Forced Perspective

• Some servers are locking 1st person perspective as the only option. Do you feel like this makes sense?

Some people feel that 3rd person view is better, which I’m assuming is why it is a server option to force the perspective to 1st person. However, if they felt it was better shouldn’t it just be up to them to choose it? If there is no way to take this option away, can we at least get an indicator on the find server screen if it is enabled so we don’t have to waste the time to join the server and then try again?

• @Index:

Some servers are locking 1st person perspective as the only option. Do you feel like this makes sense?

Some people feel that 3rd person view is better, which I’m assuming is why it is a server option to force the perspective to 1st person. However, if they felt it was better shouldn’t it just be up to them to choose it? If there is no way to take this option away, can we at least get an indicator on the find server screen if it is enabled so we don’t have to waste the time to join the server and then try again?

Servers, like Lg do it because tourney rules are generally 1st person only. So it makes sense to practice this way. All the official ones(I think) are not locked.

• We believe in a level playing field for everyone, so all RK servers are locked to 1st person and have 100% team damage.

Edit: I’ve cleaned up the silly bickering and added the request to the list of suggestions.

• Love you too Martin <3 <3

• No one has still answered the Op’s question. Is the new server browser going to have a visual indication that a server uses a perspective lock?

• The server browser is being re-worked to include server information before you join it, so it’s possible the perspective lock can easily be integrated too but whether it’s part of it right now is unknown to everyone except the developers; you’ll have to wait until one of them chime in, if they decide to.

• @Martin:

We believe in a level playing field for everyone, so all RK servers are locked to 1st person and have 100% team damage.

Edit: I’ve cleaned up the silly bickering and added the request to the list of suggestions.

I appreciate the response, but I don’t follow your logic. Even if you don’t lock it, it is still a level playing field. It isn’t like you charged people money for the ability to unlock it, anyone can press ‘L’, or why don’t you lock it with 3rd person?

• @Index:

@Martin:

We believe in a level playing field for everyone, so all RK servers are locked to 1st person and have 100% team damage.

I appreciate the response, but I don’t follow your logic. Even if you don’t lock it, it is still a level playing field. It isn’t like you charged people money for the ability to unlock it, anyone can press ‘L’, or why don’t you lock it with 3rd person?

Very good point.
    I mean, you just nailed it.

On the other hand, I disagree with Martin’s implied point that the third person view is superior to first person view:

1. You can judge animation identity and engagement distance better from a first person view. For the distance - much better.
    2. You can use 3d sound (which UE3 does provide in spades) to judge much better where footsteps, hits/swing sounds, and other relevant sounds come from. And if you don’t use 3d sounds with headphones (using a technology something like cmss3d of X-Fi sound cards or a similar tech), you giving up a huge advantage potential. U
      Using 3d sound with a 3rd person view is MUCH more difficult, because sounds coming from behind and front, letf and right, up and down sound much more similar.

• Well the way we see it is like this: Why should X, a third person player, get a view advantage over Y, a first person player, just because Y either preferred playing in first person, or because they wanted to stick to the roots of the game, which is a first person game.

Chivalry is kind of the opposite of Mount and Blade in a way; in MB the animations were all designed to be great in 3rd person, and then they simply stuck a camera in the player’s neck and allowed first person from the press of a button, so sometimes, you don’t even see your arms or weapon in first person in MB. In Chivalry, every single animation is tailored to work in first person and show perfectly in first person (for example, in third person, the 2H sword is behind you, whereas in first, it’s on your screen). The game stems from Age of Chivalry, a first-person only game (Ok, so thirdperson was possible through a glitch, but disregarding that). I can’t speak for other clans, but RK comes from Age of Chivalry, hence the reason we are favourable towards first person only. If there are server owners out there who want to lock to third person to level the playing field that way, that is entirely their choice and it should be respected, just as we ask others to respect our point of view.

I disagree with Martin’s implied point that the third person view is superior to first person view

You’re perfectly welcome to disagree, but in our particular case, as all RK share a common view and we pay for our servers, we choose to lock it.

• @Martin:

Well the way we see it is like this: Why should X, a third person player, get a view advantage over Y, a first person player, just because Y either preferred playing in first person, or because they wanted to stick to the roots of the game, which is a first person game.

Chivalry is kind of the opposite of Mount and Blade in a way; in MB the animations were all designed to be great in 3rd person, and then they simply stuck a camera in the player’s neck and allowed first person from the press of a button, so sometimes, you don’t even see your arms or weapon in first person in MB. In Chivalry, every single animation is tailored to work in first person and show perfectly in first person (for example, in third person, the 2H sword is behind you, whereas in first, it’s on your screen). The game stems from Age of Chivalry, a first-person only game (Ok, so thirdperson was possible through a glitch, but disregarding that). I can’t speak for other clans, but RK comes from Age of Chivalry, hence the reason we are favourable towards first person only. If there are server owners out there who want to lock to third person to level the playing field that way, that is entirely their choice and it should be respected, just as we ask others to respect our point of view.

I disagree with Martin’s implied point that the third person view is superior to first person view

You’re perfectly welcome to disagree, but in our particular case, as all RK share a common view and we pay for our servers, we choose to lock it.

