RaphaelDeFusco's Ideas & questions :)

• Hello there, i’ve been playing Age of Chivalery about the time it were started so i suppose i could give some creative idears to improvements for this upcomming game :)

Is it gonna be possible that there could be a weapon unlock system and a lvl system to get minor adventages, so that you get a great reward for spending time playing? ( Nothing to powerful though)

I would love to have some archer and crossbow unlocks, like maybe some toothed arrows / bolts to pentrate armor and flesh better, also i would like to see some sort of dealing dmg over time like a fire arrow or a poision arrow, that be a great support to support infantry so that they meight get that little adventage which can make it possible to take down a stronger target.

For ranged classes i would also love to see something like a hunting dog, so that the archer meight have a little fellow who can help him get a better shot or escape from the pure death of a powerful enemy.

I would like to see an Armor choosing system like you could choose if you wanted an leather armor which could make you lighter but make you more exposed, so that you try to balance your speed and armor after the tasks at hand.

It would be nice to see some pickup able items, like a pile of rocks which could be thrown at the enemy, that hurts badly to get a rock thrown at your face, and maybe a chair similar.

The healing system i think should pretty much be as in Age of Chivalery but maybe a slower healing progress, and then add a few places where you can eat some fruit or something to gain a small part of your health bar back quickly. But if you eat to many you throw up and get a ´disadventage of some sort like your ill.

If it could be possible to destroy shields slowly over time it would be cool and maybe the shield owner could get upgardes to get the shield to be more resistance like enforcing metal plates and maybe some sort of nails/spikes on the shield, so you could choose if you wanted to go offensive or defensive with the shield.

An enginner class would be nice since a common soldier unlikely knows how to repair a bridge and such, so it pretty much be a objective class to gain further progress, but the enginner should also be capable of deploying a balista that can be used.

A fear / morale system would be great and add realism and teamwork to the game.
    So if a guy stands with hes teammates they got a higher morale, when they lose a teammate they lose some of their morale which means their attacks and resistance would be decreased if your morale is high you have an increased amount of dmg and resistance ( maybe speed ) and your character would automatic say something positive and the same when your morale is low but its just minus instead of a plus adventage, then your character starts to say doubting things about if their gonna win and such, maybe you can hear your heart beating and you see a little blurry. Also a adralaline buttom would be cool, it could be activated once in every life or when a certain amount of time have passed, then you have an unlimited stamina and can keep running for as long as the adralaline is in use, however afterwards you should really be exhausted and be an easy target, so that the adralaline is also a gamble.

If theres gonna be a wave thing in the game where you fight npcs or something it would be sweet if you earned some sort of coins for the amount of effort you putted into killing the enemies, so that you can buy better quipment, also would be cool with a already created zombie mode instead of having to wait for players to create them themself.

That is pretty much my ideas so far, i hope you find them useful. :)

• 2 Extra Ideas.

Being capable of throwing your current weapon at the enemy and be capable of picking up dead peoples weapons if your class is strong enouge. And by strong enouge i imagine the game have something like a heavy knight has larger muscles so hes big motherf*cker of an axe shouldnt be lift able by a tiny guy.

• I am going to answer/comment on your questions/ideas in the order they came in…

There might be, but not more powerful weapons ( as that simply increases the percieved skill gap between new players and old timers. The devs don’t want to be like Call of Duty in that regard. I like their decision, as I got COD4 when MW2 was announced, and when I started playing, I couldn’t rewally do or learn anything because I died too quick from the upgraded weapons that everyone else had. I don’t want players subjected to that in thisgame, which is arguably harder to play.

I do like the idea of different types of arrows, though poison arrows weren’t commonly used enough, and fire arrows weren’t used at all, historically, to include them in this game. The devs might surprise me, but I would not like poison arrows included. They would end up looking almost the same as regular arrows, and it’s bad enough that good archers can hit you and you’ll never know from where, to add continuous damage on top of that would not be good.

There was a topic somewhere talking about the inclusion of war dogs (which would be the type here, hunting dogs would not be fit for battle). Here it is. Personally, I don’t like it, and would rather see player NPCs, as discussed here.

I beleive the armor choice is in the game, but I am unsure as to how it would affect gameplay, if it would at all.

Pick-ups and power-ups should stay out of the game. Ranged classes would already be able to pick up arrows and other thrown projectiles, so I see no point in having anybody pick up more. There was even a discussion about removing the ability to pick up thrown/fired projectiles. I do not see this as happening, as instead of bringing the player in, it would bring many players out. Picking up rocks and chairs is something you would see in a barfight, not a war. Using them as ammunition for catapults and trebuchets would work, though.

