Weapon + Shield Denting

• Would it be possible to make shields have little dents appear from the outside and inside when struck with an arrow or bolt? Shields could also have a random chance that an arrow penetrates the shield, just like the guy on the menu background in AoC (not causing any damage). I think it would look pretty cool to see a knight who’s been an battle for a while, with a bunch of arrows stuck in his shield! It would also induce fear in ranged units when a knight is walking up to them, shield drawn, with the ranged players own arrows stuck in it!

Now that I think about it, why doesn’t every weapon dent shields? Weapons could even get dented themselves, the more you use them! (not blunt impact weapons however!) Tell me what you think in the comments!

• It would look nice to see a few dents if hit (similar to hitting a wall, just a texture add-on) but making the person more vulnerable the more hits he or she take wouldn’t add much to the game. This would make future battles unequal (assuming same skill) even if the health is the same (and would make health generation less useful. Why not just die and respawn instead of fighting with weak armor?). Yes, the vulnerability change would be more realistic, but this game is not about total realism, and it would cause some balancing issues.

• I didn’t mean more venerability to melee hits, but more venerability from ranged weapons. This is just an idea, though. I guess it doesn’t make any sense balance wise…

I still want to see arrows that stick into shields like in the main menu background of AoC! 8-)

*I’ve edited my post to remove the unbalancing parts! :)

• This would be really cool, but i wouldn’t want to see it go to an extent to which M&B takes it to, I’ve seen knights walking around with a shield on his back and holding one just full of projectiles, making him look like a porcupine.

• @Vox:

This would be really cool, but i wouldn’t want to see it go to an extent to which M&B takes it to, I’ve seen knights walking around with a shield on his back and holding one just full of projectiles, making him look like a porcupine.
    Obviously the two shield thing is out of the picture, but I think the “porcupine” look is just badass.

• I don’t know why, but projectiles sticking into things is just a crazy fetish of mine. It is literally one of the reasons I bought Mount & Blade back in version .750. Call me crazy.
    I’d love to see some roughed up equipment, but if we don’t get it at least we’ll have dynamic blood!

• @Faranox:

I don’t know why, but projectiles sticking into things is just a crazy fetish of mine. It is literally one of the reasons I bought Mount & Blade back in version .750. Call me crazy.
    I’d love to see some roughed up equipment, but if we don’t get it at least we’ll have dynamic blood!

It’s been confirmed!!!
    @Tibberius:

Yes the game will feature dynamic blood on both characters and weapons so when you see a enemy’s blade drenched in blood you know hes on a kill streak and is a force to be taken seriously.

• These ideas actually seem really cool.

• This is a very good idea. it will add depth to the game.