Feinting with the weapon constantly ready to strike

• I haven’t seen anything about this on the forums so I figured I’d post myself. At the very least I hope to get clarification as to whether it’s on my end or not.

What happens is the enemy feints an attack, like a normal, but instead of their weapon moving around like going from say, in the case of a sword, pointed upwards towards the sky, to pulled back for a stab, then going back to the sky, the weapon simply stays in the stab position. This makes it exceedingly difficult to reliably parry because the only window of opportunity you have is between the readying motion and the attack, which with weapons with a fast thrust (like the norse sword or sword of mars) is incredibly small. There seems to be a decent variance in the length of time this can be held for before an attack is made.

Now so far I can only recall seeing this from JackBaldy. I don’t know if he’s exploiting a bug, cheating, or just some coincidence. For all I know it could just be some obscure problem on my end. Is anyone else aware of this?

• There is a feint/stab exploit which makes the second stab faster than the first stab. So you are probably experiencing this exploit. Shara made a video about how to do it. So go watch it if you want to be l337. Or just hope the next patch fixes this problem. I for one, don’t ever use it.

• @Chuckdatass:

There is a feint/stab exploit which makes the second stab faster than the first stab. So you are probably experiencing this exploit. Shara made a video about how to do it. So go watch it if you want to be l337. Or just hope the next patch fixes this problem. I for one, don’t ever use it.

Nope. That’s different. I’ve seen what OP is describing before. What happens is, enemy’s weapon is kept ‘still’ at the stab windup position (absolutely no movement) and its held there.

I’ve seen this in pro duels. I think someone named Jack whatever did this.

EDIT: read OP’s post and he even listed his name. It was Jackbaldy yea. I noticed that Jackbaldy does three things:

1. He probably has really really high sensitivity, resulting in ‘skipping’ of his own character when he turns.

2. He is really good with the stab combo exploit. I’ve seen him do it 3 times in a row

3. He also does the stab holding thing that OP is describing.

• AFAIK he has macro hardware that allows him to set combos that far exceed anything you’d see from human input.

This is supported by the fact that I have NEVER in my now 170+hours ever seen ANYONE else do what he does or even come close.

Every single other player I have seen feint always has their animation reset, even quickly. His stays in the ready position.

• @MosesBringsPlenty:

I haven’t seen anything about this on the forums so I figured I’d post myself. At the very least I hope to get clarification as to whether it’s on my end or not.

What happens is the enemy feints an attack, like a normal, but instead of their weapon moving around like going from say, in the case of a sword, pointed upwards towards the sky, to pulled back for a stab, then going back to the sky, the weapon simply stays in the stab position. This makes it exceedingly difficult to reliably parry because the only window of opportunity you have is between the readying motion and the attack, which with weapons with a fast thrust (like the norse sword or sword of mars) is incredibly small. There seems to be a decent variance in the length of time this can be held for before an attack is made.

Now so far I can only recall seeing this from JackBaldy. I don’t know if he’s exploiting a bug, cheating, or just some coincidence. For all I know it could just be some obscure problem on my end. Is anyone else aware of this?

I have seen this, and it is reproducible, although to a small extent (spamming overhead feint on pole-axe will often produce it. However it should be noted that it will only stay in this ‘held attack’ state for a while, and it only appears to be held to the opponent. It is an animation bug. Held attacks are merely an animation bug that some people have discovered and have able been able to reproduce on demand. Held stab attacks with 1 handed swords are also pretty common.

Edit: Further testing found that repeating overhead feints on poleaxe with cancelling at the moment before the windup finishes can produce this bug. It was reproduced three times in a row, but was visible only to the defending player, and not the attacking player. Later attempts to perform the held attack failed and the animation bug became intermittent rather than readily producible. There may be a lag based component to performing this move, but it’s uncertain. Several of the held overheads produced in testing were witnessed by two separate observers on the server, despite the person performing the attack being unable to witness it.

An attempt to deliberately reproduce this bug on the overhead of the maul was also successful, based on the same overhead feint procedure. Attempts to deliberately perform the bug on other attacks have currently failed, although held stabs have been witnessed.

• @yedrellow:

@MosesBringsPlenty:

I haven’t seen anything about this on the forums so I figured I’d post myself. At the very least I hope to get clarification as to whether it’s on my end or not.

I have seen this, and it is reproducible, although to a small extent (spamming overhead feint on pole-axe will often produce it. However it should be noted that it will only stay in this ‘held attack’ state for a while, and it only appears to be held to the opponent. It is an animation bug. Held attacks are merely an animation bug that some people have discovered and have able been able to reproduce on demand. Held stab attacks with 1 handed swords are also pretty common.

Edit: Further testing found that repeating overhead feints on poleaxe with cancelling at the moment before the windup finishes can produce this bug. It was reproduced three times in a row, but was visible only to the defending player, and not the attacking player. Later attempts to perform the held attack failed and the animation bug became intermittent rather than readily producible. There may be a lag based component to performing this move, but it’s uncertain. Several of the held overheads produced in testing were witnessed by two separate observers on the server, despite the person performing the attack being unable to witness it.

An attempt to deliberately reproduce this bug on the overhead of the maul was also successful, based on the same overhead feint procedure. Attempts to deliberately perform the bug on other attacks have currently failed, although held stabs have been witnessed.

So how do you do it again? Do an overhead and feint at the last second?

How do you do held stab? feint at the last second of stab?