Archer/community issues

• After unlocking all weapons, I decided to exclusively play Archer rather then any other class as it is the best class to generally avoid being ganged on.

However as I played it, I am harassed every day of being an archer.

That Archers are pussies, that they take no skill, that its bullshit, that we pretend its CoD and all other inane shit.

I get kicked off cliffs or legit areas that are not in the spawn, get team killed at times.

Hell this is actually my first PC game of this type, I am a console player so I had to get used to it, now i’m a pretty decent archer, however as an archer I can kill anyone in melee, even up to 2 or 3 if I am in an area that is my advantage.

Melee is so easy to do, you just gotta know what to do, but for archery you have to factor in the speed of the arrow/bolt, its trajectory, how far the target is, the target’s speed, then you have to look around the target to see if there is anything that would affect the target’s speed, if not then take an estimate shot.

But with how slow the arrow is, chances are any little movement, even going from running to sprinting would make the arrow miss, or vice versa.

When you compare melee TKs to range TKs, melee are there swinging wildly when I shoot the arrow, generally there is only one enemy there as I don’t risk it if its a team mate and an enemy, then generally a team mate will come during flight and the chance to be hit appears, and sometimes it does hit, but I am the fag right?

But recently I noticed I have been dying in melee and I don’t understand, at times I attack them and the enemy does an instant attack that kills me somehow, or I use the archer’s weapon speed to keep hitting a target that doesn’t defend, and they still manage to swing their 2H despite all my hits and kill me in a hit.

Met someone who said I was bullshit when I was doing good when the game was full, then when it was few and we were able to 1v1, I was disgusted to find there was nothing I can do to kill him.

He was a knight with a shield, and Norse Sword, even hitting his feet a few time does nothing, as I couldn’t hit him in melee.

I don’t know if its this new thing with being unable to interrupt attacks at times, or if his thrust was too fast to counter after I hit him, but for the first time I was unable to do anything.

If I attack and hit him, he would stab me before/while I try to hit him again, and if I don’t try to attack him, he will spam thrust and will eventually get me.

Archer’s only get to make 1 to 2 mistakes, if an enemy makes a mistake you have to take advantage and keep hitting at it, but against this guy and some others they were able to hit me when I took advantage of their error by hitting them and preparing to hit straight away again, yet they were rewarded with being able to attack me when I was attacking them.

Generally I was okay with being harassed as I could just kill them enough to make them to leave, but for the first time I could not with this new…thing happening.

But the point is can the creators of this game make a stand? That harassment of archers will not be allowed or stating archers are here to stay, hell maybe even remove them so I can just say fuck it and think that I wouldn’t want to be apart of such a community.

But I am the fag because I can think about my next move, where the arrow should go, I even had someone complain at me for 2 games because I killed him and his team mate when they both ran at me in one direction against an archer that had plain view, yet they say I am overpowered, because he thinks rushing archers without cover is smart, or just splitting up to make the archer choose was not possible because he thinks he can just run and spam attacks to get kills across the field.

I also noticed some players just keep spamming attacks at me, but I am forced to try to kill them or else their team mates will get around, thus I die, why is it allowed for someone with a 2h to spam swings with very little stamina loss until empty, why not make the bigger the weapon, the more stamina is loss when you miss a swing to make swings count, instead of having everyone with 2h spamming swings hoping to get kills.

After that guy that had me unable to do anything, just feel sluggish now and don’t really want to get on anymore, just need something now.

• AXE suggests thicker skin.

Hardened warriors want to CLEAVE SKULLS, and sticks being shot at them fill them with murderous rage at the one daring to shoot said feathery twigs at them.

If you want to get MANLY about archery. practice your archering on FFA servers. You will learn very quickly everything you need to survive under a hail of attacks. Once you are hardened and start showing signs of a mans beard, you can return to your server and you will find that nothing they can do or say will do more then make you laugh as you CLEA-… can arrows even cleave? AXE does not know. as … AS YOU SHOOT THEM TO DEATH.

If you are in melee as the Agatha archer and not spamming taunts at the enemy, you are doing it wrong.

• @Mogul:

AXE suggests thicker skin.

Hardened warriors want to CLEAVE SKULLS, and sticks being shot at them fill them with murderous rage at the thing daring to shoot feathery twigs at them.

If you want to get MANLY about archery. practice your archering on FFA servers. You will learn very quickly everything you need to survive under a hail of attacks. Once you are hardened and start showing signs of a mans beard, you can return to your server and you will find that nothing they can do or say will do more then make you laugh as you CLEA-… can arrows even cleave? AXE does not know. as … AS YOU SHOOT THEM TO DEATH.

