Combos, the new difinition of Spam!

• Well if you played Age of Chivalry (AOC) for any length of time, prior to Chivalry (CHIV), one of the biggest issues with the game was spamming the L click button, over and over again requiring little skill, creating lots of team kills and generally pissing everyone one off. You would think that the devs would have learned the lessons of bitter annoyance and hatred for all spammers regardless of class.

But hey Chiv comes out and low and behold, Spam is not only glorified but rewarded and renamed Combo! The only real difference is that you can mix up your spam attacks instead of the same attack, over and over again. Now it is swing spam, swing spam, swing spam. Then if you are really clever you can string along combo/spam one right after another. If you have a programmable keyboard or other gaming device you can set up exact macro combo sequences to annoy and tk all you like! There seems to be some stamina drain but not enough to ever stop some classes for laying out fields of dead bodies of spam, cough cough, I mean death from, cough cough, skilled combo attacks. Now if you add in some of the “bouncing” / spam stab glitching, you have one hell of an annoying time if you are actually trying to set up feints, blocks and attacks.

I guess I just don’t find the combo without real penalty strategy all that fun or exciting or even entertaining yet the whole combat system seems based on who can out spam the other guy first. If you do actually get in a good block or parry, the blowback has reset your screen (in my case the crosshairs get blown down) so that by the time you can attack you are either out of range, have to reacquire your target from a weird blown angle or are hit again by the continued onslaught of spam swings.

This is even more compounded if you are hit from behind and you try and block, parry or attack but sadly once you commit to one of the three and try to turn around, your turning speed is greatly reduced no matter how high you have your mouse settings and you fall victim of behind the back spam. Again the joys of getting spammed from behind is joyous to behold and without the courtesy of a reach around.

So lets be honest and quit calling in combinations and cal it what it really is…. SPAM!

• I don’t agree with you but did find a linux site some were showing how to make scripts for attacks?
    does a block not interupt the series of attacks? a block and a shove sometimes works for me.
    although often I come across man at arms just constantly stabbing at me with fast movement shuffle?
    This is the only medieval times type game I have played and in my books its very good.

• I think that the combo / combination system is a great thing that happend to chivalry because of the fact that it makes the fight much more intense rather than just one swing based fighting, it allows each invidual player to learn and use their own style to perfom quite decent comboes. I don’t agree with you that the combo system doesn’t require skills, its not like you CAN perform them against anyone, some will block it instantly and some may fall for it, Also by trying to perfom a combination attack, it puts you at a great risk where you might get a rapid combo breaker from your opponent, depending on what kind of weapon you or your opponent is using.

• one of the problems that compound what you’re complaining about are the slashes being extremely “meaty” and really wide with the same amount of damage at the beginning and at the end of the swing

also the secret of turning with the mouse is to move at a set speed carefully- you can COMPLETELY bypass the turn restriction by moving at a certain speed, giving you enough turning to do a 180 turn as you swing- this gives swings the “lightsaber” capabilities such as stabs hitting after the attack has pierced. pvk2 has something similar but the damage is dealt in packets, so if you were to swing around the opponent will take reduced damage.
    people who don’t know this are at a complete disadvantage (and it’s pretty dumb, either loosen the slack or tighten it) I would imagine however, if the speed was slackened all the m1 spammers would be able to spin around like crazy people and slash everything so I guess loosening the speed would be bad.

even with the small turning the slashes are wide enough so that you really cannot dodge them as you would expect and of course those wide swings cause hits from when the opponent is facing you from the back

it’s not particularly the combo system at fault, the slashes are overly effective and due to the UT3 engine even if you try and run behind them for a dodge you’ll still get hit because of the wide slashing, even with the limited turning

• Don’t agree at all because… block?

When you’re able to grasp the timings of combos and each swing in them, they can be easily punished. It’s very easy for big 2H weapons, a bit more difficult for faster 1H weapons. They can also be punished with longer reaching or ranged weaponry.

That said, the animation bug makes it pretty difficult sometimes.

• As was said earlier, you shouldn’t expect fights to be like a chess game (my turn, your turn), so the combo system is a good invention, especially the ability to add different types of attacks to your combo, since the horizontal combo is realy taking a whole lot of room to get going without hurting your own team. Also: “use block to prevent enemy from killing you”. ^^

• Yawn just make combos use more stamina.

• while ya, anyone can swing and swing and swing, you can also block repeatedly, then they run out of spam “stam” and you take them out. Wheres the problem ?

I agree with tamashi, the my turn your turn line of thinking is stupid, boring and totally unrealistic.

I find the combo system great, and something that sepperates Chivalry from the far outdated Age of Chivalry which is also inferior in comparison by far.

If you wish to talk about things that pissed people off in AOC lets talk about the crap source engine with its disgusting hit boxes that allowed classes like the hk to hit you from a mile away while you were backing up “source engine hitboxes trail in front while you back up and trail behind when you move forward, when you move left they go right and when you move right hitboxes trail left, the only time source engine hitboxes are ever aligned properly with your charactor model is when your NOT moving” Utterly stupid but a fact. We cant blame the devs for this as they simply were limited to the crapper that was the source engine but they were smart enough to abandon that .

• If you you’re getting spammed and die, you are to blame. Spammers are like kids with ADHD, they won’t pay attention to your stab while rising their weapon. No reason for a rant. Everytime I get killed by a lmb spammer, I blame myself for beeing so foolish.

