Teamkilling is not a problem, do not "Fix" it.

• Ello,

I’ve been seeing a few threads about Team killing, why Team killing should be punished, TK’ing is a problem, TK’ing should be punished more etc.

Team killing is not a problem. This is one of the few GOOD games i can think of that has un-restricted team killing. Your actions have real consequences, you need to be aware of your surroundings. If you run into the occasional idiot blatantly killing people @ his spawn, just votekick him.

Put a little more faith into the player base.

Punishing team killing restricts the freedom of the game, which in turn makes it less fun. No, i’m not saying “Team killing is fun, and i do it all the time!” - I’m saying it adds another layer to the game.

Take War of The Roses and Call of Duty hardcore modes for an example. They both have “Reflective” or “Ricochet” damage. Most annoying thing i have ever experienced in gaming. If i shoot a team mate on accident, i get punished for it.

So. God. Damn. Annoying. Completely immersion breaking too, and it’s un-neccisary. The community regulates itself. Do not add a punishment for team killing.

FIN

• Support you 110%

• +1.

Sacrifices sometimes must be made to kill the rebels.

I think most of the people are complaining about intentional TKers. I don’t see them that often, and if I do, votekick bye bye.

• 200+ hours, rank 44 here. I think there should be some sort of punishment for team killing when done excessively. Votekicking isn’t exactly 100% reliable, it’s very easy to get trolls who vote no on the enemy team because they know it helps them win. I don’t think you should get punished if you do an accidental hit or two, or even kill once or twice. I think it should start doing something when you do it excessively in a short time frame, so the game can automatically tell it’s on purpose and act accordingly.

Reflect damage is a great start, but it definitely should only kick in after your team kill damage reaches a certain threshold in a certain time frame, and increase exponentially. When the game sees your damage ratio increase towards enemies away from team mates, especially in some time frame, it automatically adjusts the punishment accordingly. I think this would be the greatest solution to the problem.

• @SOC:

200+ hours, rank 44 here. I think there should be some sort of punishment for team killing when done excessively. Votekicking isn’t exactly 100% reliable, it’s very easy to get trolls who vote no on the enemy team because they know it helps them win. I don’t think you should get punished if you do an accidental hit or two, or even kill once or twice. I think it should start doing something when you do it excessively in a short time frame, so the game can automatically tell it’s on purpose and act accordingly.

Reflect damage is a great start, but it definitely should only kick in after your team kill damage reaches a certain threshold in a certain time frame, and increase exponentially. When the game sees your damage ratio increase towards enemies away from team mates, especially in some time frame, it automatically adjusts the punishment accordingly. I think this would be the greatest solution to the problem.

I agree these should be configurable options, they should not however be the default.

• If im spamming my maul, and a team member runs up beside me to “help” its somehow my fault if he gets bashed in the skull? I think it works fine the way it is. Give people some room, have some situational awareness. A weapon swung would have done equal damage to friend or foe it hit. keep the game realistic. Its bad enough these crusaders have american accents, lets not break the immersion even more.

• Agreed. It’s an integral part of the game. Default friendly fire damage was already toned down from 100% to 50% to make it less painful to play with inexperienced teammates.

• @SlyGoat:

Agreed. It’s an integral part of the game. Default friendly fire damage was already toned down from 100% to 50% to make it less painful to play with inexperienced teammates.

Good start, but now add a new mechanics - killing a team mate results in a moderate damage to self. Or maybe limit to self damage of a certain value (like 10%).

Not much change in the mechanics could provide the basis for a completely different gameplay.

• I also don’t think anything needs to be changed. People just need to occasionally sit back and wait. Often I’ve seen 2 or 3 team mates engaging 1 enemy only to see more team mates get close to join in. Once you end up with 5 or 6 surrounding him hitting each other is inevitable.

• The solution: make Masons less squishy!

• Once 4 people overwhelmed me when I was using the halberd. I backpedaled and parried until they stabbed each other in the back to death XD

Nearly had the last guy too, but I took a teammate’s arrow to the back of my head…

• @muncywolverine:

I will when idiots stop running around fights spamming LMB and hitting friendlies.

• @muncywolverine:

Ello,

I’ve been seeing a few threads about Team killing, why Team killing should be punished, TK’ing is a problem, TK’ing should be punished more etc.

