New Player w/ some questions

• Hello all, I just recently started playing this. So far, I’m having a lot of fun but I find myself getting equally as frustrated due to my inability to really improve. I am pretty sure I know the mechanics but I guess I may be implementing them incorrectly. Couple questions:

1. My ping is usally around 40-80 (sometimes going over 100, but rarely). Is this good?

2. I play this in first person with keyboard and mouse. I know you can play in third person, and there is also an option to use a controller. Should I be utilizing either of these? First person, though difficult, seems much more fun and immersive.

3. I usually play a knight with the first longsword. I have the others unlocked, but feel most comfortable with that one. Is that not recommended? I also play a vanguard with claymore at times.

4. Everyone seems to be incredibly faster than me. There are times that a knight with a two handed axe can just bash away at me with no time for me to react. How are these characters so much faster? Is it just a matter of lack of practice and reaction on my part?

5. I am playing with pretty much the default settings sensitvity and control wise. Is it recommended to change anything?

6. Any servers that are off limits to newbies such as myself? I sometimes see what seem to be various initials or specifc words in the titles of servers and tend not to pick them in case I am intruding upon something.

Apologies for the long post. I would really like to get better at this game as I think it would be incredibly fun if I could just get the hang of it. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

• as answer to point 5 i would suggest u try the option of increasing field of vision

• @Sir:

1. My ping is usally around 40-80 (sometimes going over 100, but rarely). Is this good?

80 is a little high, but should be perfectly playable. A ping of a under 60 is ideal. This game is more sensitive to latency than most FPS due to its melee nature, so the lower the better.

@Sir:

2. I play this in first person with keyboard and mouse. I know you can play in third person, and there is also an option to use a controller. Should I be utilizing either of these? First person, though difficult, seems much more fun and immersive.

I also find first person a lot more fun and immersive, and that’s why I use it. If you enjoy first person, play in first person. Nothing is stopping you from trying third person or a controller to see what suits you best, though.

@Sir:

3. I usually play a knight with the first longsword. I have the others unlocked, but feel most comfortable with that one. Is that not recommended? I also play a vanguard with claymore at times.

If you’re using the basic longsword, I’d recommend learning how to fight with and without a shield, and the best situations for choosing one or the other, as the longsword is the best bastard sword out of the 3 - the Messer is a lot better twohanded and the Sword of War is a lot better with a shield, so to get the most out of the longsword, you should try and take advantage of that middle ground.

@Sir:

4. Everyone seems to be incredibly faster than me. There are times that a knight with a two handed axe can just bash away at me with no time for me to react. How are these characters so much faster? Is it just a matter of lack of practice and reaction on my part?

If someone is spamming attacks on you, it can feel overwhelming. I see inexperienced players panic when this happens a lot. If you see an attack coming that you can’t block because you’re in an attack recovery or something, just wait for it to hit you and then kick your enemy back or get ready to block the next one. It’s about keeping your head and waiting to see the other guy’s next move - if he’ll combo or not, etc. - a lot more than reacting immediately. If you react immediately and just parry as quickly as you can, you’ll often fail.

@Sir:

5. I am playing with pretty much the default settings sensitvity and control wise. Is it recommended to change anything?

If you’re comfortable with the default setup I see no reason to change anything and have to readjust. Again, like with perspective and input method, just experiment with different sensitivities to see what suits you best. Because sensitivity is slowed to the same amount during a swing no matter what your sensitivity is at, I tend to play on a higher sensitivity so that I can look around me quickly and frequently with small mouse movements, since being caught off guard by a flank is usually fatal. I also play with mainly default controls, but have rebound block to middle mouse and overhead to mouse2 because I was already used to the control scheme of Age of Chivalry. If you’re planning on playing in first person, definitely increase your field of view to the maximum. The increased awareness is crucial. Personally when I played at the default field of view I felt like I had one eye closed.

@Sir:

6. Any servers that are off limits to newbies such as myself? I sometimes see what seem to be various initials or specifc words in the titles of servers and tend not to pick them in case I am intruding upon something.

The only thing to watch out for is duel servers, which are 1v1 fights only - if you join one of these thinking it’s a normal server and just start killing people you’ll usually be kicked immediately.

@Sir:

Apologies for the long post. I would really like to get better at this game as I think it would be incredibly fun if I could just get the hang of it. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to just practice, and don’t limit yourself. Play every class a little bit every time you play, even if it’s just for one objective or a few lives. Once you know how a class plays, it’s a lot easier to play against them. Try to unlock as many weapons as possible and try them all, too.

