Gungame-Type Gamemode

• (General Preface)
    After doing a bit of forum searching, it looks like there are a few instances where this topic comes up, but I was unable to locate a thread dedicated to it. (If there happens to be one that I missed, please post the link!)

• The title speaks for itself, but for people who are a little unsure of what I mean, the following will explain what I am talking about.

(Explanation)
    In previous FPS games, there has been a common game type called gungame. There are a few different variations of the core gameplay, but most commonly used is the scenario where you begin with a genuinely weak weapon and then advancing to the stronger weapons as you go. At the tail end of the level spectrum is a really difficult weapon to kill someone with to finish off the round.

This game type has become undoubtedly successful in most games that it appears in and I think it would be perfectly appropriate for it to appear in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

(In-Depth)
    Keep in mind: This is NOT in development by me in any way. This is purely a suggestion for the community to build upon and should be treated as such.
    Without being incredibly tedious and over detailed, the following will be a brief list of features that this mode would include if it were to be considered:

» Level based weapon system: To advance to the next weapon in the list, it is required have a kill with the current weapon of your level. (Starting at level one, obviously) Some instances of the gamemode might have a parameter requiring the player to get two kills in order to advance to the next weapon.

» Weapons: It seems appropriate that most, if not all weapons included in the release of the game should be added to the list. The possible exception would be the flame pot due to its inability to devastate opponents. (But this could be a challenging asset to the gameplay much like grenades are in traditional gungames)

» Classes: Since everyone uses the same list of weapons, the class you choose will have no bearing on how effective you are on the battlefield.

» Teams vs. Free for All: There would be two overall modes of the game type: Team elimination and Gladiator style. The option could be toggled or voted upon to decide whether or not to have teams, or to have an all out grind for glory. However, even if there are teams, there still only rises one victor.

» Perks/Powerups: This feature can be completely customizabe, selective, and for the server to decide. Upon killing an enemy or two could result in your player gaining a slight edge against the others with a couple seconds of immunity, speed, or any other modification. These really alter the overall gameplay, which is why it is up to the server to be selective in which perks are added.

Any other suggestions from the community would be greatly appreciated and will be added to this original post for its possible consideration for an official release by the dev team.

• This seems like a pretty cool idea… but i like it better if it gets harder and you proceed to the next weapon instead of easier… that just makes more sense to me.

• From maul to dagger should set the difficulty hard for those who gets on the top.

• Make the last weapon a hunting knife.

• Obviously the last weapon will be gold-plated fists.

• Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes please

And a sharpswordsman mode, too.

• Why wouldn’t the last weapon be fists? (Golden like previously stated)
    Since all of the melee weapons are primary weapons (Instead of guns) there has to be an embarrassing kill at the end. (Like the knife in CS:S) Even with the knife, you can still block most strikes, but with fists it is much more difficult to block unless opposing a person with a knife or fists.

• @Izlude:

Why wouldn’t the last weapon be fists? (Golden like previously stated)
    Since all of the melee weapons are primary weapons (Instead of guns) there has to be an embarrassing kill at the end. (Like the knife in CS:S) Even with the knife, you can still block most strikes, but with fists it is much more difficult to block unless opposing a person with a knife or fists.

Agreed! Swordgame sounds like fun. With fists being the last kill! :king:

• Is there anything else you guys would want to add or change to the gameplay?

• Bad idea IMO as there really aren’t bad and good weapons. Weapons just exist. You use one, and play accordingly.

Yes, few of the weapons seem terribly bad (double axe) compared to others, but still.

What I would like to see though would be a mod, where you “level up” with kills - unlocking new perks and abilities that reset when you die.

• That’s a pretty interesting approach and lines up with what I am looking for. You are correct, most weapons are pretty balanced, regardless of the stats that each one apparently has. (Displayed with the meters with the weapons description)

Maybe before a mode like this should be put in place, the system that dictates the weapons should be reformed in the engine itself, not just the game type.

• gungame style is an interesting idea, i play many FPS games and have played gungame and many players enjoy it.

lol although a new name for such a mode would be needed for this game. “ultimate Warrior mode perhaps”

• @Artifex:

Bad idea IMO as there really aren’t bad and good weapons. Weapons just exist. You use one, and play accordingly.

Yes, few of the weapons seem terribly bad (double axe) compared to others, but still.

What I would like to see though would be a mod, where you “level up” with kills - unlocking new perks and abilities that reset when you die.

Gungames aren’t really completely progression based, usually. They’re more just a test of versatility and being able to use a wide variety of weapons well. It could progress Broad Dagger -> Falchion+Buckler -> Warbow -> Double Axe -> Cudgel -> Longsword+Tower Shield -> Short Spear -> Halberd, etc. etc.

The point of having the truly weak weapon (Knife in most games - Fists in Chivalry) as the last one is mainly to give other players a chance to catch up and making that last kill the most satisfying.

• Sounds good to me, except perks.
    I never liked the perk idea.

• Yeah I was a bit reluctant to add the perk idea, but I thought I’d put it in there as an option. It doesn’t have to be in there.

• i use to play gungames in dods or cs1.6 everyday! …. it might be hard to balance but i love the ideal ! +1

• Thank you guys, for the feedback!

• thanks for bringing it up, if for nothing else a mode like this could help get players using weapons they may not otherwise use. lets figure, free for all, you use the weapon your good with and get the satisfaction of winning, a gungame type mode, you are forced to use ALL the weapons “so many kills with each” to reach that “WINNER” status and since both teams have all the same weapons it is even.

I can see a server running this mode being filled 24/7 easily.

it would of course have to be based on free for all mode to avoid tk’s counting towards a new weapon.

• What does the development team think of this?