster weapon against fast opponents, it’ll be hard to use your 2h sword’s range against a Man at Arms who can close that distance, especially since you’re holding it in 1h which lowers its attack speed a lot. Get over your little pride thing if you want to win.

To counter shield clipping, point your shield at the tip of the enemy’s weapon. For axes, you must compensate a lot for that. Don’t just hold your shield up and stare at their face. You’ll have to look to the side and up a lot, and your footwork must be good. The best way to beat them is to never let them in to begin with, using your weapon’s superior range and/or speed to punish him when he does get close and tries to swing. If you’re really desperate for space, try a kick or shield bash but it’ll take a lot of skill to use it effectively and make it worth the stamina.

It’s absolutely not that I have to go for a shield and sword, it’s just my favorite, would you think a shield+norse sword would be best then? I get to keep my 2h that way ;)

Edit: I’ll look into the combo tactic, thanks for the tips guys

• If someone has a fast weapon in your face, swinging it around your shield - kick them. BTW, according to Slygoat, holding a 2-h weapon in one hand makes it faster than in two hands (not slower as the man above suggested.)

• @acrh2:

If someone has a fast weapon in your face, swinging it around your shield - kick them. BTW, according to Slygoat, holding a 2-h weapon in one hand makes it faster than in two hands (not slower as the man above suggested.)

Well kicking sure makes the distance larger but it doesn’t help me much, i can’t really hit anything on him if the distance is big, too easily blocked and in the matter of 1-2 seconds he’ll be back in my face.
    And btw I was thinking about going for the tower shield instead, think I’ll try it out now.

• @Teaspoon:

@acrh2:

If someone has a fast weapon in your face, swinging it around your shield - kick them. BTW, according to Slygoat, holding a 2-h weapon in one hand makes it faster than in two hands (not slower as the man above suggested.)

Well kicking sure makes the distance larger but it doesn’t help me much, i can’t really hit anything on him if the distance is big, too easily blocked and in the matter of 1-2 seconds he’ll be back in my face.
    And btw I was thinking about going for the tower shield instead, think I’ll try it out now.

Tower shields are for tanking gameplay. They are absolutely the worst if you want to actually kill stuff.
    You really should consider using Norse Sword + Kite shield as the main weapon combo. Swinging large 2-handers in a team game is a sure way to hurt teammates and get killed by someone with a faster weapon. I would normally whip out my 2-hander only in 1v1 situations, chasing after someone, or when I’m absolutely sure that no one is focusing on me.

• I find every weapon slower in 1h than in 2h, considerably. I’d say falchion would be better than norse because MaA players will be harder to stab since they’re fast and will probably be trying to move at your sides. The falchion would let you slash away with impunity, but personally I prefer the flanged mace which will also help you against other knights, and is very fast. Still two shots MaA.

The combo thing doesn’t work against skilled players (It actually opens you up to good MaA: they’ll forward dodge you before your combo swing and overhead you then get back out), but it does work great against noobs.

• Personally I find LMB swings to be best for taking out MaAs, since a stab or overhead needs to be aimed much more.

They are fast little guys (except when I play them it seems…then i feel like molasses). So they will be harder to hit. So I swing while strafing around them.

• use your 2h sword without a shield then switch to your secondary when they get close and start wapping them in the face with lmb

• @SOC:

I find every weapon slower in 1h than in 2h, considerably.

According to Martin’s damage/animation length tables, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1, wielding 2h weapons in one hand is significantly faster than in two hands.

• Just to add to that, using a shield with a standard 1H weapon (that is, weapons that are not the three Knight bastard swords) does not alter the times. The animations are different though, which can give the effect of different times, but that’s not the case.

• you can also get hit on purpose by the MaA and immediatly after attack him and you will hit him

if he doesnt dodge hes dead

• @Teaspoon:

The question is simple, I enjoy playing duel mode and I’ve had some troubles dealing with certain ways of opponent’s playing. Most of them I’ve overcome but MaA’s shield clipping with weapons like axes I’m really frustrated with. I play as a knight with 2-hand sword and shield, I like this play style alot, I don’t really care whether it’s the best or not. I’m far too slow to land a strike between the MaA’s flurry of strikes, and my shield is pretty much useless against the shield clipping yet I don’t want to be without it since feint attacks get me much easier then. So I’m looking for some help in this matter, have you encountered the same problem? What did you do to solve the problem and kill that skipping bastard?
    Thanks in advance

It’s not shield ‘clipping’ It’s just when they are facehugging you, you have to look more to that direction of the swing.

Sideswing-look almost 80 degrees to your left.
    Overhead-look 80 degrees up.