Rules & Tweaks

• Rules for competive gameplay
    Its important that we gather up the rules that are confirmed to take place, rules that are still being discussed today or your own personal thoughts for what should be added. And aswell ideas for tweaks can be discussed here, for example IF your screen should turn all black upon death till you respawn to prevent you from scouting out the enemy in free-cam perspective… That idea might increase the challange.

–----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts / Ideas about Chivalry clan competive play rules :

? 50% rule to prevent each team from stacking some classes entirely. - (" I believe its still required cause of the fact that a 8 versus 8 team based with only knights as defender is really really hard to get past, unless the other 8 players goes knight aswell ")

? Friendlyfire turned on, and with addition 100% teamdamage.

? No thirdperson. -(" Still being discussed today, although I think this would be vital to prevent people from poping out from corners with dead-on accuracy because they were able peek around corners with thirdperson, I only see this as a opportunity to exploit." )

? Class weapon restrictions (?)

? Making Arrowcam ability only for archers.

? Black screen upon death to prevent scouting around with free-cam look (?)

–----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Confirmed rules : - (" Rules that will most likely take place ")

? 100% Friendlyfire?
    ? 50% Class?

Please share your ideas & thoughts.

Will try to update the post for each time one rule is suggested, or if one is good enough to find its place on the confirmed list.

Rule explainations :

50% class rule
    The 50% class rule means that there has to be a balance between each invidual team’s setup, what their class of choice is. With 50% rule, you cannot have a team based on pure knights, vanguards, Man-at arms nor Archers. There has to be a balance between those two. For example, A team of five can be based like so: ( Two Knights, One vanguard, Two man-at arms ) And not for example ( Four Knights and one Vanguard / Archer / Man-at arms ) This rule will make the competive match a lot more challanging, so that the defender team suddenly don’t go five knights with shields. Knights holds the highest armour rate, and therefor they can survive tons of blows from the enemy. Not to mention that the maps currently available to the game that has the gamemode teamobjective, the defender must not go too far to reach their defending point, So no need for high speed class in that case.

Friendlfire 100%
    Any damage caused to an teammate would be the same as if you would caused it to your enemy, this will help out the match being more challanging, as you can’t just pick any swing weapon and swing mindlessly into groups.

• I do not support the 100% friendly fire rule.

• @wildwulfy:

8 versus 8

It’s just impossible to have anything close to a decent competitive scene with teams that big. The magic number is 5, anything less and it gets too selective and elitist, anything more and the number of teams will exponentially decrease.

@wildwulfy:

? Black screen upon death.
    ? 100% Friendlyfire turned on.
    ? No thirdperson.

Yes, yes and yes. All no-brainers IMO.

@wildwulfy:

? Making Arrowcam ability only for archers.

I think it should be completely disabled. The whole scouting around with arrows thingy is kinda silly.

@wildwulfy:

? 50% rule to prevent each team from stacking some classes entirely. - (" I believe its still required cause of the fact that a 8 versus 8 team based with only knights as defender is really really hard to get past, unless the other 8 players goes knight aswel
    ? Class weapon restrictions

You can’t have competitive gameplay with that many artificial restrictions imposed to bandage huge imbalances in the game.
    If the best team composition for some map is an all knights team, then there’s obvious design problems that should be looked at by the developers. Maps and classes should be optimized for 5v5 games, so that any class is as relevant as possible in all maps.

Other ideas (mostly by other forums members):

? Well known bugs and things obviously not working as intended should be forbidden. The machine gun javelin or the attack-combo-cancel-attack are clear examples.
    ? A set maximum ping, as animations and effects don’t match what actually happens when its too high. I think something around 150 could be a good number.
    ? No smurfing allowed.

• @Dr.Nick:

I do not support the 100% friendly fire rule.

Any reasons?

• how would one smurf in this game?

also, i think the magic number for teams in this game is 9v9, the game just isn’t as good with anything less and gets too difficult to get together with anything more. if you have a 5v5 it’s not the difficult to find four other players that you enjoy playing with. it’s not impossible to have a competitive scene with an 8v8 team, you might not be able to do lan tournaments but even those are a long way in the future.

weapon restrictions will only be implemented if a weapon is see too OP bu the community. so far there’s not a sing weapon that is just better.

the class restriction is so that you force variety into the game, no one wants to watch an all knight team fight an all vanguard team. with a mix of classes the meta and dynamic of the game changes immensely.