Do you really think that the 3-rd person view would be superior in competitive matches?
    And why, please. Just want opinion to make up my mind…

• Some people will tell you ‘you can look around corners’, but I don’t see that as the deciding factor really. Third person undeniably allows you to see more around you at any given time, so when it comes to anyone approaching from your side, or back, it will likely mean they will be faced with a reaction from you that wouldn’t normally happen if you were in first person. It’s quite simple to test it out really, get around 6-7 people to stand around you in a circle, take a screenshot in first person, take another screenshot in third person, just look at what you can and can’t defend yourself against and think how you could turn quickly to parry people from either side, whereas in first, you might not even see someone 90 degrees to your left or right before it’s too late and you won’t see someone behind you at all. There’s also the case of shields - shields are meant to cover your view when you’re blocking, especially the Tower shield as that covers pretty much your entire view - in third person, you can negate the shield covering your view completely.

• @Index:

Some servers are locking 1st person perspective as the only option. Do you feel like this makes sense?

i agree, the browser should specify server rules, perhaps it will someday soon.

Our servers offer 1st person only and 1 server with default aspects “1ST OR 3RD”, in the end choose the server you wish to play on “hopefully they list their aspects in their name” or shell out your money, rent your own server and run it how you wish.

• @Martin:

Some people will tell you ‘you can look around corners’, but I don’t see that as the deciding factor really. Third person undeniably allows you to see more around you at any given time, so when it comes to anyone approaching from your side, or back, it will likely mean they will be faced with a reaction from you that wouldn’t normally happen if you were in first person. It’s quite simple to test it out really, get around 6-7 people to stand around you in a circle, take a screenshot in first person, take another screenshot in third person, just look at what you can and can’t defend yourself against and think how you could turn quickly to parry people from either side, whereas in first, you might not even see someone 90 degrees to your left or right before it’s too late and you won’t see someone behind you at all. There’s also the case of shields - shields are meant to cover your view when you’re blocking, especially the Tower shield as that covers pretty much your entire view - in third person, you can negate the shield covering your view completely.

This seems to be a matter of being in the heat of things and being able to judge distance and see animations best vs. seeing other players approaching you. Is this right? Is that what you are saying?..

1. I think that having a 1st person view is superior in 1v1 fights. I doubt that many people will disagree with me.
    2. I think that having a 1st person view with 1st person 3d sound may better than 3rd person view with basically 2d sound.

With 3d sound, you can hear exactly where people are coming from and how far they are from you (footsteps), and what attacks they are using on you.

Not many people use 3d sound, hence most people don’t care about the incredible advantage sounds can give you. They are, of course, wrong.
    I personally use the following set up - SB X-Fi Fatality sound card, Sennheiser HD598 headphones, CMSS3D technology on, 2.1 speakers on, 180 degrees speaker separation edit (up from maximum default 120 with a sound config file edit.) This allows me to hear nearly perfect 3d sound through my somewhat high end ($250 bucks) headphones (at the expense of 3d elevation, but making the sounds almost entirely natural.)

I don’t know if you’ve ever played competitive fps shooters in a competitive scene (cods, css, sof2), but the sound almost makes or breaks this game sometimes. You almost always are able to know about your surroundings while aiming for headshots. Except, there’s no sneaking in CMW,(since people can’t walk and make no sound) so it’s even better. And this game features full 3d surround sound, so 3d headphones might even be better from competitive standpoint.

• Except, there’s no sneaking in CMW

Well, it’s funny you bring that up, because during development, it was sort of unanimously agreed the Archer should have really quiet footsteps specifically for backstabbing people. It does make me laugh when I ‘sneak up’ on people (or Archers, really) with the Knight though, you can hear those footsteps from practically a mile away (slight exaggeration there).

And this game features full 3d surround sound, so 3d headphones might even be better from competitive standpoint.

I actually do use headphones with full surround sound, and I completely agree sound means a lot. I’m always listening out for footsteps so I’m not caught off guard when I’m walking or running in areas with lots of corners or stairs (hillside comes to mind here).

• The vast majority of players don’t use those fancy headphones. That’s a bit silly to balance the different view while assuming people who play 1st person will invest in a new sound card + new headphones (of the most expansive kind).

No offense to those who buy them, it’s a good investment if you are really into that, but chivalry didn’t come with a warning that says : ‘‘Buy X headphones if you don’t want to be disadvantaged in 1st person’’.

• The 2nd most annoying thing in this game is getting stabbed in the back. I play for fun, not to be some leet esport God.

• @ransack:

The 2nd most annoying thing in this game is getting stabbed in the back. I play for fun, not to be some leet esport God.

This is why official servers don’t lock it. So enjoy! And don’t worry, most back stabs will be your friendly LMB vanguards. :footy:

• There are advantages and disadvantages to either perspective, but it can’t exactly be “unfair” if either setting is available to everyone.

3rd person has the advantage of seeing more around you (providing your back isn’t against a wall, in which case you are totally blind) but 1st person is better for weapon accuracy.

I personally can happily play in either mode. I used to play mostly in 3rd person (just because it looks cooler) but I currently mainly play in 1st person. I do feel that locking perspective seems a bit unnecessarily elitist on a public server. :?