Native controller support would get gamers to purchase

• This game looks phenomenal. I followed it on kickstarter, I followed it on game sites and was itching to purchase the game and start playing. Only one HUGE roadblock presents itself though that prevents me from taking the plunge. The controller support is low grade and is not native. Almost all other games coming out on computer these days allow you to plug in an xbox 360 controller and use it without issue. All controls available on the keyboard are functional through the game pad. Yes I know you can can edit the game to allow controls through a controller, however its glitchy and the gaming experience is not the same as a keyboard and mouse.

I simply, cannot play mouse and keyboard games because my computer hasn’t been at a desk ever since the advent of large screen TV’s. I use my computer connected to my 60" Sony Bravia tv. For this reason, gaming with mouse and keyboard is next to impossible. Yes I know you can do it, but its hard and difficult. Its extremely unconformable and plain not fun. What kind of surface do you put your mouse on? Your keyboard has to sit on your lap, how do you keep it from moving around? How do you make the experience comfortable and natural feeling? I can surf usually but when I surf I tend to use my macbook cus simply, its much easier than doing so from the couch. For these reasons, I think it would be awesome and amazing if native controller support was added to this game. If it was I would purchase the game in a heart beat.

I am sure there are a lot of untapped gamers like myself wanting to dive right in but won’t, because doing so would be very difficult given our pc setups. We live in a day and age when almost all developers are making games with native controller support. So I plead and beg, please consider a patch to add just this. I dearly want to purchase and play this game. Please make it possible for gamers like myself to do so! The most recent example of a game with native support is Dishonored. Game like it perform flawlessly regardless if using a controller or not.

• This game wouldn’t play well on a controller at all. You’d get dominated. Just my two cents. I know people say that about everything, but chivalry is really a game of inches sometimes. The gross, inaccurate movements of a controller simply will not be good enough IMO.

That said, there is little reason not to have controller support, from a technical standpoint. But it’s certainly a “this goes in last if we have time” type of consideration when there are currently cheating/exploiting issues and etc.

• I appreciate you taking the time to read and consider this request. I work for a software development company so I can totally understand this being low on the priority list.

Not sure if this helps but its worth mentioning in case it does. Games like Skyrim, Fallout, Oblivion, Dishonored operate with a controller at the same speed as mouse and keyboard. I’m not a programmer so I can’t suggest how its coded to do so, just mentioning the games since their developers were able to overcome that challenge.

I am guessing the biggest challenge would be the camera control to switch targets that are taking you on from the side, behind etc… The games I mentioned allow you to press in one of the Analog stick to immediately face the direction the camera is in. Another option is to have the Analog stick to be pressed to face the target attacking you.

Btw, its very awesome you guys are taking in player feedback and doing what you can to incorporate whats being asked. Its a quality that will put you guys ahead of your competition :)

• I’m not a dev team member, just a forum member :)

There is no “lock on” targeting in Chivalry as you seemed to suggest. All aiming is manual. This feature could not be included as it would be entirely unfair to mouse/kb players. That’s one reason I said this game particularly would not work too well on a controller.

• @Swayze’s:

I’m not a dev team member, just a forum member :)

There is no “lock on” targeting in Chivalry as you seemed to suggest. All aiming is manual. This feature could not be included as it would be entirely unfair to mouse/kb players. That’s one reason I said this game particularly would not work too well on a controller.

I just assumed only developers were replying. I was making suggestions because code wise, anything is possible. The lock on I mentioned, was a possible item they could implement but I had thought you were a developer. I assumed only they would be responding to Ideas and Suggestions.

• Nope…each and every subforum is active and alive with good posts and good ideas from Chivalry players! :)