Is 90 ping a disadvantage?

• Hi,

First post on the forum.

My ping tends to be between 60 and 90. In my worst games the ping is closer to 90. Is this game really that ping sensitive, or am I attributing failure to ping wrongly?

Ps- I play Vanguard with sword, and have trouble vs aggressive 1-h users with low ping.

A

• i usualy get 80 -100 ping and usually sit at the top of the table. after playing with bots on 0 ping u can notice a difference but its negligible. Once you push past 150 ping you start jumping around and it becomes unplayable.

• I roll with about the same pings and it’s fine. Just keep playing ;)

• It certainly has an effect upon the timing of attacks for both combatants.

So if you know your own ping, and you know opponents ping, and you are able to accurately compensate for this combined ping - then you’ll be at an advantage.

Thus if you are a lone HPB (100ms+) playing on a server with only LPBs (<40ms) you’ll be at an advantage because you’ll be the only player that has a predictable combined ping regardless of who you are fighting.

Though the truth is that the skill ceiling of this game is low enough for it to not matter; this isn’t a fast paced ultra-competitive FPS à la Quake 3.

• I find that blocks above 90 are far less effective. I see the animation but server-side the block arrives too late. I don’t understand how one compensates for latency, so how is that possible?

For European players with large player base (and good bb) it is not a problem, but for others it might be a problem. If I see my own ping above 80, I disconnect and find a server as it is very frustrating when seeking a flowing battle.

• I try to have it the lowest as possible. Over 80 is too much for me.

• For precise dueling, yes. For general play, it should be alright.

• The smallest time difference of different animations is 50 ms. Assuming for a moment that his entire gameplay style is predictive (eliminating reaction time), a player should start noticing lag due to latency at about that same 50ms.

In reality, you may be used to paying with a 50ms ping. So you should start noticing latency lag at around 50+50=100ms ping. This is when you start saying things like “oh, I was robbed”, or “this parry should have worked.”

• I often see players with 300 ping and usually quite a few with 150+ ping on the same server. I really think there should be a forced ping limit for everybody’s sake.

• When i have over 100 ping, i can just forget about defending, hits will come a milisecond before the animation is done.

• What’s the Unreal engine’s equivalent of Quake’s cl_timenudge & g_antilag?

What’s the default value?
    Is it client-configurable? if so, is it cheat-restricted to within a certain range?

If you were able to configure this, you could easily make your swings appear to others as though they have zero wind-up time.
    While ordinarily this wouldn’t be a problem (as few FPS games have mechanics so tightly coupled to the character animations), Chivalry’s reliance upon character animations for it’s core gameplay mechanics makes it very sensitive to such a setting.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

What’s the Unreal engine’s equivalent of Quake’s cl_timenudge & g_antilag?

What’s the default value?
    Is it client-configurable? if so, is it cheat-restricted to within a certain range?

If you were able to configure this, you could easily make your swings appear to others as though they have zero wind-up time.
    While ordinarily this wouldn’t be a problem (as few FPS games have mechanics so tightly coupled to the character animations), Chivalry’s reliance upon character animations for it’s core gameplay mechanics makes it very sensitive to such a setting.

There’s no equivalent of those quake commands that will help you, unless you are sniping as an archer.
    Remember that Quake prediction settings only help with hitscan weapons hitting enemy players moving in a straight line…

• @acrh2:

There’s no equivalent of those quake commands that will help you, unless you are sniping as an archer.
    Remember that Quake prediction settings only help with hitscan weapons hitting enemy players moving in a straight line…

The Unreal 3 engine does have some kind of antilag system though doesn’t it? (for want of a better description: ‘client-side forward prediction’)

What I’m wondering is if the game experience would be better if it were disabled completely.
    In Quake 3 terminology; I think the game would play better if everyone were forced to play with “cl_timenudge 0” - instead of the current implementation which is something akin to playing with “cl_timenudge -yourOwnPing”

My reasoning behind this is that delaying peoples attack requests (e.g. the time between them pressing the LMB, and them actually attacking) by their ping (~30-150ms) would be hardly noticeable given the wind-up times of most attacks.
    Whereas the upside would be that opponents no-longer skip a (sometimes very large) portion of their attack wind-up animations.

Client-side forward prediction works great for fast paced shooters, where you are rarely close enough to the enemy for its negative effects to be discernible, but for a melee combat game like Chivalry I think it does more harm than good.
    Disabling it would make the game feel more solid and consistent.