Development team is too quiet- Players expect communication

• We are living in a new era of video games…An era where the most astute developers make heavy use of twitter, blogs, forums, whatever to communicate with their fans. All I see is silence from Torn Banner. One post of “what we’re working on” and one significant blog update.

Player numbers are already falling. Part of the reason for this is that there is no assured continuity of the game. We need to know what you are doing. It doesn’t matter if it’s just a couple sentences, we want to be informed more frequently.

Cheating is running rampant in the game, and the combo feint maneuver needs to be fixed. After learning how to do it I discovered that I could win practically any fight with the halberd or norse sword, and I recognized how many of the skilless norse sword users have been using the technique on me before I knew it existed. I don’t mind having extra complexity in the game, but something like a fourth swing could replace the combo feint. Combo feint doesn’t fit into the current rock-paper-scissors/mental strategy game that Chivalry represents.

The future of this game is made or broken within the next month. To keep players coming back, WE NEED COMMUNICATION.

• Edited by Moderator: Telling people to “STFU” is not welcome here.

• rofl

• Yeah, where is the two weeks patch? I think it’s been almost a month.

• @acrh2:

Yeah, where is the two weeks patch? I think it’s been almost a month.

Exactly. Stuff like combo feint can be hotfixed. It’s literally a few lines of code.

if(doing.combo) {

feint.dontwork

}

the end!

• The first patch is mostly a bugfixing patch, just to let you know. It aims to fix a large number of issues, not just a single issue.

• I agree with Swayze. I know most devs are afraid to give a date of the next patch because something could take longer than expected and disappoint everyone. Still, saying:

“Half our company took a two week vacation following the release. Without them, we are having more trouble than expected with these bugs, so we have to push the patch back a week.”

… is far better than letting everyone here sit in speculation for that week. It’s hard to be patient or forgiving if there’s no apparent reason for a delay.

This of course is assuming there will be a delay; there might not be. In that case just say the patch will be out in two days, I’d love to hear that news :D

• @Martin:

The first patch is mostly a bugfixing patch, just to let you know. It aims to fix a large number of issues, not just a single issue.

Right, but the question is, where is it? Why are simple issues that could be hotfixed not being addressed in the mean time? Where is the communication from the development team?

Look at Natural Selection 2 while it was in development. Blogs every few days, in-depth videos showing new features that were being worked on, etc. It kept the fanbase interested through a 3-year development period. I just think there’d be more people in the servers if the devs were really paying attention and trying to stay in touch. Now that I’ve learned about combo feint, I don’t really want to play anymore, because I can recognize when other people are using it.

Not to mention, this game would explode into 10 times greater popularity if modding were possible…Some news on modding would be great.

• I’d rather them be working on the patch than reading threads like this. They’ve given us enough communication to keep satisfied.

• LMAO when I posted a thread about two weeks patch a few days ago, people were like, ‘stfu and be patient’

Where is the patch now?

• @SOC:

I’d rather them be working on the patch than reading threads like this.

Not an excuse. There are developers with much bigger jobs to do, and still find time to communicate (Riot Games for example)

• @RushSecond:

@SOC:

I’d rather them be working on the patch than reading threads like this.

Not an excuse. There are developers with much bigger jobs to do, and still find time to communicate (Riot Games for example)

Please don’t use them as an example for anyone to follow, haha. I’m sure their staff is literally a hundred times larger than Torn Banner, as well.

• Developer

Testing the patch will begin this week, and hopefully we can also release the patch this week. Launch month has been insane , we recognize the importance of communicating with the community though and will strive to do better in the future.

No one on the team has gone on vacation, there is a lot to do and not many of us to do it, we are working hard, and hopefully the coming patch and future updates will continue to show that.

• @Tibberius:

Testing the patch will begin this week, and hopefully we can also release the patch this week. Launch month has been insane , we recognize the importance of communicating with the community though and will strive to do better in the future.

No one on the team has gone on vacation, there is a lot to do and not many of us to do it, we are working hard, and hopefully the coming patch and future updates will continue to show that.

Heart you Tibbs! Would you mind writing a post detailing the economics and decisions behind trying to release a big bug fix patch versus smaller hotfixes as you called the first one?

• Tibberius, that’s great to hear! Thanks for your response!

• Thanks for the heads up Tibberius!

No worries either. I think most of us understand you’re a small developer with a lot on your plate. I’d rather you take your sweet time and make sure everything is actually fixed… cough… BF3 MAV exploit… cough You can’t do any worse than EA/DICE, who’s update information comes in the form of twitter posts and whos “patches” are a lot of useless “balance” changes and false claims they have actually fixed certain issues.

• Take your time to do it right. Best motto to live by. For us, just requires patience. Although I admit I can’t wait for the dueling mode.

• First of all: Torn Banner is the most community involved team I have had the privilege of sharing a forum with, and I’ve played a hell of a lot of games in my time.

Secondly: I’m all for the new age and community interaction, because it’s a good change and a win-win situation for both parties -> Gamers provide feedback, Devs act on feedback.

Now after stating those two points…

@Swayze’s:

We are living in a new era of video games…An era where the most astute developers make heavy use of twitter, blogs, forums, whatever to communicate with their fans. All I see is silence from Torn Banner. One post of “what we’re working on” and one significant blog update.

Player numbers are already falling. Part of the reason for this is that there is no assured continuity of the game. We need to know what you are doing. It doesn’t matter if it’s just a couple sentences, we want to be informed more frequently.

Cheating is running rampant in the game, and the combo feint maneuver needs to be fixed. After learning how to do it I discovered that I could win practically any fight with the halberd or norse sword, and I recognized how many of the skilless norse sword users have been using the technique on me before I knew it existed. I don’t mind having extra complexity in the game, but something like a fourth swing could replace the combo feint. Combo feint doesn’t fit into the current rock-paper-scissors/mental strategy game that Chivalry represents.

The future of this game is made or broken within the next month. To keep players coming back, WE NEED COMMUNICATION.

Your post made you sound extremely inconsiderate.

Torn Banner is an indie company, and personally I think that they’re pushing the limitations of what an indie company is actually classed as. You will find that the companies with constant social media updates, have paid employees simply for that task. Many of those companies have a vast amount of employees and atleast a couple of big selling games under their belt.

Did you ever think that there hasn’t been alot of dev involvement on the forums lately because they might be hard at work (in their spare time) on the upcoming patch?

Patience.

(yes, I read the entire thread)

• I don’t think it was inconsiderate at all. I know what it takes for games to maintain their fan bases and I addressed it. I have been around online gaming since its inception. Working on the patch “in their spare time”? This is their job. The game was successful. I am ready to throw money at them.

• @Swayze’s:

I don’t think it was inconsiderate at all. I know what it takes for games to maintain their fan bases and I addressed it. I have been around online gaming since its inception. Working on the patch “in their spare time”? This is their job. The game was successful. I am ready to throw money at them.

Oh, so we have an expert with us…how nice. Why don’t you get hired on at some company to “…maintain their fan base…”.