Left To Right Swings + Overhead Swings On Two Handed Swords

• First I’d like to start off with the simpler idea. The overhead for the one handed weapons starts off in a somewhat left to right position. That gives you the ability to attack your enemy from both the left side (Slash attack) or the right side (Overhead).

With a two handed sword, however, your overhead comes from right to left. Same as the slashing attack. This leaves you with less options in how you can approach your enemy and which side you want to attack him.

So what I suggest is that instead of the overhead for two handed weapons/swords being a right to left strike, make it so that it’s a left to right strike. Then a player will have the capability of attacking his opponent from either side without having to do a combo.

My next suggestion is the slightly more complex idea. Add in left to right strikes across the board. They’re already there somewhat in the form of combo swings. For example, doing a slash strike (right to left) followed by another slash strike makes you do a left to right swing. The only one that really isn’t animated is the stab, which comes right to left on most weapons (Halberd or Poleaxe stabs being left to right).

One way to implement this rather easily is to make it be controlled by your left movement key or your right movement key. Essentially, you keep your same button combination. Keys still control whether you slash, overhead, or stab. However, you can modify those strikes with the left movement key or the right.

So if you’re moving forward-right (W+D), you would do a right to left slash if you pressed the left mouse button. If you were moving forward-left (W+A), you would do a left to right slash if you pressed the left mouse button. The deciding factor being the left or right movement keys.

Left Mouse Button (Slash By Default) + a (Left movement key by default) = Left to right slash
    Left Mouse Button + a + s = Left to right slash
    Left Mouse Button + a + w = Left to right slash

Left Mouse Button + d = Right to left slash
    Left Mouse Button + d + s = Right to left slash
    Left Mouse Button + d + w = Right to left slash

Etc…

Just my two cents. It’s rather late so hopefully I didn’t miss any important details, but if anything I’ll update the thread. o.o :Waves:

• seems like you thought this through…this seems like a kinda cool idea. able to swing from another starting point instead of JUST the right side.

• In regards to initiating a swing from the left: this is slated for testing at some point once there’s code support for it, last I heard.

Slightly off-topic: I think if Chivalry had 8-direction swings the entire combo system would be a hell of a lot more interesting. I don’t imagine it ever will, though.

• @SlyGoat:

In regards to initiating a swing from the left: this is slated for testing at some point once there’s code support for it, last I heard.

Slightly off-topic: I think if Chivalry had 8-direction swings the entire combo system would be a hell of a lot more interesting. I don’t imagine it ever will, though.

While not 8, but if left to right strikes were implemented on all our current attacks (Slash, Overhead, Stab), then we’d have 6 to play with. Still quite interesting.

• I really like this! It should be implemented or tested as soon as possible.

Not only does it add realism, but it adds more depth.

• @JackBaldy:

@SlyGoat:

In regards to initiating a swing from the left: this is slated for testing at some point once there’s code support for it, last I heard.

While not 8, but if left to right strikes were implemented on all our current attacks (Slash, Overhead, Stab), then we’d have 6 to play with. Still quite interesting.

Well, I wasn’t including stabs in the 8-way swinging; I was thinking NSWE directional slashes. Polearms already have the upwards strikes as the second attack in an overhead combo, for example. So you could do an attack from directly above by holding W+Attack, or from above and to the side with W+A/D+Attack, from below with S+Attack, etc. Or have it dependent on your mouse movement instead, or even an option for either method.

• I dunno. I think it seems like it would add more depth but I feel like it just adds more guessing and random luck than skilled competition. It’s hard for me to judge that without really seeing it in action. I’m not against this at all, but I’m weary about it. I really like how much thought you put into it though.

• @SlyGoat:

Well, I wasn’t including stabs in the 8-way swinging; I was thinking NSWE directional slashes. Polearms already have the upwards strikes as the second attack in an overhead combo, for example. So you could do an attack from directly above by holding W+Attack, or from above and to the side with W+A/D+Attack, from below with S+Attack, etc. Or have it dependent on your mouse movement instead, or even an option for either method.