I think the healing system will be similar to Age of Chivalry, without apples. How does eating an apple heal a shash across the chest/ And why would a soldier be eating in the middle of battle? There is no logic in including this. If you were going to war, you would eat first, fight later or the other way around. Soldiers do not have time, energy, or desire to stop fighting to eat an apple, even if it magically cures them of all their wounds. They would end up getting killed by an arrow because they stopped.

There also was a discussion already on destroyable shields, located here. The general consensus shows that people might like to see arrows sticking out of their shields, possibly, but few want their shields destroyed. Personally, I don’t want to have my shield destroyed, especially when I am charging a group of archers. That would put me at a severe desadvantage, when I chose that class for the ability to beat archers. Don’t take away one of the game-balancing advantages that a player class is given. Half the time in medieval battle, the shield lasted longer than their bearer anyway.

Common soldiers do know how to repair bridges. They are the ones who set up camp, they are the ones who build the siege towers and ladder. In medieval war, most of an army was levied from the peasantry, and many of them were blacksmiths and carpenters, though most were farmers. Besides, the game is at four classes to simplify the class selection screens. Add in more classes would be detrimental to that goal.

This would be a far to complex a system for players to grasp. You don’t want a new player jumping into the game and thinking “Why is my character not doing as much damage? HAX! This game sucks, everyone is hacking.” Complex systems like this do not add to the gameplay, they take away. They add to the realism, but the players don’t want to be realistic. They want to pretend to be the hero. And a dero would not back down when all his men are dead. Look at Leonidas in 300, and that was a real battle. Not one retreated, the all stood firm, even with their soldiers decimated. No morale system.

This isn’t Call of Duty. I’ve stated this before. No zombie mode. And no coinage system. There’s no real point to it. You already unlock things by simply playing the game, there’s no point in making people pay in-game money for things that they could get for free. Just have it work like, well, the rest of the game. You play, and the more you play, the more you unlock, but nothing is really better than another. Honestly, I would like a wave game mode. Where you play as Agathans or Masons cooperatively to defend a location or castle from huge waves of the enemy army. Don’t think it will be included, but it would be a fun mode.

Knights didn’t have much bigger muscles than the average guy, really. A knight carries heavy armor, but soldiers push 3-ton siege towers and battering rams all day. A knight has a horse carry all his stuff, a soldier carries all his equipment on his shoulder. And most medieval weapons would rarely weigh more than 10-15 pounds, even for the huge double-bladed axe. I can lift that and swing it.

Anywho, no. There should not be any throwing of the player weapons. That would be a feature that never gets used. It doesn’t make you faster so you can get away, it doesn’t help defend you, you wouldn’t be doing much damage (a sword is only as good as the arm that swings it), and it takes away what would often be your only reliable means of doing damage. There is no point or tactical/strategic reasoning to do this. It is feature-creep.

As for picking weapons up, again, not much point to it. If they do, it would likely be a system like Battlefield: Bad Company or Call of Duty. You drop your current weapon to pick up the other. But I don’t think it’s worth it. Odds are, a player picked the weapon they have because they are familiar with the way it swings and works, and they like it over most of the other weapons available to him/her. Picking up a new weapon, especially if it’s not unlocked yet, means you don’t know what it’s advantages or disadvantages are. and it makes it far more difficult to learn. Again, it puts the player more at a disadvantage, so much so that it’d be a system that is rarely used.

Hopefully that clears up many of your questions/concerns. ;)

• I’m completely against the addition of stat changing effects/armors in the official game, however mod wise would be great fun I’m sure.

A form of Zombie-Mod would be cool made by developers…as it’s not a “CoD thing”… It’s definitely a concept used in expanding variety throughout any CG environment… However if made would need to be prioritized last before official game but of course this could probably be made by community with some effort ;p!

Moral System shouldn’t be incorporated it’s essentially an aura making up for a human emotion that can already be partially seen when in groups of how humans over extend or turtle up together in fear.

As for regen system I’d like to see same thing as AoC except without the ability to kill yourself (recycle) in a console / use of command. Or I’d like to see a system that limits healing to a certain point for example if you are slashed to 25% you can only recover back up to 50% or if slashed to 51% you can recover back to 75%. So essentially a nerfed unexploited AoC regen system.

