Game is very frustrating.

• Now, I know the title is a bit harsh or hardcore.

I will begin by saying I do not want to sound like a whiner or complainer, it is not the mere reason I am here to begin with. I just want to say what I think of Chivalry … Which does not happen to be positive.

I’m sure a lot of people love this game, and I like it too. But it is extremely frustrating, I’ve played a LOT of Age of Chivarly and I was a professional there … By pub game standards. I loved the balance in that game and all.

Now, I’m a guy of polearms. I love polearms, so I’ve tried maining the Vanguard class. I’ve managed to play this game 19.2 hours and I just can’t continue anymore.

I work all week days and 80% of my day, I return home to play videogames and relax. This game just isn’t doing the trick.

I’ve been met by a lot of people just spamming attacks, lagging around and even speedhacking (see forum threads here).

I want to know if the devs relized this game would be a lot more frustrating than actualy you going “Oh fuck this game is a 10/10”.

I mean here is an example, take the Knight class and a two handed weapon. Go into a group of enemies/friendlies in a fight and just slashspam your attack. You are bound to get kills and also teamkills. But who cares?

There are no penalites for teamkills, infact it counts as a kill towards your next unlock! So it’s a promotion to you. Sure you get -10 in your score, but does score matter THAT much in this game? I doubt it.

Or here is another example, take the archer and get up to any position where the enemy can’t get easly to you and just spam arrows. You are going to piss people off a lot, is this really a thing the devs call gaming?

I mainly try playing the objective rather than getting kills, and I never really manage to defend myself in time. I often get abandoned by teammates going for the objective and the opposite team gangs up from all sides just mutilating my body.

And what the fuck am I supposed to do as a Vanguard when this huge knight comes at me swinging his double-handed warhammer? I have to keep my crosshair at his tip of the weapon and as the vanguard cannot hold blocks he MUST time them to the spam he recieves.

So the scenario is: Big guy swings his big hammer around with no penalties while the player whom plays the game in the way it should be played is suffering from keeping up.

This game is not much about skill as long as you learn yourself 2 - 3 cheap tricks you can always use, it’s embarassing to call this game an AoC sequel.

I’m sorry if this post upset anyone, would be nice if you guys discussed this civilized and atleast help me understand what I am doing wrong here. But how big are the odds of that?

Probably gonna get flamed to hell and back and then banned on the forum.

• I want to start out by saying that your post isn’t very constructive and much more of a rant. Now, with that out of the way, I’d like to help make your post more constructive and provide some feed back from my point of view of what has helped me get to rank 40 and really love this game. In advance, thanks for reading it.

@Veniathan:

Now, I know the title is a bit harsh or hardcore.

I will begin by saying I do not want to sound like a whiner or complainer, it is not the mere reason I am here to begin with. I just want to say what I think of Chivalry … Which does not happen to be positive.

I’m sure a lot of people love this game, and I like it too. But it is extremely frustrating, I’ve played a LOT of Age of Chivarly and I was a professional there … By pub game standards. I loved the balance in that game and all.

Now, I’m a guy of polearms. I love polearms, so I’ve tried maining the Vanguard class. I’ve managed to play this game 19.2 hours and I just can’t continue anymore.

I work all week days and 80% of my day, I return home to play videogames and relax. This game just isn’t doing the trick.

I’m with you so far. It sounds like you’ve had a rough time actually enjoying the game.

@Veniathan:

I’ve been met by a lot of people just spamming attacks, lagging around and even speedhacking (see forum threads here).

Let’s break down these points.
    1. Spamming
    I’ve always felt that the person spamming has the biggest disadvantage. If you simply parry/counter or just attack during a missed swing, it seems very easy to take down these people. There is a whole lot of time during a swing where you are left open. Try to take advantage of their recklessness.
    2. Lagging
    This seems to be an almost unavoidable problem in any game. Talking about interpolation and feedback between packet to server and predicting movement, it gets very difficult to provide accurate feedback. I can think of a solution that may not be popular and that is ping caps on each server. This should of course be followed by a push to have more server locations.
    3. Speedhacking
    I completely agree with you that security should be a top priority in any competitive game and I hope it is addressed in a timely manner.

@Veniathan:

I want to know if the devs relized this game would be a lot more frustrating than actualy you going “Oh fuck this game is a 10/10”.

I mean here is an example, take the Knight class and a two handed weapon. Go into a group of enemies/friendlies in a fight and just slashspam your attack. You are bound to get kills and also teamkills. But who cares?

There are no penalites for teamkills, infact it counts as a kill towards your next unlock! So it’s a promotion to you. Sure you get -10 in your score, but does score matter THAT much in this game? I doubt it.

