Please tell me there will be mounted combat.

• There are plenty of threads, but all are very vague, or almost a year old, and no definite answer. I understand the complications of this; but after playing M&B, it’s hard to play a Medieval game without mounted combat. They just did Mounted & Unmounted so right…it blended perfectly.

Most of my friends got reaaaaaaaallly excited when I showed them videos of this, they saw the epic melee combat, which they believe to be basically M&B’s + Super Epicness Edition, and then they read it was basically going to be melee only / arena / castle style.

I’d really love some huge, open fields with horses and whatnot. Like just a big field, mounted infantry selectable on it, and arty on each side, be a really straight map, too. You know, simple, a big, grass feel, spawn at each side, fortified. It feels more epic that way.

I know this is UE3, so I know it can support huge maps. I also know it supports mounted styled combat, based off some games & mods for it, so it’s definitely possible.

Maybe if it’s not in for release, there could be like an update…

“Chivalry: Medieval Warfare - Mounted Update / DLC(Free of course)”

Which could be released later on. It’s really sets the mood, I put hundreds of hours into M&B + Mods, based off how epic the battles could be. Your melee just seems a step above it, fixing the shortcomings it has, so if you had mounted combat that was as good, or better than it, you could grab another huge chunk of players.

My friends are hesitant so far, based off what they’ve seen, due to the seemingly small nature of the game. I hope you allow 64 players, as I have seen some AoC servers with this, and fully loaded up, it is performance heavy, but it adds such epicness. Though I realize what you’ve shown so far really is just demonstrations, so you probably have alot more in the works.

• Sorry to disappoint you, but there will not be mounted combat in this game.

The simple answer is that they are focusing on the dismounted gameplay, since the devs feel like medieval melee foot combat has never been done right in any game released thus far, even AoC. The fight system will be different, though similar, to AoC, and very different from Mount & Blade.

The complex answer is that since they have a newly reworked fighting system, and since that is their main focus, and since most medieval battles were fought mainly with infantry, that mounted gameplay would actually detract from their game. If you play a game, designed with one thing in mind, and then play it differently, or use a different system that was not worked on with as much passion, you can feel it. This was my problem with Mount and Blade. The mounted combat was amazing, but it didn’t translate as well as it should have for foot combat. This game would be the opposite. Amazing foot combat, and wonky mounted combat.

That said, they have stated that mounted combat may be a future possibility in a sequel. Probably not DLC, but if this first game does well, then they might consider working on their combat mechanics for horseback. It’s a completely different beast. It’s not that it can’t be done, it’s that they’re not sure they can do it well.

Either way, the answer is Chivalry: Medieval Warfare will not feature mounted combat, though the smallest sliver of possibility does exist post-release DLC, or a larger sliver for a possible sequel.

• UDK does support up to 64 players for a server so yes we do hope to offer that to our fans as well you can be sure of that. Hopefully you’ll be able to see more of that as we advance through our testing stages.

• Well I see not including mounted combat as a step back, regardless of what the game is designed around, it should always be open to more changes. There are tons and tons of medieval combat games like Chivalry, sure, it’s combat system will be unique, but past that, it’s just another medieval game.

However, the list of medieval games with mounted combat is very small. You say no one has ever done it right? Well then, maybe Chivalry can be the first do it right. A DLC for sure, they should work on it after everything else is done as a potential thing, release it to a limited set of players and gauge their reactions to it.

Like I said, you could have maps designed around it, it would be selectable only on certain maps, so it wouldn’t end up being silly, and you could possibly make it a server side option.

• Tons of games? Like mount & blade, age of chivalry(not a game even,mod) and… thats all. Trust me, some people in warband started to play in early beta and still play only because of melee system. If chivalry will have better system, well, people will play it for a looong time. Chivalry should focus on melee combat gameplay and make it deeper and deeper.

• I have absolutely no interest in mounted combat for Chivalry. Didn’t care for it in M&B either.

• Developer

It’s not so simple as “adding it on”. We believe the game will be better without mounted combat. This time around anyway, and the reason for that is because we have designed everything about the game, the combat, the maps, the art, the pacing, the distances all for foot combat. Adding in other maps with mounted combat takes the game away from its original purpose and weakens the foundation. I would much rather create this game with the best foot combat that we can make, and then in a sequel create the best foot and mounted combat we can make. I realize the potential fun factor of riding horses into combat and no one debates that could be a great experience. But that is not this game.

• Hence why I suggested some kind of DLC, or expansion. Going for another entire game is abit much, you can add it on later, yes, I know that makes it sound simple, I know it’s a ton of work, but if you added it on after, I’m sure you’d get alot more sales and interested people.

Mounted Warfare DLC or expansion, you know, not a sequel.

• The proble comes when, if they do release it as a DLC or expansion, it ends up unbalancing gameplay in an unforseen manner.

When you build a game around a certain way to play, and gear the entire experiance based on that, and then add in another way to play later, it may be fun for a while, but it’ll get tiring when that one mounted knight is able to solo 10 foot soldiers. It will break the game if they try to add it into this game. They would have to spend an equal amount of time working on mounted combat as they have with melee combat, and that amound ot work simply is not worth it for an expansion of DLC.

They would have to create a new game based with mounted combat, because if they didn’t, the one game they did make would become an unbalanced mess like AoC is now (With everyone either Knight or Archer), and they would never be given the opportunity to create another. Personally, I would rather see a sequel five years down the line than see a slapped-on mounted combat destroy the game I have been waiting for, or be forced to wat another three years while they rebalanced the whole damn game just to add in a playstyle I personally would not use.

Age of Chivalry was liked and played because it was one of the best sword and shield fighting games on the market. I still hold it in that high regard. I would hate to see this game suffer so it could compete with the best horse combat game on the market. It already is. Add in horses, and people will be comparing it even more to Mount and Blade, and it will suffer. Leave the horses out, and it will be the greatest medieval combat game of our time.

• @Ajax:

The proble comes when, if they do release it as a DLC or expansion, it ends up unbalancing gameplay in an unforseen manner.

When you build a game around a certain way to play, and gear the entire experiance based on that, and then add in another way to play later, it may be fun for a while, but it’ll get tiring when that one mounted knight is able to solo 10 foot soldiers. It will break the game if they try to add it into this game. They would have to spend an equal amount of time working on mounted combat as they have with melee combat, and that amound ot work simply is not worth it for an expansion of DLC.

They would have to create a new game based with mounted combat, because if they didn’t, the one game they did make would become an unbalanced mess like AoC is now (With everyone either Knight or Archer), and they would never be given the opportunity to create another. Personally, I would rather see a sequel five years down the line than see a slapped-on mounted combat destroy the game I have been waiting for, or be forced to wat another three years while they rebalanced the whole damn game just to add in a playstyle I personally would not use.

Age of Chivalry was liked and played because it was one of the best sword and shield fighting games on the market. I still hold it in that high regard. I would hate to see this game suffer so it could compete with the best horse combat game on the market. It already is. Add in horses, and people will be comparing it even more to Mount and Blade, and it will suffer. Leave the horses out, and it will be the greatest medieval combat game of our time.

Amen.