If you are in melee as the Agatha archer and not spamming taunts at the enemy, you are doing it wrong.

You fight well, I shall name a daughter after you.

• Do HO aren’t you a cute one… better not turn my BACK on you!

• @Mogul:

That is quote worthy.

• @Mogul:

AXE suggests thicker skin. If you want to get MANLY about archery. practice your archering on FFA servers. You will learn very quickly everything you need to survive under a hail of attacks. Once you are hardened and start showing signs of a mans beard, you can return to your server and you will find that nothing they can do or say will do more then make you laugh as you CLEA-… can arrows even cleave? AXE does not know. as … AS YOU SHOOT THEM TO DEATH.

I once had an arrow cut off a knight’s arm, not sure if that was suppose to happen so maybe, besides this I already know how to shoot thats not the problem.

Ignoring the community problem about archers, the other problem is being unable to use my speed on enemies, as with speed you are able to spam attack enemies as they flail around till they block or do something other then trying to attack, but recently they have been able to attack through that.

Aswell you are unable to do anything to a skilled knight with a norse sword, they can 2 shot you, the best you can hope for is 4 hit kill against him, all the while he having a suppose quick thrusting weapon, and can apparently hit through being attacked without being flinched, or just having a fast thrust, not sure which one of those it was when I tried.

And are you saying I lack the hair, care for fisty cuffs? I may not be able to do much with archer weapons, but I can still use these…weapons of mass destruction…heh

• @Mogul:

Do HO aren’t you a cute one… better not turn my BACK on you!

The battle’s this way, gorgeous!

• What makes archer fun to play is knowing they sit at home getting enraged! The more whining = the better you are!

I even laugh when I do a mistake and tk someone cause I know the frustration it makes. I type sorry in chat though.

Don’t care you couldn’t kill the knight. They are hard for archers

• @Uber|Soldat:

What makes archer fun to play is knowing they sit at home getting enraged! The more whining = the better you are!

I even laugh when I do a mistake and tk someone cause I know the frustration it makes. I type sorry in chat though.

Don’t care you couldn’t kill the knight. They are hard for archers

Its just the fact for the first time, I was actually unable to do anything, and that something is happening to hinder an archer’s main advantage in melee, which is speed, by allowing enemies to attack you while your already attacking them even though they are not blocking.

I am actually surprised at some of you people, you want to be a real man? Play an archer.

And do good.

Enough so to be the last man standing in LTS and killing the rest of the team, being able to kill other classes in melee because you plainly outplayed them, that you aren’t allowed to make mistakes.

Give chances to the other team when you outnumber them, then allowing them to heal and meleeing the survivor for the win as an archer.

Yet now something is happening that is not my error, and I don’t understand.

• Currently hitting an idle target doesn’t flinch them, you can only stun them if you hit when they are winding up a strike. As recovery time is almost always longer than swinging a weapon (even when its a dagger versus a 2H), its basically a free hit, even if you have just successfully landed an attack.
    Most shitters just spam slash and get rewarded for it, even if they are unaware of this broken mechanic. I abuse it quite frequently in LTS, if I’m fighting the someone and I know I can take more hits than him, I just run up to them, wait to get hit and instantly attack back, it’s guaranteed damage trade, as he can’t parry it.

On archery, I play it alot, but I know I’m a huge faggot for doing it, just accept it yourself =).

• @negocromn:

Currently hitting an idle target doesn’t flinch them, you can only stun them if you hit when they are winding up a strike. As recovery time is almost always longer than swinging a weapon (even when its a dagger versus a 2H), its basically a free hit, even if you have just successfully landed an attack.
    Most shitters just spam slash and get rewarded for it, even if they are unaware of this broken mechanic. I abuse it quite frequently in LTS, if I’m fighting the someone and I know I can take more hits than him, I just run up to them, wait to get hit and instantly attack back, it’s guaranteed damage trade, as he can’t parry it.

On archery, I play it alot, but I know I’m a huge faggot for doing it, just accept it yourself =).

Your only a huge faggot if you shoot blindly at an enemy fighting your team mates, anything else is just how the game was made, also if you disregard team mates when swinging at an enemy makes you a faggot too, its not the class that makes you a faggot, its generally you.

