Dodge and ducking for other classes

• Vanguard at least need the ability to dodge in-coming arrows, fish tailing everywhere is kinda lame.

To balance, give dodge to everybody, but not as broken as MaA’s DBZ style dodge, but rather Unreal tournament style.

Man at Arms, can have a rolling dodge for their 1 button special that puts them underneath high attacks.

If implemented right it would add another level of play to the game, and look stylish also.

For ducking we know looking down while stationary ducking helps reduce your hit box to avoid high attacks, why not make it an actual legit move with its own stylized animation?? Removing the need to look downwards making it a strategy that newbs can also use, not just us leet players.

• Honestly, I think a roll would look even more silly than the current semi-teleport jump.

• @Salesgun4Hire:

To balance, give dodge to everybody, but not as broken as MaA’s DBZ style dodge, but rather Unreal tournament style.

Man at Arms, can have a rolling dodge for their 1 button special that puts them underneath high attacks.

Doesn’t that take away a Man-at-Arms’ mobility advantage? That would break game balance pretty badly, wouldn’t it? Besides, every class can already get under head-height swings by ducking, and looking down to get as low as possible, if needed.

@Salesgun4Hire:

… why not make it an actual legit move with its own stylized animation?? Removing the need to look downwards making it a strategy that newbs can also use, not just us leet players.

I like that you have to look down to get as small as possible, just as I like that you have to look up and meet a weapon coming from overhead with a block or parry. If you want to get that low to the ground, you can’t do it without putting your head down too. Making it an “automatic move” would cheapen the game mechanics, just as making block or parry non-directional, just hit block at the right time to block. I think either one is a bad move. “Newbs” shouldn’t have anything handed to them on a plate, that just cheapens the experience for everyone. If they want to improve their gameplay, let them analyze it and work on improving it, like a “leet player” would. Otherwise, they will have to be satisfied with being meat for the grinder! ;)

• @Salesgun4Hire:

Oh god, no!

• It’s neat that you can do a roll in Skyrim while wearing plate armour, but lets keep that silliness out of this game please. :)

• @SlyGoat:

Honestly, I think a roll would look even more silly than the current semi-teleport jump.

Doesn’t need to be Rolling, could be that Man at Arms is the only class that can “Attack” and dodge “Forward”, limiting other players to sidewards dodging and backward stepping.

@Eclipse:

@Salesgun4Hire:

Doesn’t that take away a Man-at-Arms’ mobility advantage? That would break game balance pretty badly, wouldn’t it? Besides, every class can already get under head-height swings by ducking, and looking down to get as low as possible, if needed.

The difference would be that Man at Arms are more proficient at it, with the added ability to attack during the dodge. Its like comparing a “shield bash” to a “push kick”, same mechanics different advantages, knights are more proficient, so NO it wouldn’t take away that mobility advantage.

Just to reiterate, as an example, Man at Arms currently dodge at about 3-4 Body lengths narrowly avoiding a swing attack in most situations, the other classes would be restrained to dodge roughl 1 -2 body lengths sideways, avoiding arrows, stabs, and overhead attacks, swing attacks would hit them.

The strategy for using it would be for when you don’t have time to parry an attack, but can see that a stab is coming towards you. It would also be when you are running towards and archer and see them cocking their bow ready to release their arrow at you.

If you can’t see the excitement in having that added mobility to all units including archers, then I don’t think there is much chance in reasoning with you on this.

@Eclipse:

@Salesgun4Hire:

… why not make it an actual legit move with its own stylized animation?? Removing the need to look downwards making it a strategy that newbs can also use, not just us leet players.

I like that you have to look down to get as small as possible, just as I like that you have to look up and meet a weapon coming from overhead with a block or parry. If you want to get that low to the ground, you can’t do it without putting your head down too. Making it an “automatic move” would cheapen the game mechanics, just as making block or parry non-directional, just hit block at the right time to block. I think either one is a bad move. “Newbs” shouldn’t have anything handed to them on a plate, that just cheapens the experience for everyone. If they want to improve their gameplay, let them analyze it and work on improving it, like a “leet player” would. Otherwise, they will have to be satisfied with being meat for the grinder! ;)

Blocking and parrying overheads doesn’t really have anything to do with the way “duck exploit” mechanics work, don’t think it was a good example.

The move would not be automatic, it would require you to be stationary first.

Making the game more user friendly in some aspects for newbs would make for a more exciting game when you get to the same level of play im used to.

• Sorry, I still don’t agree on the dodge thing, for the same reasons. Not to mention someone wearing heavy plate armor wouldn’t be that nimble anyway. It would be a little ridiculous and unrealistic. I do see what you are saying about the ducking thing, though. I just don’t feel like its any different than blocking and looking up to meet the overhead swing, from purely a control standpoint at least. But yeah, now that you mention it, it is more an exploit than a move the way it is now.

• Relook at MAA’s Force Dodge, sure. But don’t fill the battlefield with Jedi. It’d look silly.

• Dodging Vanguards? Ok - wear a MAA armour and take less heavy weapons. Or… are you asking to chamge word’s physics?

• I can’t imagine vanguard making a maa dodge, at most it would be like 1 step to the side. Still it couldn’t be as fast as maa, it would make no sense. So basicly it is down to just side strafing which you can do with what you got now in the game.

• @tamashi:

I can’t imagine vanguard making a maa dodge, at most it would be like 1 step to the side. Still it couldn’t be as fast as maa, it would make no sense. So basicly it is down to just side strafing which you can do with what you got now in the game.

I agree with a lot that’s being said in this thread. Having all the classes be able to use some mobility to dodge arrows is much preferred to the weird movement patterns we’re getting. IRL people would be turning their bodies for a split second, but in this game your head/eyes seem to be locked to your torso.

I support something like a “dodge” for every class. Maybe make the Vanguard/Knight move less for their dodge? Make it cost a lot more stamina? Or when they dodge sideways make them turn their bodies perpendicular to their sight? I don’t know if I support the rolling though : :?

• Hasn’t anybody ever played Unreal Tournament?