Team killing is not a problem. This is one of the few GOOD games i can think of that has un-restricted team killing. Your actions have real consequences, you need to be aware of your surroundings. If you run into the occasional idiot blatantly killing people @ his spawn, just votekick him.

Punishing team killing restricts the freedom of the game, which in turn makes it less fun. No, i’m not saying “Team killing is fun, and i do it all the time!” - I’m saying it adds another layer to the game.

Take War of The Roses and Call of Duty hardcore modes for an example. They both have “Reflective” or “Ricochet” damage. Most annoying thing i have ever experienced in gaming. If i shoot a team mate on accident, i get punished for it.

So. God. Damn. Annoying. Completely immersion breaking too, and it’s un-neccisary. The community regulates itself. Do not add a punishment for team killing.

FIN

Oh really, than in that case you’ve never been teamkilled 10 times in a match by your teammates just for being an archer, not for accidentally killing a teammate or hitting one but actually for being an archer. I’ve had this happen to me, I’ve seen it happen to other people, so teamkilling should be punished, on top of that it would force many slash-spammers to not slash-spam as they teamkill a lot with it.

• The only punishment ahould be in score. Tking should be discouraged but not enforced unless abused (and then enforced by players).

• after several teamkills, make the teamkiller killable by his own team without any penalties.

• I absolutely agree. Being able to hurt and kill your teammates adds a whole new layer of complexity to the game, and it’s good the way it is.

In fact, restricting your ability to kill teammates would mean dumbing down the entire experience, while giving harsher punishments for so would discourage players too much from engaging another enemy with an ally on your side.

Sure, griefers are bound to be there, but they’re not extremely common and the game provides the team with tools to solve the issue with a simple votekick.

• @CrimsonV:

I absolutely agree. Being able to hurt and kill your teammates adds a whole new layer of complexity to the game, and it’s good the way it is.

In fact, restricting your ability to kill teammates would mean dumbing down the entire experience, while giving harsher punishments for so would discourage players too much from engaging another enemy with an ally on your side.

Sure, griefers are bound to be there, but they’re not extremely common and the game provides the team with tools to solve the issue with a simple votekick.

It is not difficult to fight in a group without hitting friendlies. I don’t even play melee most of the time and I still have no trouble hitting enemies and avoiding friendlies in up-close melee fights. This problem has been addressed in more detail in other threads already, the problem is that you are awarded for going in swinging like crazy because you’re more likely to get kills and the punishment for teamkilling or hitting friendlies is not enough to discourage this kind of idiocy. I for one would prefer players to have to play well and use a little more skill.

• i agree.

i hate getting teamkilled and it happens 3-4 times per round, but thats not a real problem.

i mean, i respawn and iam not finally dead. its only annoying when playing game mode “last man standing”.

but DM, TDM and team mission is not a problem.

there should be no punish. because it happens to ALL OF US sometimes.

• It is a big issue in LTS.

In LTS mode you have to avoid your frenemies as much as your enemies. Often what is called an “accident” is an intentional accident where people choose to swing into teammates backs to try to kill the person their teammate is fighting.

Votekick them?, It was an “accident” so people won’t vote yes. LTS would function fine if the game had an automatic anti tk system in place, such as…

Accumulating 100% team damage = 1 tk point.
    Team Damage % still accumulates between rounds, so you can’t work around the system by doing 99%.
    1 tk points = You do reflective damage.
    You lose 1 tk point after every round that you do not accumulate another tk point.

There, now people would be encouraged to not tk because they rather not kill themselves and they can still correct their error in short time by not team killing. This also disables people from trying to mass team kill and if there’s any issues then the votekick system is still in place.

Some people would try to run into teammates swings but for good player’s, that would not be an issue since they have more control over their own swings.

On the other hand you don’t have much control over that guy instead slashing into your back while you aren’t looking.

• @Winterspawn:

@muncywolverine:

Ello,

FIN

Oh really, than in that case you’ve never been teamkilled 10 times in a match by your teammates just for being an archer, not for accidentally killing a teammate or hitting one but actually for being an archer. I’ve had this happen to me, I’ve seen it happen to other people, so teamkilling should be punished, on top of that it would force many slash-spammers to not slash-spam as they teamkill a lot with it.

That would fall under the “occasional idiot…votekick them” category.

Votekick them. I’d vote them out.