"Combo feint"

• So there has been awfully a lot heat about the “Combo feint”, basically the stabbing combo that was perfomed by Shara on his youtube video. It is a powerful move indeed when performed in the perfect timing. Being able to perform a stab combo was not intentionally meant to be possible to perfom, as you may notice that if you attempt to stab twice, your second stab will be at regular speed. Other attacks such as slashes and overheads CAN perform combo moves. This particulary trick is performed by stabbing, then prepare for a overhead combo, as soon as you see your blade lift, feint then stab again. it costs stamina to use this technique. I’ve heard some rumours that the developrs might attempt to fix this, although I fear they are not being able to fix this “Combo feint” without entirely screwing up the feinting mechanism, and I think its pretty alright the way it is now. IF by any chance this should be fixed, then I highly suggest Torn Banner studios fixing that you can accelerate or delay overhead attacks by either looking down or up.

This move requires some hard timing practice and mind work in order to perfectly use, even with macro it requires timing.

I personally don’t think this is a big issue, cause you ARE able to block the 2nd strike regardless of which weapon is being used. ( There’s a theory with daggers that they can bypass, but that’s not confirmed yet )

So chiv, please don’t screw up the feinting mechanism.

• I just want to attack from the left (opponents right) without having to swing and miss first.

But yes, evidently there is some abuse with this system now. The e-peens are circle jerking around the forum on how good they are and how it should stay or not.

• Me and Planetus just tested out this “Combo feint” and out of 9/10 times, he was being able to perfectly parry my second stab attack, though he was standing still and taking the first blow. IF this would have been a real match, he would put much more fight into it, making it really hard to perfom.
    Even with daggers it was possible to block the second stab. So I think people should try to learn how to parry instead of smashing their LMB when there’s an occasion where a fast stabbing weapon is combing you with their insane speed, that’s my true opinion about this. In a competive match, this would be a very stupid trick to use because of the fact that it drains your stamina… even more if you miss the attack aswell. You might be able to put down one fighter with this, but then the rest will catch you off-guard with low stamina and you will get taken down.

The only problem I see with this exploit is that its insanely hard to parry because of the speed, but there are other weapons that are quite fast too! still being possible to parry if you read your opponent correctly.

Too much whining going on around the forums, I don’t support this exploit, I’m just afraid the developers will just mess up the feinting mechanism in attempt to fix this.

Back in AoC, we had a lot of bugs and glitches that were used :
    One of the most common was tap-blocking that made you being able to block your opponents weapon then counter with fast enough speed to hit him before he manages to block.

We also experienced people using the quickswap as a finisher, or generally to catch you off-guard.
    Yet all these were bug exploits, but we simply found tons of ways to counter them, and the gameplay just went fine.

For example if you meet a guy who ALWAYS looks down when he overheads his attack in addition to gain more speed into his strike, there’s not always just advantage, cause he loses range, accuracy and sight of his opponent when he perfoms that. The range plays the major part, so by keeping your distance and strike him after the attack is the way to counter those for example, Simple as that!

• From what I’ve just tested, the stab combo feint is perfectly blockable when in action.

In a duel it COULD be used as part of a tactic to gain an edge over your opponent, though it is a very risky move if they are a competant player (it strikes me automatically as a risk-reward technique that can easily go wrong if you mess up the timing), it can also be negated completely if the enemy parries your first attack just like any other feint combo.

In my opinion it is only a semi-viable technique unless you can pull it off all the time everytime, especially in a situation where your opponent is A.) Attacking you & B.) Parrying your ‘beginning attacks’.
    Also the reward for pulling off the technique may be high, but it is at the cost of also draining a LOT of your stamina which (depending on class ofc) could turn the tide of the duel against you, when I think of it’s uses I think maybe a last ditch attempt at defeating your enemy? all-in etc.

EDIT: Good news that it’s being fixed.

• Stab combo is hard to block with norse sword. And it’s not an intended mechanism.

Don’t fix stab combo? You kidding? It’s confirmed that the stab combo or any other swing that gets swingspeed boost due to the feint will be fixed in the first patch.

If you guys don’t know you do, stab - initiate combo- feint out of it - stab again

All in less than a second. If you don’t want to get it fixed, then let everyone know at least.

• Every player in chivalry will learn all the useful combat moves within time, depends on how hard they are training, so its not like we all need to go around and tell how its all perfomed, although I don’t think they are able to fix it without completely overhauling the feinting mechanism that will make it suck badly.

• @wildwulfy:

Every player in chivalry will learn all the useful combat moves within time, depends on how hard they are training, so its not like we all need to go around and tell how its all perfomed, although I don’t think they are able to fix it without completely overhauling the feinting mechanism that will make it suck badly.

I had a chat with devs about this and they are fixing it in the first patch. Don’t be sad.

• @boomandvibe:

@wildwulfy:

Every player in chivalry will learn all the useful combat moves within time, depends on how hard they are training, so its not like we all need to go around and tell how its all perfomed, although I don’t think they are able to fix it without completely overhauling the feinting mechanism that will make it suck badly.

I had a chat with devs about this and they are fixing it in the first patch. Don’t be sad.

As I mentioned previous in the post, I don’t support this double-stab methode, I’m just afraid they will screw up the feinting mechanism. So, I’ll most likely not be sad, just lame how they especially concentrate on this and not the other swing manipulations, but honestly if they did. I’d quit cause the game would just suck without having no ways to actually play with a different style.

• The funny thing is, I haven’t even managed to reproduce it myself yet, everything I try gives me normal windups, lol. I just hear it’s a bug and it’ll get fixed. If something is causing a faster than normal windup time that’s not intentional, you don’t just leave it in the game and claim it’s ok. It’s likely just a minor issue with timings is all, probably a simple fix, no need to be worried.