I have mixed views on this. When you walk into a group of 5 agatha vs 1 mason, you have to know there will be collateral damage. It will only take a couple of swings to kill the person, yet there are way more than a couple of incoming attacks. Some attacks will simply go forward and hit your teammates. The best advice I can give is to not leave yourself so open. The way you typically get hurt by this is by being overly aggressive and getting attacked while mid swing. I personally avoid confrontations such as this. When I approach a battle, I take under consideration the atmosphere. Watching teammates as well as opponents to see their play style. Don’t be afraid to avoid a fight all together if you have multiple teammates comboing uncontrollably against the wind.

@Veniathan:

Or here is another example, take the archer and get up to any position where the enemy can’t get easly to you and just spam arrows. You are going to piss people off a lot, is this really a thing the devs call gaming?

I will have to personally disagree. Now, I typically play Knight with no shield so I understand the frustration against archers, but that is just them playing correctly. A good archer will attack from a location that is easily defendable or out of reach. But know that having too many archers is a hinder on advancement. You need feet on the ground to push the objective forward. Camping will not do it.

@Veniathan:

I mainly try playing the objective rather than getting kills, and I never really manage to defend myself in time. I often get abandoned by teammates going for the objective and the opposite team gangs up from all sides just mutilating my body.

My good friend Mithron explained this well to me when I complained of the same thing. When you’re attacking, there are several strategies and outcomes. Players will not all go the same path. This usually means the same result. There will always be more defenders grouped around a single point. The fall out of this is the simple fact that they will not be able to defend every single point.

@Veniathan:

And what the fuck am I supposed to do as a Vanguard when this huge knight comes at me swinging his double-handed warhammer? I have to keep my crosshair at his tip of the weapon and as the vanguard cannot hold blocks he MUST time them to the spam he recieves.

Parry/counter. Or dodge/avoid and attack. That hammer has a very short range. Don’t get hit and take advantage of his aggressiveness.

@Veniathan:

So the scenario is: Big guy swings his big hammer around with no penalties while the player whom plays the game in the way it should be played is suffering from keeping up.

This game is not much about skill as long as you learn yourself 2 - 3 cheap tricks you can always use, it’s embarassing to call this game an AoC sequel.

While you are absolutely correct that a couple of tricks will help and may provide you with a higher than average kill count, they are merely an advantage. Tricks will only go as far as the knowledge of the enemy. Someone who knows the trick will know how to counter it or at the very least, see it coming.

@Veniathan:

I’m sorry if this post upset anyone, would be nice if you guys discussed this civilized and atleast help me understand what I am doing wrong here. But how big are the odds of that?

I hope my response helps. And if it doesn’t, hopefully it will spark a constructive discussion to help others who may be feeling the same way you are.

• @Veniathan:

First wrong thing is coming in here with a very annoying attitude. Second, it sounds like you should be playing FFA and just going around swinging like crazy. Doing TO can be very frustrating with a bad team, so even if you are really good, you still get swarmed while being shot from afar. If you want to actually get good at the game, I recommend doing a lot of dueling to learn the finer points of Chiv, then translate those to TO which will help against those knights.

tl;dr Tone down the attitude, play FFA to relax, and duel to sharpen skills.

• @Veniathan:

LMB spammers don’t live long and are very easy to counter, if you are paying attention. They are also at the bottom of the score list more often that not.

I’m hoping that the upcoming patch will add harsher penalties for team kills. I don’t know if team kills actually count toward weapon unlocks.

Archers don’t piss me off nearly as much as LMB spammers of my own team do.
    It is very difficult to hit an actively dodging target in this game with arrows. If you get hit with an arrow, try to find out where it came from and make sure to dodge when you see the firing animation. If they have way too many archers, get a shield and just go and kill them. It’s actually very satisfying hunting down those archers.

That’s the nature of such a game type. You have to develop situational awareness. After 100+ hours in the game, I still get pwnd hard by 2-3 people that seemingly just came out of nowhere. Still, I’m usually at the top of the list with 2/1+ k/d ratio.

That’s actually a very bad example, since the Maul guy has almost no chance against a polearm guy - polearms are much faster, have much longer reach, and deal almost as much damage as the Maul.
    This just shows your inexperience.

I disagree wholeheartedly. This game requires tremendous skill. The learning curve is very steep. But after you play a little more, perhaps you will learn not to fall for these cheap tricks.

On the other hand, maybe you should try another class like the knight. Norse sword + Kite Shield and Sword of War + Kite Shield as a backup is one of the most powerful offensive+defensive combinations in the game. In tight spaces, you could possibly handle up to 3-4 people at once with that setup.

• Atleast these replies are constructive and not made up by some 13 year olds with ADHD spamming “lel u qq more xddd”

So thank you for that one (no sarcasm).

And also to begin with, I will simply say I do not like Free for All mode because it’s absolute crap and way too boring.

I just feel like this game is full of people that do not relize they are ruining the game for others, like not playing the objective.

There should be bad penalties for the objective play, such as if you do not play the objective for a long time your score or kills will not register until you go back to play the objective and then your time will reset.