Aswell I suppose that makes sense as the knight’s stab is fast, and I thought my stab was pretty fast as well, guess if you know they take less hits, attacking blindly will win in the end most of the times, well good to know thats how some people think, i’ll factor it in.

• I don’t think a skilled archer should ever be able to defeat a skilled melee character in a fair melee fight. Running away is often your best bet. It’s a support class, and it’s meant to be played as such.

• @GhoXen:

I don’t think a skilled archer should ever be able to defeat a skilled melee character in a fair melee fight. Running away is often your best bet. It’s a support class, and it’s meant to be played as such.

You should still have a chance, otherwise archers wouldn’t have melee weapons at all.

As I stated in the thread dedicated to this particular issue, I agree that being hit in idle stance should flinch you.

• @Zeroace:

Your only a huge faggot if you shoot blindly at an enemy fighting your team mates, anything else is just how the game was made, also if you disregard team mates when swinging at an enemy makes you a faggot too, its not the class that makes you a faggot, its generally you.

Aswell I suppose that makes sense as the knight’s stab is fast, and I thought my stab was pretty fast as well, guess if you know they take less hits, attacking blindly will win in the end most of the times, well good to know thats how some people think, i’ll factor it in.

I’ve tked exactly 7 teammates on all my time playing archer, probably 30+ hours. I always play a step away from meele range so there’s not much room for randomness, allies and enemies switching places and so on. But it has nothing to do with it. If you are an archer, you are queer, its just how it is man.

The sooner you assume it and get out of the closet the better.

@GhoXen:

I don’t think a skilled archer should ever be able to defeat a skilled melee character in a fair melee fight. Running away is often your best bet. It’s a support class, and it’s meant to be played as such.

I kinda of agree, I think archers should have a though time fighting against a knight.

But that doesn’t change the fact not getting flinched while idle is completely retarded, it contributes to spam M1 to win. Jest has great suggestions on his stamina post that would really help balancing this in a rational way.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5124

• The sooner you assume it and get out of the closet the better.

i think u mean accept

if u want to insult people at least try to make sense…freaking tard

• Developer

Perhaps duel mode will help the “melee only” players have their day so archers will be less harassed. Server operators will also soon be able to limit the # of classes per server, so there may be no archer servers as well. I think the majority of players recognize the archer’s role in the game, but there will always be those who complain and the archer is an easy target. Even in the medieval era in real history archer’s were often hated by the more “noble” knights. Perhaps think of it as some friendly roleplaying?

That said, if someone is taking the harassment too far, you should report them or votekick them via the console.

• I wouldn’t take comments to serious, if anything think of it as though they are jealous that you have some form of skill in ranged whereas they just hate it because they can’t learn it / think it’s cowardly.

Those who bitch about it in game are the most likely to be targeted by an Archer, for the very reason of bitching about it in the first place.

it’s all the more satisfying, but as it stands currently and as Tibberius mentioned in a different thread, they are going to be testing some melee stuff.

Seen as the current system doesn’t punish like AoC’s melee strong point xD

We unfortunately have to deal with kicks off cliffs, areas etc, but if you wanna be the jerk in it, take a shot at them during their melee, I do it occasionally to those who do it repeatedly, just to let them know that They may have the melee advantage, but I have the range Advantage of screwing up their fights…. but that’s if you’re an ass like I am at times :p

Archers melee is very different compared to AoC, AoC a skilled archer would skin you alive, currently not going to happen to most players so hang in there, focus on using your team mates to your advantage and I guess try practicing melee archer in Duel servers and find which attacks are faster vs certain things… IIRC the current buggy problem is that you can stab immediately after parrying rather than a bit of a wait, it’s what some are doing anyhow.

Take a Breath, Draw your Bow and Let the Arrow do the talking to all those who question your skill :p

• @tover:

The sooner you assume it and get out of the closet the better.

i think u mean accept

if u want to insult people at least try to make sense…freaking tard

meh english isn’t my native language but still I ain’t so bad at it, stop grammar nazing bro

also, lighten up, it’s just a joke

• your letting the clowns get to you kiddo……

• @ OP it seems as though you wrote a very long post to say that people don’t like the fact that you’re an archer. This is a very melee centric game so it’s no surprise that archers aren’t popular. Some consider it cheap and cowardly to sit back and take pot shots at guys engaging in melee combat.

I don’t disagree with you in that it is a viable tactic but that doesn’t mean people have to love you for it. If you want to sit back and pluck people from downtown do that, but coming on here and asking for the devs/community to feel sorry for you is a bit much. You made your choice live with what comes with that decision.