• @Martin:

If something is causing a faster than normal windup time that’s not intentional, you don’t just leave it in the game and claim it’s ok.

Aslong as the developers don’t screw up the feinting mechanism in the attempt, I’m okay with it.
    Same about the accelerations of overhead swings with certain weapons, they are not suppose to be there either, but we still ignore it because there are simple ways to counter it. Most inexperienced public players falls to this cause they don’t know when to block or when to button smash the LMB.
    All that it takes is a little bit practice, we perfectly got over the tap-blocks and quickswaps back in Age of Chivalry.

• The whole feinting mechanic needs a radical overhaul anyway ;)

• Perhaps the fenting mechanism needs a bit of small changes, but I’m not on the same wave lenght as you about completely overhauling them. They are fine as they are at this state. Feints do what they are suppose to, catch the opponent off-guard.

Would it really be feints if they were easily countered? I think feints can be countered if you read your opponent which is necessary at anytime!

• @wildwulfy:

@boomandvibe:

@wildwulfy:

As I mentioned previous in the post, I don’t support this double-stab methode, I’m just afraid they will screw up the feinting mechanism. So, I’ll most likely not be sad, just lame how they especially concentrate on this and not the other swing manipulations, but honestly if they did. I’d quit cause the game would just suck without having no ways to actually play with a different style.

Then quit. No one will hold you back.

• Without the feinting system, you would have no absolute way of breaking through the defence of an experienced player. So you would follow the same road mate eventually =)

Leave things as it is and focus about things that are more important.

• The problem isn’t that it lets you combo stabs, or anything like that. The problem is it’s actually far, far faster than a normal combo. Combo windups have longer windups than normal attacks - this is an intended feature to help balance out attack speeds across the board. The reason they have a longer windup than a normal attack is because to attack twice in a row with normal windup, normally you have to go into a recovery period, which is often longer than the windup itself.

So why is this a problem if you can parry the second attack? Because it isn’t just useful for attacking twice quickly. It can completely negate the disadvantage of missing an attack or being baited into swinging early - you just start a combo, feint, and then you’re free to parry the other guy’s attempted counterattack.

Sure, it may take some skill and timing to get it down, but it’s an unintended mechanic. AoC was, frankly, really really bad at the end of its lifespan because the game revolved entirely around unintended strategies. Not only was it so bad that any player new to the game would have no idea what was going on or why they kept getting beat, even a good player who actually wanted to play the game as it was intended to be played couldn’t compete with an average player abusing the shoddy game mechanics. You don’t get awesome scores in AoC because you’re really good - you get them because you’re slaughtering players playing an entirely different game than you. I don’t want to see Chivalry turn into this, ever. Nothing in the game that isn’t intuitive and explained to you should give you any kind of advantage.

By the way, something similar applies to directing your attack to bounce off the floor if you miss an attack. Because this counts as being parried, you can parry immediately if you do it, meaning you don’t have to go through your entire release period and completely skip recovery.

I won’t accept any arguments about “features” like this staying in the game. I will never agree with that line of thought at all. If you’d like to suggest a better alternative, such as the ability to combo two consecutive stabs together, that’s fine and I would support that - it’d be a nice boost to the Fork especially. But as far as I’m concerned feinting out of a combo or bouncing your attack off the floor to save yourself from a mistake or exploit your attack speed is just absurd. Comparing it to the ability to manipulate your swings is silly, because that’s a completely intended mechanic that gives no real numerical advantage over a player not dragging their swings.

Finally, you want a solid example of why this absolutely can’t stay in the game? If you’re using the hatchet, making a full 3 hit combo of overheads and then going into recovery takes 3.35 seconds. Making 3 overheads in a row while feinting out of combos, if perfectly executed, takes only 2.25 seconds. You can’t tell me with a straight face that isn’t a huge advantage - especially considering you have to commit to the combo whereas feinting out of it lets you pick your attacks more carefully, or parry if you have to.

• The problem isn’t that it lets you combo stabs, or anything like that. The problem is it’s actually far, far faster than a normal combo. Combo windups have longer windups than normal attacks - this is an intended feature to help balance out attack speeds across the board. The reason they have a longer windup than a normal attack is because to attack twice in a row with normal windup, normally you have to go into a recovery period, which is often longer than the windup itself.

Oh shit of course, and here’s me looking for a bug and expecting a windup that appeared faster. The whole chopping milliseconds off of a combo attack didn’t occur to me. self facepalm.

Ok, the whole feinting mechanic does need an overhaul then.

• I’ve noticed the big speed difference, and that basically by canceling the second combo would make your third one quite rapid, And as I’ve mentioned earlier… I don’t mind this being fixed aslong as they don’t mess up the feinting mechanism in the game.

Thus if they manage to reduce the speed on feinted swings, then I suppose that might do the thing without messing up the feinting.

@Martin:

The problem isn’t that it lets you combo stabs, or anything like that. The problem is it’s actually far, far faster than a normal combo. Combo windups have longer windups than normal attacks - this is an intended feature to help balance out attack speeds across the board. The reason they have a longer windup than a normal attack is because to attack twice in a row with normal windup, normally you have to go into a recovery period, which is often longer than the windup itself.

Oh shit of course, and here’s me looking for a bug and expecting a windup that appeared faster. The whole chopping milliseconds off of a combo attack didn’t occur to me. self facepalm.

Ok, the whole feinting mechanic does need an overhaul then.

Reducing the speed on the attacks would do the trick, no need for overhauling…

• Then we’d need to make it so you can’t feint out of a feinted attack, which is a thumbs up from me!

• What do you mean by feinting out from a feinted attack?

• I’m all for changes to feint mechanism. The stab feints are just ridiculous.