Additcive but so Gdamn frustratiing

• So I have played the shit out of this since I bought it.

So far I still can’t seem to even get average scores. I try the same tactics as others and it just ain’t happening.

I play MAA and try and dodge and dart stabbing people with a dagger or whatever and miss non-stop or get one hit on them and then one shotted by the enemy because he can swing his friggin 2handed weapon 3 times in the space of time I get one stab on him with the 1 handed weapon.

I play against an MAA and the guy just dodges in and out of my swings shivving me in the chest 2-4 times and seems to be inside my swing arc never getting hit.

I can cite this example for every class. I can’t figure out if it’s lag or the fact I cannot see the damn aiming reticle to know where the hell I am supposed to aiming for a parry or a hit.

I mean really I want to play this and it amusing as hell when things work like they should…but 90% of time playing for 20 minutes to garner 1-10 kills while other people just mow me down in seconds to what seems like lag or faulty mechanics is not fun.

I mean when I press RMB I expect my shield or weapons to parry…most times it just fails to do shit. The shield or weapon won’t even raise or the enemy attack just rolls right through.

When I swing at an enemy who is kissing me, I expect them to be hit not see my weapon look like it is feinting as I frantically mash the friggin attack buttons while they stand there and kill me with seemingly no issue like I am having.

• Definitely not experiencing this, unless someone’s on my network whoring youtube. So I’d assume it’s your latency. What ping are you getting to these server’s that you’re joining?

• It could be lag, but unless you have 500 ping it seems unlikely. You mentioned “frabtically mashing the attack button”, which is the easiest way toget yourself killed. I see two routes you could take. You could:

1 - Learn the system better. There is a bit of a learning curve. Try duel servers, even spectating will help. Watch videos (sharantil on youtube has some good intro videos) and see what people do right nd wrong. Get some friends and experiment. See what works and what doesn’t. This will teach you much more than just running into combat hoping something works.

2 - go knight/tower shield with a longsword and spam LMB oer and over in the big melee frays. You’ll probably get some kills.

#1 is recommended over #2, which won’t teach you anything but you’ll kill some of the non-learning melee frayers.

• You could be going up against people that angle their attacks, try looking directly at the blade while blocking see if that makes a difference.

Does sound like lag to me though.

• I try and play on servers that are 80ms or less and checking my ping is usually 44-60ms.

So I just left another match where I hit a Vanguard with a Norse Sword 4x and see the blood spatter each time…he is still living and attacking me. If I took 2-3 hits as a Vanguard or Knight from any weapon I’d be dead.

The other thing I see non-stop is people blocking/parrying my hits even if I attack them from behind while they are fighting someone else. I swear it looks like on my screen that my weapon is bouncing off their weapons even though they are swinging at the other guy.

I mean what the hell else can be done if I can’t even damage someone from behind and they are super saiyan parrying 2-5 guys at a time.

I see people playing MAA holding of 2-5 attackers…I can barely get my weapons or shield to raise consistently against one attacker.

Maybe the crosshair needs to be bigger and more visible? Because when I am battling I never see the damn dot for crosshair…

Lastly…I can’t tell you how many times I have died from someone’s backswing as I attack form behind either…

• Re: the norse sword, are you swinging with it? Because my mom would survive that (not really). 3 stabs to kill a knight, 2 on anything else, unless you have a talent for hitting legs.

• Do you aim with the shield from where their attacks come from? That got me allot when i started the game when it was in its last three weeks of beta, if the attack is a overhead swing, block up, or left incoming attack, block left. But the MAA class is indeed too damn fast when it comes to their dodge, and some abuse the hell out of it, it’s like fighting a jedi knight. :?

• Yes I aim my shield or sword at them to black/parry. I am aware that you need to point the crosshair at the tip of their weapon but as I keep saying I can’t see my crosshair in battle. It’s white and red…guess what colors the uniforms are?

So another several round of games tonight and fight after my weapon fails to attack and the other guy just swings over and over and over.

If I hit the enemy he just keeps on swinging. So many time I lost count I would get a swing off before they face hugged me and it would miss only to have them insta swing on me and somehow hit when I just missed them as they were out of range.

Saw an Archer tonight score 43 kills…he died 3 times. I don’t think he ever missed a target and when he hit me I died instantly even as a Knight and these were not always head shots

Funny thing is when I use Archer I can’t kill anyone in less than 2 hits.

I swear I must be on of the few people not using modded damage, health or speed mods…I am beginning to think the game is seriously broken.

• @Bellatormonk:

I swear I must be on of the few people not using modded damage, health or speed mods…I am beginning to think the game is seriously broken.

I think you need to learn the game’s mechanics in detail. An archer with war bow or heavy crossbow can be very very deadly compared to the basic bow you start with. Your attack will only interrupt an enemy’s attack if you hit them during winding up. Other people are seeing the cross-hair fine.

This is a game that has a learning curve reliant on skill. Judging by your experience I think the best advice I can offer is to play with a lot of bots before you attempt to play against players who are more experienced.

• Warbow with bodkins can two hit a knight.

• @Bellatormonk:

Yes I aim my shield or sword at them to black/parry. I am aware that you need to point the crosshair at the tip of their weapon but as I keep saying I can’t see my crosshair in battle. It’s white and red…guess what colors the uniforms are?

So another several round of games tonight and fight after my weapon fails to attack and the other guy just swings over and over and over.

If I hit the enemy he just keeps on swinging. So many time I lost count I would get a swing off before they face hugged me and it would miss only to have them insta swing on me and somehow hit when I just missed them as they were out of range.