• Thanks for your replys, though in my own opinion i would rather see your character actually have the morale system, becouse i’ve seen how it worked out in Red Orcherstra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.
    And i love how its done, but anyway thats just my opinion. Thanks for the replys :)

• @RaphaelDeFusco:

Thanks for your replys, though in my own opinion i would rather see your character actually have the morale system, becouse i’ve seen how it worked out in Red Orcherstra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.
    And i love how its done, but anyway thats just my opinion. Thanks for the replys :)

There’s no morale system in that game though, when you’re getting shot at you’ll get suppresed, and when people die around you or you shoot people your character will say a few lines, but there’s no morale system like what you described.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

Hello there, i’ve been playing Age of Chivalery about the time it were started so i suppose i could give some creative idears to improvements for this upcomming game :)

@RaphaelDeFusco:

Is it gonna be possible that there could be a weapon unlock system and a lvl system to get minor adventages, so that you get a great reward for spending time playing? ( Nothing to powerful though)

The devs have said there are going to be zero unlock able items, and said maybe on things.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

I would love to have some archer and crossbow unlocks, like maybe some toothed arrows / bolts to pentrate armor and flesh better, also i would like to see some sort of dealing dmg over time like a fire arrow or a poision arrow, that be a great support to support infantry so that they meight get that little adventage which can make it possible to take down a stronger target.

There’s a whole thread on support items, unlocks have been noed, i don’t think i saw any of these suggestions in it, I think it would be an interesting idea to add little things to different types of arrows.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

For ranged classes i would also love to see something like a hunting dog, so that the archer meight have a little fellow who can help him get a better shot or escape from the pure death of a powerful enemy.

The archer doesn’t need a hunting dog to help you, since you wouldn’t see one on the battlefield and they’re the second fastest class in the game as well as a ranged class.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

I would like to see an Armor choosing system like you could choose if you wanted an leather armor which could make you lighter but make you more exposed, so that you try to balance your speed and armor after the tasks at hand.

The game is going to be a class based system where you choose a class with set stats.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

It would be nice to see some pickup able items, like a pile of rocks which could be thrown at the enemy, that hurts badly to get a rock thrown at your face, and maybe a chair similar.

I don’t think i’ve seen this touched on at all, but it feels like it would disrupt the flow of combat if you were to just stop and pick up a stone to throw at someone… why not just hit them with your sword?

@RaphaelDeFusco:

The healing system i think should pretty much be as in Age of Chivalery but maybe a slower healing progress, and then add a few places where you can eat some fruit or something to gain a small part of your health bar back quickly. But if you eat to many you throw up and get a ´disadventage of some sort like your ill.

I do believe that the health regen system is being tweaked slightly but being kept mostly the same, i think i saw something aroudn these forums about having more healing stations around like in the map siege.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

If it could be possible to destroy shields slowly over time it would be cool and maybe the shield owner could get upgardes to get the shield to be more resistance like enforcing metal plates and maybe some sort of nails/spikes on the shield, so you could choose if you wanted to go offensive or defensive with the shield.

Shields will not be destroyable as the combat system will be based on stamina as well as ways to get around shield whores.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

An enginner class would be nice since a common soldier unlikely knows how to repair a bridge and such, so it pretty much be a objective class to gain further progress, but the enginner should also be capable of deploying a balista that can be used.

There are only going to be 4 classes on release, engineer is not one of them.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

A fear / morale system would be great and add realism and teamwork to the game.
    So if a guy stands with hes teammates they got a higher morale, when they lose a teammate they lose some of their morale which means their attacks and resistance would be decreased if your morale is high you have an increased amount of dmg and resistance ( maybe speed ) and your character would automatic say something positive and the same when your morale is low but its just minus instead of a plus adventage, then your character starts to say doubting things about if their gonna win and such, maybe you can hear your heart beating and you see a little blurry. Also a adralaline buttom would be cool, it could be activated once in every life or when a certain amount of time have passed, then you have an unlimited stamina and can keep running for as long as the adralaline is in use, however afterwards you should really be exhausted and be an easy target, so that the adralaline is also a gamble.

Been discussed thoroughly in the support items thread and i’m pretty sure people have said it’s generally a bad way to bring a team together.

@RaphaelDeFusco:

If theres gonna be a wave thing in the game where you fight npcs or something it would be sweet if you earned some sort of coins for the amount of effort you putted into killing the enemies, so that you can buy better quipment, also would be cool with a already created zombie mode instead of having to wait for players to create them themself.

There are going to be NPCs you can fight in a tutorial and bots on servers obv, i don’t believe they’re going to add any type od currency system into the game. Everyone wants zombies.

• @RaphaelDeFusco:

your character would automatic say something positive and the same when your morale is low but its just minus instead of a plus advantage, then your character starts to say doubting things about if their gonna win and such.

That is the only suggestion i like, little hints onto your surroundings and how many men are near, well not how many men but what team has more in the area.