Customization

• I think it would be a lot more rewarding to play if there was more things to unlock and more things to customize. Like maybe customizing armor or getting new sets. Or unlocking perks you can use in combat. Maybe even making some form of in game currency that you can use to purchase things. I know the game needs a bit of work before adding new things but just some ideas.

• They already implemented helmet customization, but they have yet to actually add the helmets into the game for each class. I’m sure it’s a tedious job, so it will take time. I’m sure the helmets get unlocked depending on what rank you are… that’s my guess anyway.

• They have helmet customization for the ‘hat people’ who play this game and I think it should stay that way.

First of all they are a small team and this only requires resources which can be used better at other aspects of the game.
    I rather see more weapon types or other useful stuff in the game, than a different armour set I cannot even see. For example a bunch of cool new weapons (e.g. flails, picks, scythes etc.) and more maps/gamemodes (dungeon break?) are (I think) making the game much more fun than an armour with a cute teddybear on the shoulder.

Secondly, the good thing about how it is now is that you instantly see who is swinging at you. What’s his team, class and his weapon are instantly noticeable. Introduce a lot of different armour types and weird customization just makes the comfortable distinction rubbish.
    When armour sets have other stats (lighter armour for a knight for example) or there will be perks as OP mentioned, there is a high risk that classes will essentially disappear and there are not 4 distinct groups anymore (a knight with light armour perk is essentially the same as a vanguard aside from the main weapon). Also you cannot see perks on the exterior so you cannot anticipate them (which can be a good or a bad thing, depends who you ask).
    -I have to note that this is also dependent on how the customization is implemented-

Personally I have no idea why so much people want that much customization in a game, especially in a first-person game it doesn’t even matter.
    That you strive for unlocks to look forward to I understand (Although I personally want just everything unlocked and get better at a game), but I rather see new weapons and gametypes than character (cosmetic) customization or (invisible) perks

• @Nivve:

Secondly, the good thing about how it is now is that you instantly see who is swinging at you. What’s his team, class and his weapon are instantly noticeable.

Well, armors would still have blue or red schemes, knights would still wear plate armor, archers would still have bows and quivers. I don’t see problems there. Why do you need to know which class someones on? I look at the weapon and the armor and make a guess how my enemy is likely to behave.
    I can’t say I’m approaching every class differently. My fighting style is basically the same whether my opponent is a vanguard or a knight. The way he uses his weapons tells me how I should act.

Personally I have no idea why so much people want that much customization in a game, especially in a first-person game it doesn’t even matter.

Who said it’s a first person game? I’m playing it in 3rd person, and lots of others do. Also it’s a good thing so you know who your buddy is in a combat or which enemy to fear the most.

• It’s a very good point that what matters is what weapon the enemy is using, rather than what they look like. I think as long as teams are identifiable very clearly, armor can look very different than it does now without much of a problem. When you see a guy walking around with a spear you know it’s a vanguard no matter what helmet he’s got on.

@Nivve:

TF2 is also a first person game; it doesn’t even have a third-person option like Chivalry does (other than when you taunt, etc.), but look at how absurdly well they did with selling cosmetics. People like to be identified by their equipment moreso than they like seeing themselves in it, I think. It’s an “Oh shit, here comes that guy with the viking helmet and the double-axe again!” kind of thing.

• @SlyGoat:

I think. It’s an “Oh shit, here comes that guy with the viking helmet and the double-axe again!” kind of thing.

Exactly this!

• I do know there are people playing the game in third-person, I actually deleted the caption ‘although there are some people playing it in third person’, because I wanted to make my text clearer. But I think we can assume the majority plays in first-person and it’s designed around that perspective.
    Not that third-person users are not important, but I think than the focus can be laid more in first-person additions to the game.

The way it is implement is very important for what the consequences are. I do not mind small changes for customization’s sake, but you don’t recognize your friend by an extra band of slightly lighter blue over his shoulder; To have that you need more rigorous customization.
    It’s of course a very subjective area. Personally I think that it’s nice to have a few different classes you can instantly recognize, but some people might disagree and that’s fine. There is not much to argue for and against that. I like to see 4 different classes and not much inbetween, since that more feels like an army instead of some random people fighting other random people (although that’s mostly the case).

