A Few Suggestions

• Hey guys, seen a few topics like this so thought I’d just post my opinions on a few features which could be improved.

1. Make weapon unlocks points based rather than kills based;
      its very easy to go into a free for all and grind out most of the weapons in a short period of time.
      This would also mean greater emphasis on points for completing team objectives meaning that overall each game mode would reward the player equally for any mode they play rather than what gives the most kills.

2. Make more of a deal over levels/weapon unlocks;
      I like the fact that the HUD is very clean and empty on Chivalry however I would like to be informed when i unlock new weapons or rank up, allowing me to visually check my progress without leaving the game and also giving me a false sense of reward for what i am doing.

3. Exponential unlocks,
      Although the maximum of 2 unlocks per weapon class is somewhat exponential, as more weapons are added the ability to unlock them should become significantly longer, again giving a sense of achievement working towards an aim (perhaps not just kills/points based but even challenge based? i.e. get 200 kills with the previous weapon and complete all team objectives with that weapon equipped)

4. More Customisation,
      I know helmet customization isn’t accessible yet and torn banner have said no to armour customization, but a full customizable helmet or even shield customization would allow me to identify people who I’m personally going after or even a friend in some more fun games. I also feel that for this sake, names should be more visible (perhaps over head even the cursor is on them rather than down below?).

Just a few ideas, nothing major in the way of extra content; just tweaks to existing features. Let me know if you think these would make you feel a little bit more like your character?

Also a few other ideas,

1. In game back story (perhaps on loading or spawn screens?);
      The agatha knights and the mason order seems to have rich back story as seen in the tutorial and team objectives, a brief over view of what the team objects are their for, what the factions are trying to gain in the over arching story might make immersion a little bit more in depth. Same goes for a small statements about maps, as the ruins in loading i’d like a few sentences just telling me about the ruins?

2. More Siege Weapons,
      I thought the introduction of player controlled siege weapons was simply ingenious, allowing very imprecise but powerful weapons to be at the hands of the player. More of these scattered around maps would be good though. For instance where their are oil buckets, why not allow the poured oil to be lit after (or by oil pot as a huge temporary oil pot) or even at the oil stations, allow archers to shoot fire arrows?

3. Finally, fine tuning integration with steam,
      Not much to say here except that the achievement list for me in missing and the invite system is near impossible to use at time.

4. A better, easier to use vote kick system? :D

• I think the only point on this I don’t agree with would be #2. I do think there should be some kind’ve notification, but I’d prefer to avoid the flashy and distracting notice you get in shooter games like Modern Warfare. Maybe if they only told you about it when you’re on the class selection screen?

I’d also ADORE having some shield colour options, or even a few selections of plumages for helmets when customization goes through.

• Like i mentioned, i do love the very clean “HUD” and so fully agree with you disagreeing!
    What about just a small line of text in the chat box instead saying for instance “Alfrayer has unlocked the Falchion” if it were to be public (Team fortress style) or “You have unlocked the Falchion” if it is just viewable by you?

• @Alfrayer:

1. Make weapon unlocks points based rather than kills based;
      its very easy to go into a free for all and grind out most of the weapons in a short period of time.
      This would also mean greater emphasis on points for completing team objectives meaning that overall each game mode would reward the player equally for any mode they play rather than what gives the most kills.

2. Exponential unlocks,
      Although the maximum of 2 unlocks per weapon class is somewhat exponential, as more weapons are added the ability to unlock them should become significantly longer, again giving a sense of achievement working towards an aim (perhaps not just kills/points based but even challenge based? i.e. get 200 kills with the previous weapon and complete all team objectives with that weapon equipped)

The point of unlocks isn’t to be a grind; it’s just meant to acclimate new players to the weapons gradually and also start them off with more basic weapons before they get their hands on the more specialized ones. Hence why the starting weapons are generally the well-rounded ones while the later weapons have more defined strengths and weaknesses.

@Alfrayer:

1. Make more of a deal over levels/weapon unlocks;
      I like the fact that the HUD is very clean and empty on Chivalry however I would like to be informed when i unlock new weapons or rank up, allowing me to visually check my progress without leaving the game and also giving me a false sense of reward for what i am doing.

Better indication of unlock and rank progress is in the works.

@Alfrayer:

1. More Customisation,
      I know helmet customization isn’t accessible yet and torn banner have said no to armour customization, but a full customizable helmet or even shield customization would allow me to identify people who I’m personally going after or even a friend in some more fun games. I also feel that for this sake, names should be more visible (perhaps over head even the cursor is on them rather than down below?).

