Player Name System?

• Hi,
    I have made my thoughts on this topic for weeks now, and I wanted to ask if anyone has an idea how a kind of a player name system should be integrated in the game.
    As fas as I know, the dev’s are not sure if they want to release CMW on steam. If they do, then the old system from AoC works fine. But if they don’t, what kind of system would they use?
    Everyone enters his name ingame and it will be automaticlly checked if this name is avialiable? But where the whole user data will be saved?
    Renting/Running an own server server for that is the only possibility I see. In my opinion, a registration on the first start of the game is the best way, but the player should be able to change his name later. With this system, the dev’s have to manage a lot of things, f. ex. the capacity of the server and the costs for it, but if they do their job well (and I know they will ;) ), this system would work.

What do you(and if they read, the dev’s) think of this system, or do you have another idea?

• I think it should work like some games. They have a “player profile” option on startup. They create a profile, enter the name they want, set up their character (Hoping for facial features, but not expecting them), and can play immediately. There is no check to see if the name is available, as that is rather rediculous, in my opinion. I always game under the name of Ajax, and I don’t want to be denied my name simply because someone else is already using it.

You can change your name at any time, once you are not in a server as you’d have to go to the profile screen. You could have as many profiles as you want, but they would all need different names.

Name recognition (So you don’t think my Ajax is the same as someone else’s) would have it so that as you play, you earn titles, such as “Longstride” if you’re always moving, or “The Bold” if you’re always charging into combat, or “Kin-slayer” if you have a record of TK’s. And the player would be able to switch which title he/she would be using. Honorary titles, such as “Sir” or “Lord” added on to the beginning of the name would be awarded for great feats or consistantly being named as the MVP for the round.

Clan tags would be added in as either the name of the lord under which you serve, added before or after the player name, or added as a title, depending on how the clan/player wants to address it.

Under this system, the variety of names could be as follows:

[G] Ajax the Dumbass
    Sir [G] Ajax the Dumbas
    Sir Ajax of [G]
    Sir Ajax the Dumbass, under [G]

or any others. This allows for name variety, and the ability to recognise players based on what titles they have/prefer, or what clan they’re with.

• @Ajax:

I think it should work like some games. They have a “player profile” option on startup. They create a profile, enter the name they want, set up their character (Hoping for facial features, but not expecting them), and can play immediately. There is no check to see if the name is available, as that is rather rediculous, in my opinion. I always game under the name of Ajax, and I don’t want to be denied my name simply because someone else is already using it.

You can change your name at any time, once you are not in a server as you’d have to go to the profile screen. You could have as many profiles as you want, but they would all need different names.

Name recognition (So you don’t think my Ajax is the same as someone else’s) would have it so that as you play, you earn titles, such as “Longstride” if you’re always moving, or “The Bold” if you’re always charging into combat, or “Kin-slayer” if you have a record of TK’s. And the player would be able to switch which title he/she would be using. Honorary titles, such as “Sir” or “Lord” added on to the beginning of the name would be awarded for great feats or consistantly being named as the MVP for the round.

Clan tags would be added in as either the name of the lord under which you serve, added before or after the player name, or added as a title, depending on how the clan/player wants to address it.

Under this system, the variety of names could be as follows:

[G] Ajax the Dumbass
    Sir [G] Ajax the Dumbas
    Sir Ajax of [G]
    Sir Ajax the Dumbass, under [G]

or any others. This allows for name variety, and the ability to recognise players based on what titles they have/prefer, or what clan they’re with.

This is an awesome idea. I don’t think you should be able to change your “title” however, I think it should update every month depending on how you play. So if you go hopping from server to server tking, you get stuck with “Kin-Slayer” for a month. But if you always complete objectives, you should have the appropriate name (such as “the Brave” or “the Lionheart”)

• I dig the titles bit, but if some dufus is running around with “The Lionheart” on the end of his name, he’s really gonna get picked on.

• @Mike:

I dig the titles bit, but if some dufus is running around with “The Lionheart” on the end of his name, he’s really gonna get picked on.

I don’t see how. This is a medieval game, after all.

Edit:* It also adds to the atmosphere.