WeeBoo Invasion (aka add samurai weapons/ armor)

• Hell, make em a new faction. Would open up some crazy 3 team game modes or something. I will even give you some lore with it.
    The Mason sargent barked orders at his archers, impatiently waiting for them to ready the next set of arrows. He heard the sound of boots crunching on the ground, but it wasn’t like any heavy metal, it was a soft, leather sound. He looked behind his league of archers, and saw a large group of strange warriors, wearing what appeared to be leather armor, and having strange helmets and masks, almost resembling demons. He called out to the warriors, telling them to back off, or face the wrath of Malrick. The warriors drew their strange weapons, long 2h swords, and he watched in horror as they charged his group, yelling a strange war cry… “BANZAIIIIIIIIII”. His group was slaughtered, and by the time the Mason infantry had noticed, they were already surrounded. As the Masons were being slaughtered, the Agathans cheered, as this new “ally” had come to their rescue. It wasn’t until they saw the black shafted arrows hurling towards them before they realized these strange warriors were not here to help. A single Agathan archer escaped with his life, but none of his sanity. Babling about demons charging at him, with large swords that cut through the toughest of iron, and yelling their terrible war cry… “BANZAIIIIIIIIIII”

The Samurai had invaded.

So all my basic ideas are the
    Katana
    2h weapon.
    Available for Vanguard and Knight.
    Devastating overhead, above average horizontal slice, and below average stab.
    Very slightly faster than the claymore.

NoDachi
    2h weapon.
    Available for Vanguard only
    Devastating charge and overhead, above average horizontal slice, and below average stab.
    A little slower than the t1 2h for vanguard (forgot its name)

Daikyu
    Bow (who knew)
    Extremely high damage, but VERY slow to draw new arrow.
    One shot MaA in the chest, One shot MaA in the chest, Two shot Knight in the chest

New armor/ helmets
    war masks, helmets, Japanese style armor

So that’s about it, maybe will try and find a 1h Japanese sword when I have the time to.

• No thank you. Medieval English is the best culture, I don’t any Asian oriental crap ruining this amazing game. Go play Dynasty Warriors or some crap like that.

All jokes aside, I just don’t think it would fit in very well with this game. I think the community could make some amazing mods and maps for this sort of thing, though.

• I would make some slight changes in order to keep realism:

@Tzero316:

Katana
    2h weapon.
    Available for Vanguard and Knight.
    Devastating overhead, strong horizontal slice, and strong stab.
    Much faster than the claymore.

This way it is much closer to real katanas.

• *banzai

• Wingy: you forgot to add that normal weapons cannot parry the katana, because the katana will just cut right through them. And of course the katana will also cleave a knight in half with one overhead.

• As true as this is, you know how much people would whine about historical accuracy.

• @SlyGoat:

Wingy: you forgot to add that normal weapons cannot parry the katana, because the katana will just cut right through them. And of course the katana will also cleave a knight in half with one overhead.

Considering that katanas can cut through steel, Id say they would severely damage any weapon that try to parry them. Smaller weapons could even be destroyed by a mighty katana swing.

Their extremely low weight should also result in reduced stamina consumption.

• @SOC:

No thank you. Medieval English is the best culture, I don’t any Asian oriental crap ruining this amazing game. Go play Dynasty Warriors or some crap like that.

All jokes aside, I just don’t think it would fit in very well with this game. I think the community could make some amazing mods and maps for this sort of thing, though.

@SlyGoat:

Wingy: you forgot to add that normal weapons cannot parry the katana, because the katana will just cut right through them. And of course the katana will also cleave a knight in half with one overhead.

wow guys, sarcastic much?

SlyGoat you especially have gotten on peoples cases for messages that are not contributing. Calling you on it.

Soc

I think its great, I love asian weapons, I would even like a MaA with an Oni mask or something. Just because you are ‘bitter’ about asian stuff doesnt mean we all are. I for one would like to see asian culture clashing with european culture. Its not ‘unrealistic’ or ‘unfitting’ if its all from the same period.

• @MLuminos:

SlyGoat you especially have gotten on peoples cases for messages that are not contributing. Calling you on it.

I’m sorry, I just don’t see this thread going anywhere. This has been discussed to death, and it really doesn’t mesh with the idea behind Chivalry - capturing the feeling of being on a Hollywood-style medieval battlefield.

Not to mention weapons in Chivalry are in fact attempted to be presented somewhat realistically, hence why hacking away at a Knight with a sword takes quite a bit of effort to get the kill compared to stabbing him. If we’re being serious about this, a Katana would probably be completely dulled by tempered steel plate armor before it made any real dents. They weren’t designed to fight against the pinnacle of European medieval armor, and while they do have extremely hard and sharp blades which made them excellent against the armor they were designed to fight against, they lacked the hardened narrow points of European swords which were specifically designed for armored fighting. I would even go as far as to say the Messer and Falchion were more suitable for hacking through plate armor due to their shape and weight applying more force to the point of impact, much like an axe, instead of distributing it evenly like the blade of a sword. And they wouldn’t be especially quick, either - Japanese swords weigh about the same as European swords of similar size, though they did have a different center of balance due to their shape which could allow for smoother maneuvering of a swing.