More helmets are coming, and emblem customization is a possibility in the future (was one of the kickstarter goals which was just barely missed).

@Alfrayer:

1. In game back story (perhaps on loading or spawn screens?);
      The agatha knights and the mason order seems to have rich back story as seen in the tutorial and team objectives, a brief over view of what the team objects are their for, what the factions are trying to gain in the over arching story might make immersion a little bit more in depth. Same goes for a small statements about maps, as the ruins in loading i’d like a few sentences just telling me about the ruins?

I agree this would be cool - originally the plan for AoC, the Source mod predecessor to Chivalry, was to have all of the maps act as a multiplayer campaign - all of the maps would be tied together in some way, and which team won the map would decide which map was played next, to give you a sense of progression and story. I really hope the team can end up working this into Chivalry, because it was an extremely cool idea IMO.

@Alfrayer:

1. More Siege Weapons,
      I thought the introduction of player controlled siege weapons was simply ingenious, allowing very imprecise but powerful weapons to be at the hands of the player. More of these scattered around maps would be good though. For instance where their are oil buckets, why not allow the poured oil to be lit after (or by oil pot as a huge temporary oil pot) or even at the oil stations, allow archers to shoot fire arrows?

Not exactly a player-controlled siege weapon, but there is a siege tower in the game already; once there’s a proper map to use it in you’ll be able to push it up to besiege a wall fortress. Fire arrows are also in the game already (bots sometimes cheat and use them) and I suspect they’ll be a map-specific weapon.

@Alfrayer:

1. Finally, fine tuning integration with steam,
      Not much to say here except that the achievement list for me in missing and the invite system is near impossible to use at time.

Achievements aren’t actually implemented yet; they were released sortof accidentally when they were being tested internally. Invites/joining friends’ games not working is tied to the server browser sometimes reporting servers as full when they aren’t, I think - this should be fixed next patch (which is hopefully this week) when the server browser is being completely rebuilt.

@Alfrayer:

1. A better, easier to use vote kick system? :D

Votekick will be integrated into the scoreboard soon.

• @Alfrayer:

1. Exponential unlocks,

Please GO PLAY LINEAGE!
    Or better suggest the same thing in oldschool CS (to unlock weapons). And let the force be with you.

Oh … hate that stupid players who DO NOT WANT TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY.
    They want to sit before the monitor and earn wealth and power with their asses.
    Better learn to play… do you think you’re at your maximum? No? Than go and do not even think about unlocks untill you’re really good at fencing etc.

Do people have so much free time so they do not know where to waste it?
    Unlocking = just less time to actually play and master your playstyle.
    Unlocks may only like guy who wasted his time, slashing all days long… and being PWNed buy a smart and tricky newbie player…
    And that’s how it should always be. If you suck - that would not change no matter how long you slash-jerked.

• @BoBBer:

@Alfrayer:

1. Exponential unlocks,

Please GO PLAY LINEAGE!
    Or better suggest the same thing in oldschool CS (to unlock weapons). And let the force be with you.

Oh … hate that stupid players who DO NOT WANT TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY.
    They want to sit before the monitor and earn wealth and power with their asses.
    Better learn to play… do you think you’re at your maximum? No? Than go and do not even think about unlocks untill you’re really good at fencing etc.

Do people have so much free time so they do not know where to waste it?
    Unlocking = just less time to actually play and master your playstyle.
    Unlocks may only like guy who wasted his time, slashing all days long… and being PWNed buy a smart and tricky newbie player…
    And that’s how it should always be. If you suck - that would not change no matter how long you slash-jerked.

A little angry there :D but I do agree with you. I believe any sort of ‘unlockables’ from leveling/ranking up should be purely cosmetic rather than (nowadays the seemingly typical) restricting of weapons to rank which turns the game into a grind.

These sort of ‘prestige’ ranks or whatever the hell you call them should purely be for e-peen measurement.

Other than that, I pretty much agree with you OP.

Meh, my 2 cents.

• Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mean grinding hundreds of kills to get a weapon that can hit faster, stronger and a better range to give an unfair advantage. I simply mean spacing out the unlocks more evenly whilst consistently working towards goals. This would add some form of longevity to the level up and although not to everyone’s taste, i think this can even be achieved with cosmetic items as stated above. Nice to see that alot of these ideas at varying stages of development though, the siege tower sounds really cool.