Bleeding Damage (in rare circumstances)

• This has been suggested a few times and I dont think we should have a blanket ‘bleed’ damage for every hit, but bleed damage as a weapon specific trait might be interesting.

Bleeding Damage

Not for all weapons, but for some of the more lean butcher-like blades that the archers and MAA have.

One thing this may help with (in moral terms) is the situation which I encounter often when I play archer, mostly because I’m not so good. You are an archer and a big knight runs up to you, you slash them to pieces and block their attacks but your little knife does not do quite enough damage so they eventually bash your head in. Or their fried comes round the corner before you can deal the final blow and bashes your head in.

I generally dont mind dying in this manner, I should have run away, however in reality a well placed couple of knife strikes could leave a knight bleeding so they would drop dead after killing the archer.

So how about bleeding damage for a few seconds:

1. Only small keen weapons of the quicker classes

2. Only occurs when a character is below a certain health (to simulate weakened armour or something)

2. Not on every strike but perhaps on a % chance (critical style)

4. Never happens in conjunction with a ‘sneak attack’ rear bonus that archers get (that would be silly powerful)

In response to this:
    @Tibberius:

There will be no bleeding or crippled effects in the game, the reason for that is because we don’t want to limit a players potential on the battlefield by imposing restrictions or limitations on how dominant you can be, if you are a skilled player.

The idea I am throwing out is more of a ‘take off the last few HP points’ rather than a long term bleed from the first strike kind of thing. I also think it would help make the efforts of a skilled knife fighter more significant against a knight spamming swing.

its probably too much bother to implement but just a thought

• 2. Only occurs when a character is below a certain health (to simulate weakened armour or something)

This was actually the case in War of the Roses, if you dropped below 20 health, you would bleed, people always thought it was related to the actual weapon for some reason, but it never was. Was it annoying? Hell yes. Would it be good for Chivalry? Honestly, it really wouldn’t; every time you’re in a fight and you drop below that barrier, you’ll be frustrated at the ‘timer’ that’s imposed on you to live. Percentage chances would also amount to pure frustration.

I get the feeling the reason you’re suggesting this is because you find yourself slashing an enemy a lot, and then dieing to a single strike. I think if you took a step back, did attacks like stabs instead (which in Chivalry, do more damage to Knights compared to the slashes, at least with the bladed weapons) and parried and countered rather than trying to spam your way to victory, you will find yourself less annoyed when fighting Knights in melee as an Archer, or MAA. Of course it’s more difficult, but given time and practice, you can still beat almost any player if you don’t make a single mistake.

• @Martin:

2. Only occurs when a character is below a certain health (to simulate weakened armour or something)

I get the feeling the reason you’re suggesting … [snip]

lol every other post in this whole forum boils down to ‘learn to play’. All players assume other players are just running around not thinking

Havent played WotR, sounds like an annoying feature, but as I said it wouldnt be a blanket ‘bleed’ effect

• @Martin:

This was actually the case in War of the Roses, if you dropped below 20 health, you would bleed, people always thought it was related to the actual weapon for some reason, but it never was. Was it annoying? Hell yes. Would it be good for Chivalry? Honestly, it really wouldn’t; every time you’re in a fight and you drop below that barrier, you’ll be frustrated at the ‘timer’ that’s imposed on you to live. Percentage chances would also amount to pure frustration.

I get the feeling the reason you’re suggesting this is because you find yourself slashing an enemy a lot, and then dieing to a single strike. I think if you took a step back, did attacks like stabs instead (which in Chivalry, do more damage to Knights compared to the slashes, at least with the bladed weapons) and parried and countered rather than trying to spam your way to victory, you will find yourself less annoyed when fighting Knights in melee as an Archer, or MAA. Of course it’s more difficult, but given time and practice, you can still beat almost any player if you don’t make a single mistake.

If that would ever happend, and I’d make my opponent bleed, I’d just apply pressure to him to keep him in combat just for the lols.

• % chance? Really? REALLY

• Use fire pots, they are very hard to miss with and equals about an extra hit from a MaA weapon!

• Bleeding takes away the skill factor.

In War of the roses everytime someone begins bleeding all the opponent has to do is stay back and prevent them for bandaging (or in Chivalry it would be regenerating overtime).

Basicly it is: “get some1 to xx% stand back and wait for them to die”.

The way it is is amazing, i’ve lost the count to the times where i am almost HP empty fighting 2 opponents and i manage to kill them all and walk away. THAT takes skill, have one of them get me to low %, trigger a bleeding and wait for me to die…yeah.

It’s a stupid annoying mechanic that serves as a hand-helding mechacnic to noobs.

• oh hell no, i absolutely hate this feature in War Of The Roses and its one of the things i don’t play the game anymore, it totally ruins a good fight, instead of getting finished or finish someone you just drop dead…. :x