C:MW has hats and weapons, so I don’t see how the war-axe example would support have different armours. You can still have a giant fearful helmet with a war-axe with the current customization options.

Although TF2 indeed is only first-person, they have hats (no different costumes) and weapons,
    That’s what I like about TF2, you only have hats, so you can still differentiate easily between classes in a split-second, despite having a different hat on his head.

Just as a side-note; Yes I approach classes very differently. I use a dane-axe mainly. VG I have to close distance as quickly as possible and stay there. Knights mainly I keep my distance since they overestimate the reach of their weapons 90% of the time and then I close in. MAA is much more blocking, kicking trying to keep distance until he makes a mistake due to his short reach.
    As some people use first person and some use third person views, some people approach classes differently while some don’t.

I may have elaborated too much, sorry for the long text

• @Nivve:

I do know there are people playing the game in third-person, I actually deleted the caption ‘although there are some people playing it in third person’, because I wanted to make my text clearer. But I think we can assume the majority plays in first-person and it’s designed around that perspective.
    Not that third-person users are not important, but I think than the focus can be laid more in first-person additions to the game.

Well, it’s not my impression that the game works better in 1st person than 3rd. I suppose M&B veterans are more likely to prefer 3rd person. Anyways, it’s quite irrelevant for this discussion.

you don’t recognize your friend by an extra band of slightly lighter blue over his shoulder; To have that you need more rigorous customization.

That’s right.

It’s of course a very subjective area. Personally I think that it’s nice to have a few different classes you can instantly recognize, but some people might disagree and that’s fine.

Yea, I’d like to disagree :)

I don’t know what’s the point of having different classes, anyway. In M&B it was Archers, Infantry, Cavalry. That’s about it. Everything else was influenced by the weapons you chose.

Now in Chivalry you have different classes that have slightly different abilities, like the vanguard can do sprint attacks or the MAA can dodge while the knight can’t do s.hit ^^

I’m okay with these classes though I do not find them necessary. If you’re wearing a heavy armor, you’re slow, you can take more damage. If you’ve lighter armer you’re quicker and are more likely to do some special movements.
    That’s just a logical. I don’t need to know what ingame classes they have.

That having said, when we’re talking about customization, I’m thinking of different styles of armor for each class. A knight will always chose from a variety of plate armor or heavy leather+mail. He will always look chunky.

C:MW has hats and weapons, so I don’t see how the war-axe example would support have different armours. You can still have a giant fearful helmet with a war-axe with the current customization options.

Haven’t seen any hats in the game. Is “hats” a special term for something? I want to chose from a variety of helmets, and armor parts, maybe also banners.

I like to see 4 different classes and not much inbetween, since that more feels like an army instead of some random people fighting other random people

Well, we’re talking of medieval armies. They were indeed not uniformed and there were strictly speaking no classes (only like infantry, archers, cavalry). The armor was very individual.
    That’s something I love about medieval setting. You can be the one specific warrior you want to be. No need for everybody to look alike.

• He means helmets. There is a helmet customization menu, but currently it’s only used for those who pledged a certain amount on Kickstarter; they received an exclusive helmet for each faction based on the original Knight helmets from the mod Age of Chivalry. Veteran helmets are coming soon; unique for each class, unlocked by unlocking all of said class’s weapons. There will be more helmets in the future, too.

I’m really not adverse to the idea of further customization, such as different patterns on your shield (same color scheme though), or customizable emblems on your shield/armor. Even different armor pieces that wouldn’t obscure the model and color scheme might be cool. There’s a hell of a lot of different armor looks you could do and still make classes immediately recognizable; the guy with the really heavy armor is obviously a knight, the guy with light armor is obviously a Man-at-Arms. Unlike gun games you’re basically always close enough to recognize this fact.

The only problem with this in the short term is TBS doesn’t exactly employ tons of artists to generate lots of new assets for cosmetic purposes. Maybe they could do a trial run of some cosmetic DLC, and if it was successful enough they could hire more artists to release more content of both the paid and free variety.

• I indeed meant helmets, although there are none yet the system itself is present.