I totally agree with you.
    Got that issue myself often enought.
    Like: Enemy Vanguard is rushing towards me, I know he will use his sprinting-jump-attack soon, so I prepare to block. He starts jumping, I block… and next thing: I’m dead because he stabbed through my shield (Knight’s tower shield). Just one exemple of enemies hitting right through me shield.

I am also aware that i still need to look in the direction of his weapons tip. Sometimes it also happens that I see enemies that use an overhead attack on me, miss me, hitting the ground next to me, and when they are going to pick up their weapon again I get damaged (got to say that something more or less similar happens sometimes when I attack - stab the enemy and he gets damaged when I pull back the weapon, not when I stab and hit him).

Another issue (at least for me) would be that I try to attack the enemy first with a swing and a stab afterwards and the stab just wont work, I need to roll the mouse wheel 2-3 times until it works… which is to late in most cases.

All this seems like lag but I dont know where it comes from. Have had this issue on different days at different servers.

Thinks like this, need several tries to attack until sth happens ingame or blocking (even with shield) without anything happening make me go enrage and throw my mouse against the wall. (You don’t want to know how my wall looks like.) Please have mercy with my wall.

• I have the same problem, sort of.

Every server I join just seems to have so many good players, I really don’t stand a chance half of the time.

I’ve tried a lot, like really A LOT and I still sort of get killed by some knight with his double side hammer LMBing around. I main the Vanguard and I can’t hold the block on for more than a second thus I am forced to time my blocks to HIS LMB spam that take no fucking skill etc.

I tried a lot and it doesn’t seem to be working all that well for me. On the other hand the game IS addictive. No doubt about it

• @Veniathan:

I have the same problem, sort of.

Every server I join just seems to have so many good players, I really don’t stand a chance half of the time.

I’ve tried a lot, like really A LOT and I still sort of get killed by some knight with his double side hammer LMBing around. I main the Vanguard and I can’t hold the block on for more than a second thus I am forced to time my blocks to HIS LMB spam that take no fucking skill etc.

I tried a lot and it doesn’t seem to be working all that wvested for myell for me. On the other hand the game IS addictive. No doubt about it

I feel and share your pain. On dueling servers everyone else on there is so much better than me, it feels like i’m just there to be harvested for my organs. I think the key is figuring out how to move and angle yourself, keep working on it.

• @burt:

@Veniathan:

I have the same problem, sort of.

I tried a lot and it doesn’t seem to be working all that wvested for myell for me. On the other hand the game IS addictive. No doubt about it

I feel and share your pain. On dueling servers everyone else on there is so much better than me, it feels like i’m just there to be harvested for my organs. I think the key is figuring out how to move and angle yourself, keep working on it.

or just realize that ms/latency is all the matters. The combat system in AOC is so retardedly simple you can master it within 4-10 hours of playing. Just keep forcing yourself to use feints and find a few weapons you work well with. I’d also start out using a shield; it’s a ton more forgiving. I really don’t know why with two handers it only blocks for a second; it’s a pretty stupid mechanic and it should just cost a ton of stamina the longer you hold it, or something else. It punishes the player based on latency, and makes using two handers incredibly frustrating. My suggestion to try is knight hammer+board. Also don’t play archer, it’s a terribly bad class. Yes, you can kill people but not nearly as well as a knight vanguard or MAA.

• Yah after more testing against bots and players I am just going to say Parry is broken. I can clearly see my weapons being raised to parry and 9 out 10 times it fails to parry.

Whatever the mechanics are for damage about basic archtypes taking 1-3 hits to kill is crap also. I stabbed a guy with a Broad Dagger 5x and no death.

Essentially the block/parry and hit detection is so arbitrary and lag dependent 90% of these “skilled” players are just frigging spamming attacks (spray and pray).

Granted I have been in fights where it seems like the mechanics are working, good parry/block and attack moves by both me and my enemy. However the overall experience I am seeing is very little tactics, mostly luck for hit detection and as usual latency dependent.

I am running 30mbps down and 5mbps up so I know my ISP is solid. If I join any server with a ping of 80ms or more…it’s just pure luck to score a hit and I can just about count on parry and block almost never working even though I see the animations working.

• @Bellatormonk:

Yah after more testing against bots and players I am just going to say Parry is broken. I can clearly see my weapons being raised to parry and 9 out 10 times it fails to parry.

Whatever the mechanics are for damage about basic archtypes taking 1-3 hits to kill is crap also. I stabbed a guy with a Broad Dagger 5x and no death.

Essentially the block/parry and hit detection is so arbitrary and lag dependent 90% of these “skilled” players are just frigging spamming attacks (spray and pray).

Granted I have been in fights where it seems like the mechanics are working, good parry/block and attack moves by both me and my enemy. However the overall experience I am seeing is very little tactics, mostly luck for hit detection and as usual latency dependent.

I am running 30mbps down and 5mbps up so I know my ISP is solid. If I join any server with a ping of 80ms or more…it’s just pure luck to score a hit and I can just about count on parry and block almost never working even though I see the animations working.

Whatever you believe, I guess Parry is only broken for you ey? Why is it that parry always work fine for other players? By the way, even bots use feints. Daggers don’t kill people quickly. It’s simple as that. It’s not a primary weapon for any class. Check Martin’s damage chart for weapon damages.

The hit detection is not arbitrary, rather I think it’s simply that you are not yet capable of performing a parry correctly aimed and timed every time yet. You should stop whining about the mechanics and learn/practice. Only a sore loser would blame the mechanics when there are others, using the same mechanics, can perform well consistently.

PS: I’m from New Zealand and play on Australia servers (there aren’t NZ servers) I tend to have anywhere between 90 to 110ms depending on the precise location of the server in Australia. I never had any problem topping charts or winning duels. There are better players than I, but I’m doing well enough, and latency (unless spiking into 200) has never been an issue.