How does one become less terrible…

• This game is incredibly difficult tbh.

Actually, it isnt. I can 1v1 anyone and hold my own easily. In duel servers, i have a 1:1 kdr, if not more…

Normal servers are a totally different story. I find i have 3-4x more deaths than kills because i find myself too busy stabbing and overhead attacking because im near friendlies (95% of the time, those friendlies dont do the same, and just swing with reckless abandon), and so often im not the one to get the kill, and get hurt by friendlies. Or I die so much because i’m one of the very few on the server that ISNT an archer and is actually trying to do the objective instead of chasing a single dude that has 3 team mates already attacking him…
    When you do find a good 1v1 with someone in a normal server, the kill will be stolen by a man at arms running up and backstabbing, or you’ll get stabbed in the back…

I dont know what kind of game this is meant to be. There is no team play in the slightest with randoms (as in people you dont have voice comms with), and a single person cant achieve anything. So the hell am i meant to do? Throw caution to the wind and risk hitting friendlies around me? Ignore objectives?

• try to flank the other team. kite them and watch them spamslash each other.

• @dotamachine:

try to flank the other team. kite them and watch them spamslash each other.

I do that already… Always try to keep my opponent between myself and the enemies especially archers, but with how mobile everyone is its rarely an option.

• If teammates are fighting, ignore them or go for backstabs. If they’re zerging on a certain spot, go for another area. If you’re a knight you should push with the team until you see an opportunity to get a flank or sneakily do an objective. If you’re MAA try and sneak around, fight if you have to but spatial awareness is key for TO.

• Don’t try to play fair. No one else will. The fact that you make strong attempts to avoid hitting your allies puts you at a disadvantage to them, but stop focusing on your kills and just try to play the objective. Even the best duelist might not fair that well in a team based fight.

• WTF did i just read? When you fight people coming from Mortal online, im quite sure you find this game very hard ;) but really, it isnt that hard, keep practicing

• Hello there,

I’ve registered myself now because I would like to help some people getting better in this game…
    @Dragonzord:

This game is incredibly difficult tbh.

Actually, it isnt. I can 1v1 anyone and hold my own easily. In duel servers, i have a 1:1 kdr, if not more…

[…]

I dont know what kind of game this is meant to be. There is no team play in the slightest with randoms (as in people you dont have voice comms with), and a single person cant achieve anything. So the hell am i meant to do? Throw caution to the wind and risk hitting friendlies around me? Ignore objectives?

First, this game isn’t that easy you think it is.
    I’ve played it a lot the last week. I got better, really good. I win the most duels. But then, there is this one damn server… With 10 other guys and EVERYbody is better than you and you are going to think, that you’re still a noob.

What I want to say is; this game is all about experience and learning.
    Believe me, you’re not as good as you think you are. I am not, too. There are servers where I kill everybody without getting hit. And then, there are servers with people who kill me in about 5 seconds.

The second: There IS teamplay, believe it. :) Do you remember the first week after release? That was definitely no teamplay. Just killing everything that was moving. Now it’s different. Of course, there are still a lot of new players and that is good, too. But remember - we were all new to a game in the past!

Speak (write) to (with) your team, tell the new people what to do. And if they’re not going to do so, finish the map and go look for another server.

After I got it, that I was a noob I went to “only duels” servers and was learning a lot. There was a real good MAA, who teached me the most “advanced tactics” (attacking from side, effective combos, the best feinting, …). And now I’m better than he. Now I am teaching other random guys that want it.
    I think I’ve trained with at least 20 people in game (about ~10 hours).

It’s a real cool community in game.

• Be an asshole, that’s pretty much how you play any pub FPS games if there’s not much teamwork. I save the ‘etiquette’ for duel servers or when you run into a decent enemy and you’re sure you’ll get to have a 1v1.

Bait enemies whenever possible into teammates
    Get behind the enemy, either by an alternate route or just walking in on a fight and circling them.
    Pick on archers if no one else is, it’s quite surprising how quickly a team can fall apart when there’s 1-2 enemy players cleaving through their archers.
    Basically anything that makes you facepalm when it happens to you
    Et cetera…

• @Carsha:

Be an asshole, that’s pretty much how you play any pub FPS games if there’s not much teamwork. I save the ‘etiquette’ for duel servers or when you run into a decent enemy and you’re sure you’ll get to have a 1v1.

Get behind the enemy, either by an alternate route or just walking in on a fight and circling them.
    Pick on archers if no one else is, it’s quite surprising how quickly a team can fall apart when there’s 1-2 enemy players cleaving through their archers.
    Et cetera…

not sure if troll or idiot

Don’t listen to this guy. This may be how some people play, but it isn’t how you need to play to be successful.

• @bada:

@Carsha:

Be an asshole, that’s pretty much how you play any pub FPS games if there’s not much teamwork. I save the ‘etiquette’ for duel servers or when you run into a decent enemy and you’re sure you’ll get to have a 1v1.