That would be quite interesting, something more akin to the Jedi Knight series which had 7 direction attacks (Would be 8 if it weren’t for a lack of a stab). I’ve always liked the amount of control one had over one’s character in Jedi Knight.

The amount of swings plus the ability to fully alter and aim your swing gave you an immense amount of options when it came to creating angles and striking very precisely. And then you add stances into the mix and things got pretty wild.

Although that seems a little more out of reach, so I settled for suggesting a Chivalry + Jedi Knight sort of mix.

• I think the game’s in sore need of more angles/attack directions, especially with the feint cooldowns.

Attacks are just too predictable in a system where you have a one button universal block. Horizontal swings always come out from the right side. For two-handed swords even the overheads start up from the right side. Fighting around obstacles, walls, and standing in hallways limits attacks even further. As a result, top players rely on overheads and stabs.

The only way to hit a good shield user is through weird clipping issues, where your arm extends behind their shield, or by having a high ping, where you can use client-side hit detection to hit through blocks.
    Having an on-demand overhead left-right, and horizontal left-right would give players more opportunities to bypass the shield’s block rotation rate to get a hit through.

All the swing animations are already in place - all that’s needed is a simple input method (like directional modifiers). It seems like a huge waste not to make use of them, when allowing on-demand access to more swings would add so much more variety and versatility to the core combat.

• Modifying via directional keys is HELLA CLUNKY.

• I think you got your directions mixed up:

In Jedi Outcast, if you press attack while strafing right, your swing starts from the left and finishes on the right.

Also, Diagonal Up (W+A and W+D), were ovehead swings, the backward diagonals were diagonal uppercuts…

Stabs could be Crouch+Attack

And Mousewheel up and Down are no longer needed at all… could even consider changing them to parry high parry low and middle mouse for parry centre/… but that would be getting a bit complicated ;)

But yeah, I’ve been asking for this since day 1, I would love to be able to create a custom combo, and thats basically what made this combat system awesome.

• The game is no longer in beta. You cant overhaul the combat system like that ^

• Only left to right swing necessary. Allow players to use mouse to choose attack ala mount&blade. Best way so far.

• People think mount and blade have the best combat system only because they didn’t play other First person melee games :x

• @Salesgun4Hire:

People think mount and blade have the best combat system only because they didn’t play other First person melee games :x

Well M&B’s system is certainly more versatile than what CMW currently offers but M&B is still not even close to being ‘real’. :|

I think to capture the true feel and capabilities of using a sword, some game will have to be developed which would incorporate these two items. :)

With either a Wii or Kinect sensor incorporated with this: http://www.mblades.com/swing/index.html

• @Grüne_Ritter:

Well M&B’s system is certainly more versatile than what CMW currently offers

In general it is more versatile,being an RPG with a whole world and stuff like that…In terms of combat,it’s definitely not…
    But these are two different games(MMORPG-MMO).

• Please download Jedi Outcast or Academy, or at least watch some videos about the combat system, the combat system was awesome, combined with Chivalry’s blocking system and kicks it would be perfect!

It even had Vanguards Lunge attack.

A critical hit or back stab by pressing down+attack (But it would hit behind you, and you needed to line it up to some degree)

Diagonal strikes, Upward strikes, Sideways strikes, overhead strikes, uppercut strikes, and all could be controlled by pressing the WASD, Crouch and Mouse1 keys

• One additional type of swing would add exponentially more possibilities to combat. My idea is something like a pommel strike or bash, seperate from the kick. Maybe give it a high chance to interrupt, but not a guarantee. Sometimes you’ll get sliced in half for trying, sometimes it will save your life in a desperate situation. Think of it as the anti-feint.

• A random factor? That sounds seriously awful. Sometimes it’ll save you, sometimes it won’t so both parties get screwed instead of having it be determined by skill/player luck.

• The best combat style I have experienced,is the one in Dynasty Warriors 6…Only the defence needs some work in the whole series in general.The variety of moves and their impact is so awesome in this game(DW6) and generally all the series have a great combat system.It would be great if Tornbanner could just embed somehow some things from DW6 to C:MW without altering the game.

I love Dynasty Warriors,it is epic!!!