Furthermore, katanas were not historically of much significance in feudal Japan; their popularity is strictly modern. Samurai were trained to use them, yes, but not as exhaustively as you might think. They primarily fought with bows and spears, in proper formations, with a katana as a backup - and even then, against other samurai, they would often end up grappling and dispatching their opponent with a sharply pointed dagger. It’s really much the same for European knights, their primary tactic was an initial charge with a lance, spear, greatsword, whathaveyou from horseback, and then dismounting to fight with a sword only when they had to (I.E. your lance breaks from hitting too many filthy peasant skulls, or your horse dies).

So to summarize: I like Japanese stuff, even anime and Dragon Quest; I’ve read up on feudal Japanese weaponry a lot; but I don’t think katanas or any other Asian weaponry really belong in Chivalry. So that’s a no vote from me. I hope that fits your definition of contributing.

• As I like to say, make the mod yourself, throw it out into the wild, and see if it sticks.

• Oh, yeah, Japanese Super Samurai again… Im looking forward to accurate fighting animations…lol.
    The most important part, always forgotten by the kids who _wantz super samuraiz!!11
    _
    Oh and ffs, it is Samurai, not SamuraiS… or NinjaS…
    Just in cases someones wants to writes thats…

• I like the Idea

This could work, but it would have to be a tottaly/new game.
    WHY? simple…

Chivalry is the code of Medieval Warriors
    Bushido is the code of Samurai Warriors

u know what i mean?

• The Daikyu, and all japanese bows were utter rubbish. They didnt have the proper trees or horn to make good ones.

Also no. Keep the Weeaboo katanaphile stuff out of here.

• @Wingy:

@SlyGoat:

Considering that katanas can cut through steel, Id say they would severely damage any weapon that try to parry them. Smaller weapons could even be destroyed by a mighty katana swing.

Their extremely low weight should also result in reduced stamina consumption.

I REALLY hope this is sarcasm.

• Why? The katana is the best weapon ever forged. Look up the facts.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats than the proposed by OP. Screw your masterwork bastard swords.

• @Wingy:

Why? The katana is the best weapon ever forged. Look up the facts.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That’s right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats than the proposed by OP. Screw your masterwork bastard swords.

8/10

Good troll.

• @SlyGoat:

@MLuminos:

I’m sorry, I just don’t see this thread going anywhere. This has been discussed to death, and it really doesn’t mesh with the idea behind Chivalry - capturing the feeling of being on a Hollywood-style medieval battlefield.

Not to mention weapons in Chivalry are in fact attempted to be presented somewhat realistically, hence why hacking away at a Knight with a sword takes quite a bit of effort to get the kill compared to stabbing him. If we’re being serious about this, a Katana would probably be completely dulled by tempered steel plate armor before it made any real dents. They weren’t designed to fight against the pinnacle of European medieval armor, and while they do have extremely hard and sharp blades which made them excellent against the armor they were designed to fight against, they lacked the hardened narrow points of European swords which were specifically designed for armored fighting. I would even go as far as to say the Messer and Falchion were more suitable for hacking through plate armor due to their shape and weight applying more force to the point of impact, much like an axe, instead of distributing it evenly like the blade of a sword. And they wouldn’t be especially quick, either - Japanese swords weigh about the same as European swords of similar size, though they did have a different center of balance due to their shape which could allow for smoother maneuvering of a swing.

Furthermore, katanas were not historically of much significance in feudal Japan; their popularity is strictly modern. Samurai were trained to use them, yes, but not as exhaustively as you might think. They primarily fought with bows and spears, in proper formations, with a katana as a backup - and even then, against other samurai, they would often end up grappling and dispatching their opponent with a sharply pointed dagger. It’s really much the same for European knights, their primary tactic was an initial charge with a lance, spear, greatsword, whathaveyou from horseback, and then dismounting to fight with a sword only when they had to (I.E. your lance breaks from hitting too many filthy peasant skulls, or your horse dies).

So to summarize: I like Japanese stuff, even anime and Dragon Quest; I’ve read up on feudal Japanese weaponry a lot; but I don’t think katanas or any other Asian weaponry really belong in Chivalry. So that’s a no vote from me. I hope that fits your definition of contributing.

It just got real up in here. Awesome post, loved the read. So true on every level.

• i agree too wingy and slygoat ( cannot believe i agree to wingy….) i mean awesome post sly and what wingy is more or less trying to say yea. nothing to add here.

just wingy, mate be serious for once and stop kinda nettle ppl for what they say / like / think.
    its a discussion about suggestions and ideas, nothing else.

• ye im afraid its not a great idea to be implemented into the game, but sounds like an awesome idea for a mod.

• @Thorendir:

i agree too wingy and slygoat ( cannot believe i agree to wingy….) i mean awesome post sly and what wingy is more or less trying to say yea. nothing to add here.

just wingy, mate be serious for once and stop kinda nettle ppl for what they say / like / think.
    its a discussion about suggestions and ideas, nothing else.

Nothing I ever post is to be taken seriously. Except this post. You can take this post seriously.