• @Vox:

how would one smurf in this game?

also, i think the magic number for teams in this game is 9v9, the game just isn’t as good with anything less and gets too difficult to get together with anything more. if you have a 5v5 it’s not the difficult to find four other players that you enjoy playing with. it’s not impossible to have a competitive scene with an 8v8 team, you might not be able to do lan tournaments but even those are a long way in the future.

weapon restrictions will only be implemented if a weapon is see too OP bu the community. so far there’s not a sing weapon that is just better.

the class restriction is so that you force variety into the game, no one wants to watch an all knight team fight an all vanguard team. with a mix of classes the meta and dynamic of the game changes immensely.

We in RK ran a TO practice last sunday, and we could clearly see that a 50% rule was necessary because of the fact that the team of only knights were so suprior.

• imagine playing TF2 against engineers only

• Whole team of engineers in TF2 would just slightly delay an inevitable loss. One uber and it’s over.

• I suggest 12 v 12. Most clans have more then 7 members? The only rule could be 3 archers per side limit?
    no class changes once match has started ? Large clans might want to have a chance to field 12 players on a team , what fun that would be.(Team Objective)

Although a Capture the Booty match could be ok with 5v5 or 6v6
    could not the rules also be agreed upon before hand by the captains of both teams? ( team compositions etc).

its all good fun

• I find all this anti third person stuff very annoying. Not right for you guys to force your preferences on other people.

• @Smellyhobo101:

I find all this anti third person stuff very annoying. Not right for you guys to force your preferences on other people.

Once again nobody is forcing everyone to make a tournament that stops 3rd person. The rules of the league/tournament are up to who is running it. If you want a league/tournament with 3rd person start your own or find other people to start one. No one is forcing you to play in 1st person only matches as no one is stopping you from setting up a 3rd person one.

• My only gripe with third person is the potential to exploit it while parrying with a tower shield.

100% friendly fire, naturally, agree.

Fade to black (or being locked to teammates POV), again, obviously agree.

Arrowcam I think should be disabled full stop, not just for classes other than archer. There are quite a few maps/spots where the arrow cam can be abused to scout the enemy team whom would normally not be visible.

Class weapon restrictions, no thank you. This would be restricted enough if there were class restrictions.

Class restrictions, a maybe. I agree with what negocromn is saying but the reality is we have to work with what we have, and what we have isn’t perfect.

Also agree with the obvious ‘no use of glitches’ rule.

I assume another rule would also be that all players are required to record any ‘competitive’ matches?

• @wildwulfy:

@Dr.Nick:

Any reasons?

It makes playing vanguard even harder when the class is already very weak. That and it only discourages less skilled players who can use tactics and teamwork but may not be the best in a 1vs1 fight.

• I also see no problem with 8vs8s as an option. 5vs5s will be easier at first since it requires less people to organize but in a best case scenario we will see 8vs8s and maybe even 16vs16 one day if the game continues to be popular.

• @Dr.Nick:

@wildwulfy:

@Dr.Nick:

Any reasons?

It makes playing vanguard even harder when the class is already very weak. That and it only discourages less skilled players who can use tactics and teamwork but may not be the best in a 1vs1 fight.

lol? im confused…

• @Vq.|Phoenix:

lol? im confused…

I’m also confused. Turning off friendly fire would only encourage players to swarm eachother without any thought for positioning/tracers seeing as they could freely cleave through teammates into enemies.

Hooray wall of knights/vanguards LMB mashing…

• Love it when public players state their opinions, and friendly fire is really a big need for the clan wars. So many powerful weapons I had to push aside cause they were dangerous even for my team.

• About team sizes: I don’t see any reason that there should be a gold standard for team sizes. If you have a big clan and want to enter a league/tournament with a max 5 players restriction, you can go ahead and split your normal 10 player team into 2 separate teams (most tournaments/leagues will allow this, I assume, has been commonplace in other games) - if you want to start up your own league/tournament of 10v10, you’re totally within your right to do so. Just realize that you’ll have far less teams competing, because for many people even getting a team of 5 together is tough.

• 1v1 and 5v5 are fine, it just bothers me that some people say that competitive play is only good at 5v5 because either they’re ignorant or can’t be bothered to find a few more people, i’d also hate the day to see this game become medieval CoD. i think once this game gets more popular 9v9 will be more popular, but since it’s new i can understand why 1v1 and 5v5 is more popular atm.

• It all depends on the gamemode… LTS could be played with 2o2 or 3o3 or anything else. TO would be kinda useless with less than 5 players per team. I think arrowcam and spectator-cam should be blocked completely (aka you can just follow your mates in first-person)

• why should spectate be blocked? most deaths you’re locked onto your model until you respawn anyway, or you only have a couple seconds to look around. spectator is crucial to any type of a spectator sport. i really hope to see them improve spectator. spectator cam only matters in TO anyway which you’ll be seeing where they go if you have a good archer, since most LTS maps are tiny.