As long as the customization is done according to the scheme you guys suggest, changes while keeping the distinction obvious, I am all for it. As long as it will not interfere with new maps/weapons being made.
    If TBS know how to implement the system correctly (like SlyGoat’s example), I have not much objection against it.

Games are focusing so much on the customization that 9 out of 10 expansion packs/dlc (do expansion packs still exist?) is an extra hat or a different teddybear on the shoulder (of course, exaggeration). I am just worried that in a few months time there are 3 extra weapons and a huge load of different hats I do not care about.
    Especially considering that even reviews blame games for having too little customization nowadays (even totalbiscuit).
    Just to explain my worries about it 8-)

• @SlyGoat:

. Maybe they could do a trial run of some cosmetic DLC, and if it was successful enough they could hire more artists to release more content of both the paid and free variety.

If it actually worked out well I would love to see a full blown “helmet customization” in regards to actually taking a base helmet type, and customizing it with various appearance altering bits. Get a vanguard helmet, make it open faced, add team color highlight to the visor and reinforcement bar, slap a emblem on the side and bam, you got a way to really stand apart.

One of the biggest things that has torn me between this game and war of the roses is the lack of customization. I like to create an identity, not be one of 20 knight clones.

Though I don’t expect anything like this could be completed any time soon. Far too many pressing issues that take precedence.

• Whatever i just want my MAA to look like this A 14th/15th/16th century Spanish soldier/Conquistador/Rodelero

• @Rodelero:

Whatever i just want my MAA to look like this A 14th/15th/16th century Spanish soldier/Conquistador/Rodelero

Not really medieval anymore, more Rennaissance age. But I wouldn’t mind. Looks cool.

• No armor Customization. I would hate looking at players jumping around in a ugly customized armor and helmet. it would just ruin the theme and atmosphere of the medieval age.
    I do want something else to look at once in a while, so i think the best thing was if Torn Banner made perhaps 3 diffrent armors for each class, and 10 helmets for each class. This way the game would be kept clean and stylefull and no customizing scorehunters bringing the game down.
    just my opinion.

• @Waterhook:

No armor Customization. I would hate looking at players jumping around in a ugly customized armor and helmet.

Me neither. So… the models should be made to fit into the game.

• @Rodelero:

Whatever i just want my MAA to look like this A 14th/15th/16th century Spanish soldier/Conquistador/Rodelero

Yes.

I just would like to put my voice out to say I would enjoy more customization; both cosmetic and mechanical. I don’t profess to understand game design so I can’t begin to suggest which should come first due to difficulty etc…

Custom Decals; with only Primary(Blue/Red) and Secondary colors(Gold/Black); such that you could design it and your teams colors would fill in where needed.

Taking that to the next level; but not so crazy as customizing whole suits of armor; perhaps unlockable/purchasable skins or skin sets for the classes? Similar to how League of Legends makes you purchase alternate Champion skins.

Anything that effects game play should not be purchasable, though. Play to win.

Preliminary Skin Ideas (given about 15 min thought)
    Centurion(Kni), Zen Archer, Ninja (Maa), Berserk(Van or Kni), Samurai(Van), Spartan(Van or Kni), Gladiator(Maa), Jaguar(Maa or Van), Apache (Maa)

It could get a little silly; seeing all of these different eras running around together, though. But the possibility for clan unity would take it to 11.

• @Siegbert:

@Waterhook:

No armor Customization. I would hate looking at players jumping around in a ugly customized armor and helmet.

Don’t see any reason why you can’t have both. Period/theme accurate models and customization options could be pretty plentiful. Though if you’ve seen war of the roses, you can see how garrish some knights have historically been dressed.

• @Kriegson:

@Siegbert:

@Waterhook:

Don’t see any reason why you can’t have both. Period/theme accurate models and customization options could be pretty plentiful. Though if you’ve seen war of the roses, you can see how garrish some knights have historically been dressed.

Well, actually WotR took everything they saw in any book and put it in. Afaik crests on a helmet were used at tournaments or on coat of arms, but not in an actual battle. Some people mentioned that in their forums before alpha but apparently they didn’t care.

• I really think this game should be much more customizable for players…That would be awesome!
    The more options you have in a game,the better it is I believe…