Throwing things in duels…

• Is it just me, or is throwing things in duels (on specific duel servers) incredibly lame? Like a firepot or throwing axe….

Throw axe at the start before opponent really moves, finish with a single stab (sometimes feint-stab), yay, fun…

Edit: also kicking (unrelated to duels), is it meant to port the other player around? Coz when i get kicked, they teleport closer/further away randomly :/

• At the start it’s a bit bluureghh-ish though when your opponent is just backpedalling to pause for time mid-fight go for it. Keep dat pressure on!

Again, these are all player-imposed rules so it’s all in the air at the moment (at least until we get the Duel mode).

• @Carsha:

At the start it’s a bit bluureghh-ish though when your opponent is just backpedalling to pause for time mid-fight go for it. Keep dat pressure on!

Again, these are all player-imposed rules so it’s all in the air at the moment (at least until we get the Duel mode).

At any time, i believe that throwing stuff at your opponent in a duel, which is meant to be an honourable fight, is just plain wrong and totally skill-less. its like going archer in a duel, and stabbing them once then running away and crossbowing them once to win. Just plain stupid.

• What is dishonorable is to not honor ones means of battle.

Stop complaining and beat that archer, if you don’t have a shield then you may have to out maneuver or use obstacles to your advantage.

It’s not skill less if they beat you with a thrown weapon, in my opinion its much more skill to throw a projectile to damage an opponent.

• Why are you creating so much distance between yourself and your enemy in a duel? So much so in fact that they have time to switch weapons, throw an axe/dagger at you and then switch back all without you punishing them for it?

Also, hellll yes. Archer in duels can be extremely fun, sort of defeats the purpose though sometimes… :?

• @Dragonzord:

Is it just me

Not just you.

• @Carsha:

Why are you creating so much distance between yourself and your enemy in a duel? So much so in fact that they have time to switch weapons, throw an axe/dagger at you and then switch back all without you punishing them for it?

Also, hellll yes. Archer in duels can be extremely fun, sort of defeats the purpose though sometimes… :?

Because sometimes people start with throwing weapons out, and theres nothing you can do it before a duel? or they kick you/hit you, then run away as you’re recovering, pull a throwing weapon out and kill you with it?

• Starting off with a throwing weapon is kinda lame but I have no problem with them mid duel, if i feel like I’m having to chase the person around to keep the fight going then yes I’m going to pull out my axes and throw them at you. If you let someone pull them out and don’t manage to kill them before they actually throw one at you then you are doing something wrong (excepting the obvious case where they start throwing them at you as soon as you agree to duel).

• "Is it just me, or is throwing things in duels (on specific duel servers) incredibly lame? Like a firepot or throwing axe….

Throw axe at the start before opponent really moves, finish with a single stab (sometimes feint-stab), yay, fun…

Edit: also kicking (unrelated to duels), is it meant to port the other player around? Coz when i get kicked, they teleport closer/further away randomly :/"

I LOLed when I read this.
    Why would you not be moving when you know your going to fight an opponent?
    If you get hit by a throwing weapon because you are just standing there that is your fault.
    If you actuall move and try to juke your opponent, it is very hard to hit them with a throwing weapon. If they do actually hit, then kudos to them. They are either skilled or got lucky.
    No offense, but to me this just sounds like someone who is not that good at this game comlaining when they get owned by other people.

• Every duel server I have been on has people start duels using C to acknowledge each other. So yes it can be kinda hard to dodge an axe/knife/javelin when you are just exiting the animation, no need to come in here with poor quoting and start insulting people.

• @BGrey:

Every duel server I have been on has people start duels using C to acknowledge each other. So yes it can be kinda hard to dodge an axe/knife/javelin when you are just exiting the animation, no need to come in here with poor quoting and start insulting people.

This exactly. You cannot stop the animation and are left standing still for a second after it finishes before you can do anything, so you just get an axe in your face…

• Sounds like these players are just ignoring normal duel etiquette.

• Imo it’s only honorable after distance has been created following the first melee clash. Thrown weapons help keep the fight quick instead of turning into a game of tag.

• @Salad:

Imo it’s only honorable after distance has been created following the first melee clash. Thrown weapons help keep the fight quick instead of turning into a game of tag.

I think they’re only acceptable if your opponent is running away from you, like an archer… But beyond that, nope…

• @Dragonzord:

I think they’re only acceptable if your opponent is running away from you, like an archer… But beyond that, nope…

That sums up my opinion on it. I’m kind of anti ranged in general. Combat should be one persons skill VS another persons skill. In ranged, only the rangers skill counts. Sure you can weave in and out and try to dodge the projectile, but if the rangers aim is true, it will hit you. There is not enough time to react. You can guess where they are going to throw and try to dodge away from there, but the projectile moves much faster than you do and sometimes its not possible for you to move yourself out of its direction before it gets to you.

I think its cowardly to take out a ranged weapon any time in a duel. I consider it an admission of defeat.

• Throwing weapons are fair game the moment your opponent turns their back to you.

• It’s dishonourable and against etiquette especially if its done before the fight starts just to get an advantage.
    Every now and then it can be quite funny though.

• I fail to see how taking out a throwing weapon removes skill from the equation. I still dont understand, nor has anyone tried to explain, how a throwing weapon can be taken out mid fight unless someone is doing something wrong. The most important aspect of dueling is taking advantage of your opponents mistakes and this is no different.

• @Dragonzord:

@Carsha:

At the start it’s a bit bluureghh-ish though when your opponent is just backpedalling to pause for time mid-fight go for it. Keep dat pressure on!

At any time, i believe that throwing stuff at your opponent in a duel, which is meant to be an honourable fight, is just plain wrong and totally skill-less. its like going archer in a duel, and stabbing them once then running away and crossbowing them once to win. Just plain stupid.

This!
    The first time some Vanguard pulled his axes I was like “Is he kiddi… Smack!” - I then took his head off with my Zweihänder… Lucky and satisfying outcome, but throwing in duels sucks, it is a clear sign of weakness to me.

• Meh, stand by what I said. It’s crap at the start when you’re obviously both taunting/crying at each other but I have never had an issue killing someone who attempted to do this mid duel, because I did this thing where I saw him swap weapons, and I ran at him… Ingenious I know.

@Dragonzord:

@Carsha:

Why are you creating so much distance between yourself and your enemy in a duel? So much so in fact that they have time to switch weapons, throw an axe/dagger at you and then switch back all without you punishing them for it?

Because sometimes people start with throwing weapons out, and theres nothing you can do it before a duel? or they kick you/hit you, then run away as you’re recovering, pull a throwing weapon out and kill you with it?

Oh really? I haven’t experienced being stuck in recovery for 4 seconds.