• This isn’t AoC, and it isn’t AoC-2. It’s a completely different game with different mechanics and different skill sets. Just because you’re good at AoC doesn’t make you good at this game. It’s like trying to say you’re good in Call of Duty so that means you’ll be good in Halo. Or you’ll good in Super Smash Bros so that means you’ll be good in Street Fighter.

I think a lot of what you posted comes down to you just needing more time to develop your skill sets in the game. It’s a brutally challenging and difficult game, and I agree there are plenty of frustrating factors in the game, but once you overcome these challenges and master them, you’ll consistently pubstomp and have 50-5 games using any weapon on any class on either team. You may not win many games as attacking team (since you’re required to depend on team mates), but you can still achieve consistently high KDs regardless.

I think you’ll be great at this game, just don’t give up. The patches are only going to make this game better and better.

• As said above a common way to avoid most of your frustrations is to simply not engage large group of enemies alone and be aware of your positioning. Remember to parry and attack when the opponent misses. As for LAG issues I find that multiplay servers with low pings or the offical servers seem too play smoothly for me. Even though some other servers have low ping i find the syncing is wrong. Personally i haven’t seen many hackers and you can just change servers or votekick him same with TKERS. As for people not doing the objective im afraid nothing can really be done about people who just wana frag. There is not a huge incentive to win a match.

• Veniathan just described how i felt when i started playing this game… And also… Your name sounds familiar. (Im RK | Apple Bloom on steam by the way.)
    There is one thing you as a veteran of Age of Chivalry need to come to understand: What you has learned in Age of Chivalry is USELESS. Hard to accept but that is how it is.
    As for the Maul, i think it is pretty balanced so that even a Archer that knows what he is doing can force a Knight to back down or swap to his backup weapon. It is so slow that timing is required to be effective at all. Hard but highly rewarding weapon to use when im not playing Archer :P.

What i learned in Chivalry
    Slash is not evil, but use it sparingly. If you slashspam you will usually end up dead, but slash intelligently with other attacks and you will succeed.
    To know your enemy, be the enemy. Play other classes with their weapons to learn their weaknesses and strengths.
    Transitioning yourself from Age of Chivalry to Chivalry: Medieval Warfare will take time. The only thing you may have with you is that it is easier to learn weapon timings.

My input :).

• @ChJees:

(Im RK | Apple Bloom on steam by the way.)

You are Apple Bloom??

You made me hate apples…

Greetings… Sir Joffrey Von Veldenstein. 8-) :P

• @Chuckdatass:

@Veniathan:

First wrong thing is coming in here with a very annoying attitude.

Who the fuck put you in charge?

The game is very frustrating and seriously laggy and broken in various areas. You all know it and this constanst “be postive” bullshit is even more annoying. Sure the game is a great concept and “dual servers” that allow 1v1 seem to demonstrate most of the mechanics seem to work but we all know very well there is a lot of improvement needed.

The sheer fact this game has been worked on since early 2010 and still has as many problems as it does is disheartening.

• is your biggest problem the slash spamming knights ? :D it takes 3 seconds to kill them srsly, dont be nub :P about the team kills, yea there are a lot of noobies, i usually stay away from my team ^^

• Just block and counter the LMB spammers, or better yet, pick up a spear/polearm and stab them from range just to watch them rage.

• @Bellatormonk:

@Chuckdatass:

@Veniathan:

First wrong thing is coming in here with a very annoying attitude.

Who the fuck put you in charge?

The game is very frustrating and seriously laggy and broken in various areas. You all know it and this constanst “be postive” bullshit is even more annoying. Sure the game is a great concept and “dual servers” that allow 1v1 seem to demonstrate most of the mechanics seem to work but we all know very well there is a lot of improvement needed.

The sheer fact this game has been worked on since early 2010 and still has as many problems as it does is disheartening.

This game has been worked on since 2010?

I thought this development was brand new … Jesus.

• Man all this butt anger is making me want to play. I just clicked on the icon and am going to do all the wrong things as soon as I find a server that is low enough ping.

• My suggestion is to play on the clan server or other controlled servers if crazy TKing bothers you.

• When I jsut started playing Chiv I felt about the same as you do Veniathan.

Especially frustrating were the fast weapon LMB spammes when I was playing 2 handed…

So I started playing exclusively duel servers and that is what I recommed to you.

Playing TO or LTS or FFA there is too much going on at once to get used to mechanics of fighting.
    Play duels only until you start winning them!
    Play until you can win at least a 3rd of your duels and only then move to other game types.

You gotta get a good feel for weapons/distances/speeds etc then multiple people fights will make much more sense to you.

• @Veniathan:

This game has been worked on since 2010?

I thought this development was brand new … Jesus.

Yeah I thought they managed to code the excellent melee system and make all of the models and textures and maps in under a month. What gives, Torn Banner?

• AXE feels the sound work in the game alone is worth his hard earned gold.

Game only costs like… 12 CS worth of gold anyway.