Source license?

• You’re using the old 2006 engine or something? lol how much is it?

License, so, you’re allowed commercial use, aka making money

• Pricing for the Source Engine license is discussed under NDA. Since AoC was a free mod, there were no costs involved.

• Who owns the rights? In terms of updating through Steam or unofficial files?

• You update how you want, when you want; it only goes on Steam if you request to put it there and they agree. Too bad Sourceforts never made it to Steam, I liked that mod…

• But could a third party donate to Valve and then update? I assume the group here owns the rights?

• Developer

The rights to Age of Chivalry we own, the rights to a source engine license we do not and never have. Anyone can create a mod, to go commercial you need the license. That is part of the reason that we switched to UDK for the new project, because source engine license was denied to us. Although we’re now much happier for it :).

• lol I think everyone is much happier about it.

• Except for people that can’t run Unreal Engine games. But those people are behind the times anyway, and need an upgrade. lol

• If your computer is from 2004-2005, you can run Unreal Engine 3 games. Albeit, with tweaks and low settings, but playable.

Also, I dunno if I’m happier for it. I love Source, despite it’s flaws. Sure, the newer videos look insane, and will surely be better than AoC ever was, especially the hit detection, but still…I’ve never found a Source based game I did not enjoy.

• @Martin:

Pricing for the Source Engine license is discussed under NDA. Since AoC was a free mod, there were no costs involved.

how do i get the source mod the HL2 mod to run age of chivalry w/o purchasing one of the games for it?

• You can’t. You need to have a source game that comes with the SDK in order to run any source engine mod. This is not only for legal reasons, but also because the mods use textures and models, as well as the engine itself, from those games. To try to run the mod without them would not only give you far more errors than you could possibly imagine, it simply won’t start without that engine.

• dl tf2, it’s free :)

• Source SDK Base 2006/7
    Source SDK

All free now. You can dl Age of Chivalry free by just going to the page on Steam

• @zachary:

@Martin:

Pricing for the Source Engine license is discussed under NDA. Since AoC was a free mod, there were no costs involved.

how do i get the source mod the HL2 mod to run age of chivalry w/o purchasing one of the games for it?

You download TF2. (which is free)