So.. hammer

• Why am I being 1shotted by the maul as a vanguard… Or he throws an axe at me, then hits me once with the hammer to kill me easily.

Seems pretty terrible.

• Stop getting hit. There are two basic maneuvers to accomplish this:

1. stay away from the hammer, if you have better range you might even be able to hit him while he misses you

2. parry (RMB), if you have trouble with the timing ask a friend to duel you with the hammer so you learn the timing

• The above said it. Just don’t get hit. A good mace user will kill you every time, so instead of trying to learn how to block it, I would concentrate more on dodging, and learning how to approach for an attack.

• Why am I being 1shotted by the crossbow as a knight… Or he throws an javelin at me, then hits me once to kill me easily.

Seems pretty terrible.

• @x123:

Why am I being 1shotted by the crossbow as a knight… Or he throws an javelin at me, then hits me once to kill me easily.

Seems pretty terrible.

You’re not. Knights only die in a single ‘hit’ from Ballistae and Catapults, nothing else.

• @Martin:

@x123:

Why am I being 1shotted by the crossbow as a knight… Or he throws an javelin at me, then hits me once to kill me easily.

Seems pretty terrible.

You’re not. Knights only die in a single ‘hit’ from Ballistae and Catapults, nothing else.

A headshot with a crossbow wouldn’t kill a knight in 1 hit?

• It seems it only do 90 hp damage with a heavy one.

• @Suncross:

@Martin:

@x123:

Seems pretty terrible.

A headshot with a crossbow wouldn’t kill a knight in 1 hit?

Unfortunately not, no. Fingers crossed it will be possible soon though.

• At least you only have to sneeze at them to kill them after you get them in the face with the crossbow, so they can’t trade a hit with you to kill you.

• @Martin:

Unfortunately not, no. Fingers crossed it will be possible soon though.

While AXE enjoys mowing down archers like so much grass, he does feel the heavy crossbow could use this feather in its hat. Given its disgustingly long reload and lack of mobility when compared to the Warbow, and lack of utility compared to the Javs and shield.

Axe wishes to cleave the heads of worthy foes, rather then pitiful crossbow using dress wearers who bend over and accept it.

• Who the hell is AXE? :(

• Maul is slow and predictable, there is a little point to feint with that weapon. It however, does sometime one hit kill. As vanguard, you have advantage over range, you can just poke him to death.

• @Necramonium:

Who the hell is AXE? :(

AXE is battle hunger incarnate. The bringer of GORE and the red mist!

AXE CULLS the weak and removes their heads from their shoulders!

You get nothing. GOOD DAY SIR.

• @Mogul:

AXE is battle hunger incarnate. The bringer of GORE and the red mist!

AXE CULLS the weak and removes their heads from their shoulders!

You get nothing. GOOD DAY SIR.

I heart you AXE.

• Maul is a pubstomp weapon that’s great at taking out noobs quickly. It has one of the highest (if not the highest) damage stat in the game, so its overhead is brutally powerful. But it’s so slow and the range isn’t that great on it, it’s extremely predictable and so easy to bait. Any time you lose to someone using a maul, you made mistakes. Work on improving your gameplay and you’ll lolown anyone who uses the maul. Like everyone else said in the thread, just don’t get hit. The game is about not getting hit. Think of vanguards being as squishy as man at arms or archers.

• I like how everyone’s just saying ‘if you lose to the maul, l2p’

When really most pub servers are just melee spam deathmatch where people just come up behind you with the maul, or even worse ffa…

Yes, i can totally block/dodge something coming from behind me while im fighting someone else.

• @Dragonzord:

I like how everyone’s just saying ‘if you lose to the maul, l2p’

When really most pub servers are just melee spam deathmatch where people just come up behind you with the maul, or even worse ffa…

Yes, i can totally block/dodge something coming from behind me while im fighting someone else.

If you’re getting beat by melee spam, learn to block. If you’re getting killed from someone behind you, learn to position your self better and know where to be at all times of the game. Have good situational awareness.

You can totally block/dodge something coming from behind while you’re fighting someone else. It’s very possible to win 1vs3s or even 1vs4s as long as you’re that good. You have to outplay all your opponents, striking when the time is right and keeping your eye open on everything all the time. It’s all about situational awareness.

Beating the maul is just one of those first steps out of noobhood into becoming a better player.

• I am in love with the Maul I even use it in duels, it’s very easy to counter especially with a fast weapon.

Don’t be afraid to get in close and start swinging, just don’t miss a parry if they throw an attack.

• Maul is an excellent weapon in FFA specifically because it’s so easy to waltz into a fight and kill everyone with spam, or assassinate people from behind with an overhead.

However, once you get better at the game and move away from FFA, you’ll see less and less of the maul, and just chuckle when you do. Here are some basic tips for fighting a maul:

1. It has the longest windup in the game. If you have a fast weapon, just wait for him to start attacking and hit him, it’ll cancel his windup.
    2. It has the longest recovery in the game. Backpeddal and make him miss, then stab him.
    3. It has relatively short range. If you’re a Vanguard you outrange it with any of your weapons - just constantly stab at him and force him to go on the defensive, which will slow his advance. If he parries and counterattacks, just wait patiently for his windup to be about to end and then block and throw your own counter.

• … the maul needs to be this strong … it slow and moderate reach … its actualy quite easy to parry … and after all its a bloody maul ffs! …

learn to parry