Also, stick with your team. Being a good duelist is important for when you inevitably get isolated, but at the end of the day it’s a team game, and the team that works best together will win. Look at the scoreboard - find some of the better players on your team, and try to stick with them. They’ll usually know what to do better than most and will appreciate the help with objectives, since 80% of players pretty much just go find the nearest enemy to kill or die to and ignore everything else. Just make sure you watch your swings and don’t end up doing more harm than good by hitting your own team when fighting. Use overheads and/or stabs depending on your weapon unless you’re fighting a lone Man-at-Arms or multiple enemies, where slash is more handy.

• Welcome to CMW

1. 40 is okay…100 not so try to join servers with a low ping, but it’s not like you can’t have fun with 100 ping

2. Use whatever feels more comfortable to you. I use first person personally, but third person also has advantages and disadvantages

3. The first knight longsword is a good and balanced weapon. You can’t go wrong with the claymore either. If a weapon is vastly underpowered (like the double axe…) you will notice it very fast :D You can’t go wrong with the claymore either.

4. 2h axes are actually quite slow, but characters get a short boost to attack speed after parrying an attack. But you have to attack instantly after parrying, or that speed boost is lost. Attacks are also faster if you just attacked, aka doing a combo. You will see these quite often (a vanguard/knight slashing right/left/right). But otherwise all their weapons are as fast as yours.

5. Change sensitivity to whatever you’re accustomed to and simply keep what seems comfortable to you and change what doesn’t

6. If you join a “duel” server (that is in the server name, it’s not a “real” gamemode, mostly these serves are free for all servers) you have to challenge other players first by using your warcry (default B I think) and they have to accept by using the warcry themselves (like the upwards block if you played mount and blade). Nothing else I can think of…

Have fun and see you on the battlefield :D

• @tover:

as answer to point 5 i would suggest u try the option of increasing field of vision

Thanks! I will try that. I think it’s set around 115 or so right now.

Btw, is tover your ingame name as well? I think I may have dueled you. My steam name is PoeticNightmare

• @SlyGoat:

If you’re using the basic longsword, I’d recommend learning how to fight with and without a shield, and the best situations for choosing one or the other, as the longsword is the best bastard sword out of the 3 - the Messer is a lot better twohanded and the Sword of War is a lot better with a shield, so to get the most out of the longsword, you should try and take advantage of that middle ground.

The sword of war has an amazing poke, and is best used with 2 hands IMO. If you are going to use a sword and board go with the norse sword and a tower shield. Sword of War is too awesome when wielded with two hands, and the norse sword is just ridiculous with how fast that thing pokes. Sword of war has the best balance of Reach/Speed/Damage, at least to me.

• thank you all for the tips. I will certainly increase the FOV as right now, I think its too close up.

I tried out the dueling servers. When I saw the server name, I just assumed special rules so I asked what they were before attacking. It is incredibly fun. Although, I found myself overwhelmed when starting to play the TO games due to the much faster paced gameplay.

I do prefer to play the objective and try doing things such as tanking for teamates, basically taking deaths to keep people planted on objectives and such. Once I get the balance of doing this while also holding my own against opponents, I think I could do well. I am ok 1 on 1, but when I see multiple people coming for me, I pretty much go panic mode and play like a complete idiot, knowing exactly what I should have done.

As far as controller; tried it but it felt incredibly sluggish and I couldn’t find away to increase the movement speed with it. Is there a setting for this?

Which one is the norse sword? Is that a knight weapon?

Thank you again for your posts. Anxious to get back into it and improve!

• Sword of War in 2 hands does 75 damage on its stab and has a .6 second windup and .75 second recovery. Sword of War in 1 hand does 70 damage on its stab and has a .45 second windup and a .65 second recovery. Unless you’re slashing with the SoW (not recommended of course), it’s far stronger in 1 hand. I think your experience with the weapon’s power when used twohanded is mostly perception and confirmation bias, or you just prefer to play without a shield. In one hand it is only .05 seconds slower than a Norse Sword while having superior range and slightly more damage (not enough to make any difference, just like the SoW in 1 hand vs. 2)

@Sir Daeryn: The Norse Sword is an unlockable sword for the Man-at-Arms which the Knight can also use (as a secondary weapon). It’s unlocked by using the Broadsword.