Et cetera…

not sure if troll or idiot

Don’t listen to this guy. This may be how some people play, but it isn’t how you need to play to be successful.

I actually think hes right, most pub games are full of people smashing lmb, they dont care if they kill their own teammates and after killing you they dont even say sorry. So being a bit of an asshole it may help you.

• I still stand by my statement. It may be how some people are playing, yes. But you don’t have to resort to this to be good at the game.

• @bada:

I still stand by my statement. It may be how some people are playing, yes. But you don’t have to resort to this to be good at the game.

Well, yeah, obviusly being an asshole won’t make you a better player, but you may get some cheap kills here and there, so you will kill more. But the real way to get better it’s just by playing more and more and more and more.

• Sure the title leads you to believe he wants to be a ‘better player’ but the body of the OP’s post is specifically regarding pub servers with bad teammates.

I was advising him how to be effective in this pub scenario, not better himself. I don’t really care if you agree with it or not, it works.

Also, never stated that this will make him a ‘good player’, please learn to read bada.

• Get a maul and spam that overhead swing no matter who is in the way.

• @Carsha:

Et cetera…

This guy is retarded. I’m a pubstomping star and I never TK intentionally or try to spread such hate. He’s just mad because he gets terrible KDs every game because he’s bad and instead of trying to improve, he trolls his own team mates and gets kicked consistently. bada’s right.

Stop being bad. Learn to play.

Anyway, at OP, I find being a lone wolf is much more effective than hanging with team mates. Find setups that work with you: I like knights and vanguards way more than archer and MaA even as a lone wolf. I like knight with longsword and flanged mace + kite shield, but I also love the pole axe, grand mace and messer. I also love the broad sword. I love vanguard with claymore and Dane axe, but also the halberd, brandistock, zweihander and even greatsword. Swords are built for effective comboing. The more you play the game and keep trying to better your self, the better you’ll get. You’ll start ending every public game like 40-10 easy.

• @SOC:

@Carsha:

Et cetera…

This guy is retarded. I’m a pubstomping star and I never TK intentionally or try to spread such hate. He’s just mad because he gets terrible KDs every game because he’s bad and instead of trying to improve, he trolls his own team mates and gets kicked consistently. bada’s right.

Stop being bad. Learn to play.

Anyway, at OP, I find being a lone wolf is much more effective than hanging with team mates. Find setups that work with you: I like knights and vanguards way more than archer and MaA even as a lone wolf. I like knight with longsword and flanged mace + kite shield, but I also love the pole axe, grand mace and messer. I also love the broad sword. I love vanguard with claymore and Dane axe, but also the halberd, brandistock, zweihander and even greatsword. Swords are built for effective comboing. The more you play the game and keep trying to better your self, the better you’ll get. You’ll start ending every public game like 40-10 easy.

I love how every post starts with;

I am rank X, I played for 3,000 hours, LISTEN TO MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Followed by random assumptions about the quoted players skill level.

Are you denying that what I advised he do isn’t effective? Do you run around and initiate 1v1’s in TO and then QQ when the enemy team swarms over you? Also, where are you seeing this ‘hate’ that I’m spreading? Where am I advocating the killing or damaging of teammates?

• practice against 16 bots in an ffa on stone hill. best ive done is 60-2, also u can practice not attacking at all just block and duck for 10 minutes. or just over heads or stabs or what ever you need to work on.

• Back on topic. How to get better.

Patience. That is number one. Not just patience on the time it takes, but during battle. Remember that every time you swing your sword, you are open to attack. I think you should be very careful of your surroundings and always be patient. Don’t trade hits with the enemy, go for a solid attack when he is open.

edit: typo

• @bada:

Back on topic. How to get better.

Patience. That is number one. Not just patience on the time it takes, but during battle. Remember that every time you swing your sword, you are open to attack. I think you should be very careful of your surroundings and always be patient. Don’t trade hits with the enemy, go for a solid attack when he is open.

No, don’t listen to him! I don’t want everyone to start being patient like him! LOL Keep rushing me so I can kill you easily!

• I’ve started to get better… I think.

Instead of trying to help team mates, as i always did, or get a tower shield to push towards the objectives, to shield team mates behind me… I’m just taking a kite shield, sword of war and falchion. Block constantly, wait for the right moment to stab and keep doing it till they die, or run away. I’ve held off 4 people yesterday by doing that, slowing their charge till my team mates got to me to kill them from behind… 3 rounds in a row i went 10/0. So I guess im learning to ignore team mates :P

As much as it claims to be, or tries to be, this is not a team game at all. Even the objectives mode isnt a team game. I simply think that because friendly fire is on, noone wants to go near the objectives because they’ll just get team killed by people spamming the left mouse button :/