• @Sir:

thank you all for the tips. I will certainly increase the FOV as right now, I think its too close up.

I tried out the dueling servers. When I saw the server name, I just assumed special rules so I asked what they were before attacking. It is incredibly fun. Although, I found myself overwhelmed when starting to play the TO games due to the much faster paced gameplay.

I do prefer to play the objective and try doing things such as tanking for teamates, basically taking deaths to keep people planted on objectives and such. Once I get the balance of doing this while also holding my own against opponents, I think I could do well. I am ok 1 on 1, but when I see multiple people coming for me, I pretty much go panic mode and play like a complete idiot, knowing exactly what I should have done.

As far as controller; tried it but it felt incredibly sluggish and I couldn’t find away to increase the movement speed with it. Is there a setting for this?

Which one is the norse sword? Is that a knight weapon?

Thank you again for your posts. Anxious to get back into it and improve!

Norse sword is knight secondary. It’s the last Sword secondary you unlock for the knight. It is also a Man at Arms primary weapon. It is amazing with the shield FYI. Just poke with it, and be amazed.

• @SlyGoat:

Sword of War in 2 hands does 75 damage on its stab and has a .6 second windup and .75 second recovery. Sword of War in 1 hand does 70 damage on its stab and has a .45 second windup and a .65 second recovery. Unless you’re slashing with the SoW (not recommended of course), it’s far stronger in 1 hand. I think your experience with the weapon’s power when used twohanded is mostly perception and confirmation bias, or you just prefer to play without a shield. In one hand it is only .05 seconds slower than a Norse Sword while having superior range and slightly more damage (not enough to make any difference, just like the SoW in 1 hand vs. 2)

@Sir Daeryn: The Norse Sword is an unlockable sword for the Man-at-Arms which the Knight can also use (as a secondary weapon). It’s unlocked by using the Broadsword.

So you are saying SoW is superior to Norse Sword when used with a shield?

• Actually yes, I think the onehanded Sword of War is the best weapon in the game right now, on top of shields being pretty overpowered as well.

• @SlyGoat:

Actually yes, I think the onehanded Sword of War is the best weapon in the game right now, on top of shields being pretty overpowered as well.

Weren’t you the one telling me the Norse sword is OP and “Even Jack Baldy uses it now”. :jrazz:

• @Sir:

@tover:

as answer to point 5 i would suggest u try the option of increasing field of vision

Btw, is tover your ingame name as well? I think I may have dueled you. My steam name is PoeticNightmare

it is and that seems possible tho i cant remember being on duel servers(i may have been tho)

a noobquestion i have asked ingame many times and never got an answer to,so ill ask it here.the description does indeed say u can wield longsword 1handed,indicating u can use a should with it.i have tried picking longsword and shield,then pressing 3 and i do not draw my shield,ive also checked options but didnt find anything that said change weapon stance or grip or smthn.so how would i go about wielding my longsword 1handed?

• @tover:

@Sir:

@tover:

it is and that seems possible tho i cant remember being on duel servers(i may have been tho)

a noobquestion i have asked ingame many times and never got an answer to,so ill ask it here.the description does indeed say u can wield longsword 1handed,indicating u can use a should with it.i have tried picking longsword and shield,then pressing 3 and i do not draw my shield,ive also checked options but didnt find anything that said change weapon stance or grip or smthn.so how would i go about wielding my longsword 1handed?

Press 1 again :D

• Press 1 again :D

hahahaha thats so simple how could i miss it.to me pressing 3(the button thats assigned to the shield)seemed like the logical solution.

thx for fast reply gonne try it now

• @Chuckdatass:

@SlyGoat:

Actually yes, I think the onehanded Sword of War is the best weapon in the game right now, on top of shields being pretty overpowered as well.

Weren’t you the one telling me the Norse sword is OP and “Even Jack Baldy uses it now”. :jrazz:

More than one weapon can be overpowered at a time, you know.

People haven’t caught on to the Sword of War yet or something. If the Man-at-Arms could use the Sword of War nobody would question that it’s far and away the strongest - dodge is part of what makes the Norse Sword so powerful on the MaA because it adds additional reach to the already difficult to react to stab. SoW stab is just as difficult to react to, but happens to have even more natural reach.

Edit: Also, being unable to swap between shield and no shield with some weapons using 3 is a bug. It only doesn’t work for Knight primaries, I think.