• Getting rid of combos wont stop LMB spam.
    They aren’t doing it because it combos together nicely, it’s just the easiest thing to do, run at someone and click click click. An extra half a second between each attack wont matter.

• I’m not going to pull out my jackie chan moves if you are stupid enough to stand there while I cut at you repeatedly.

• I’m guessing op plays MaA and stays to close to the vanguards / knights.

• @gslashg:

I’m guessing op plays MaA and stays to close to the vanguards / knights.

If you were MAA, you would want to be close…

Anyways, if you block you interrupt the combo rendering it useless, and it is surprisingly easy to get around people if you keep moving. if you move strafe right or left, a lot of the times you can score a hit on someone because they didn’t block your weapon. I learned this after doing quite a bit of dueling.

• because in medieval times, people never used combo….

gtfo. this is medieval warfare, ofcoarse the sword can be swung in combos. want that removed, go home

• @fwbo777:

because in medieval times, people never used combo….

gtfo. this is medieval warfare, ofcoarse the sword can be swung in combos. want that removed, go home

@xUncleOwenx:

No one is suggesting to get rid of combos but it really is glorified spamming. lets be honest. But a 3 swing combo should take up more stam. This seems to be the biggest problem of the game thus far is the real lack of stam management and what uses it.

@gslashg:

I’m guessing op plays MaA and stays to close to the vanguards / knights.

If you were MAA, you would want to be close…

Anyways, if you block you interrupt the combo rendering it useless, and it is surprisingly easy to get around people if you keep moving. if you move strafe right or left, a lot of the times you can score a hit on someone because they didn’t block your weapon. I learned this after doing quite a bit of dueling.

Here is the problem, First off no one is standing still while they are getting spammed. Many of you have missed the point. If you get hit with the first attack or even block, the blow back in many cases pushes you back far enough and changes your POV (in my experience it forces my view down where I am looking at their feet) that here is little time to reacquire the target or distance to react with another block, stab or attack before you are hit with another spam session. I will say that it seems far more difficult to side step attacks than in AOC. It is not impossible but really difficult with the current speeds for strafing. In addition to this, some what off topic, it seems really difficult to dodge and confuse archers or any projectile with zig zag strafe maneuvers. Yes I know this isn’t AOC but it seems they have not implemented or rejected many of the successful things about AOC and chosen to enhance somethings that many people still find very annoying. So far I find both these issues to be extremely annoying when you are caught in the middle of a spam and you end up blocking or parrying till you are dead. This is specially true with the shorter faster weapons, spam spam spam dead. Meanwhile you are trying to increase the distance, kicking, blocking or even attacking to no avail. While some of you may have found success(probably playing heavy classes that can absorb the damage) at concurring this most others have not found that magic bullet technique if there even is one.

Combos are still glorified spamming now matter how you define it. But I should cost more stam than it currently does across all weapons specially the fast short ones. This would actually encourage more accuracy, more stam management, far less TKing and overall more enjoyment.

• i agree stamina loss system needs to be enlarged, however, i must disagree about archers, although it may not be as easy to zig zag one as it was in aoc “this is do to source hitboxes being junk, archers are far more accurate now” it still is possible. Are archers annoying = yes “as they should be” but whats the answer = server side limitation of classes.

• @dirtyjob:

i agree stamina loss system needs to be enlarged, however, i must disagree about archers, although it may not be as easy to zig zag one as it was in aoc “this is do to source hitboxes being junk, archers are far more accurate now” it still is possible But not likely. Are archers annoying = yes “as they should be” but whats the answer = server side limitation of classes.

The solution is to nerf their melee abilities making it such that if you actually get up close because they missed, they should be punished and you are rewarded with a fairly easy kill precisely because they are far more accurate now. This has several effects in making archers even more deadly accurate now that they are being buffed with the arrow speeds in the new patch. It forces them into their support ranged role where they belong. Not a strong melee class which they currently are with the ability to block the heaviest of weapons, taking no damage and then have the ability to spam kill. It is not fair that they can kill you at distance and then have great killing ability in melee. It should be one or the other not both.

• I still don’t believe that “archers are a strong melee class”. They can melee, yes, but all other classes have weapons that are better than the light sword or dagger. If you get beaten by an archer in melee, in most cases, you were simply out played.

Also don’t agree with OP, only time I’ve had issues with LMB-mashers is the occasional animation glitch which causes me to misread their swing direction.

• @Carsha:

I still don’t believe that “archers are a strong melee class”. They can melee, yes, but all other classes have weapons that are better than the light sword or dagger. If you get beaten by an archer in melee, in most cases, you were simply out played.

Also don’t agree with OP, only time I’ve had issues with LMB-mashers is the occasional animation glitch which causes me to misread their swing direction.

Currently it only takes 2 stabs from an archer to kill a Vanguard and 3-4 to kill the other classes. Again, the archer can infinity parry any weapon and take no damage. Sorry but they already have advantage of range and with the new patch coming out, they are getting a huge range buff. They should never be able to parry a heavy weapon with a butter knife. I have an idea, lets meet up, me with baseball bat and you with a chefs knife and you try and parry my swings and take no damage…… yeah, didn’t think so. See how silly that is?

• @Retsnom:

@Carsha:

I still don’t believe that “archers are a strong melee class”. They can melee, yes, but all other classes have weapons that are better than the light sword or dagger. If you get beaten by an archer in melee, in most cases, you were simply out played.

Currently it only takes 2 stabs from an archer to kill a Vanguard and 3-4 to kill the other classes. Again, the archer can infinity parry any weapon and take no damage. Sorry but they already have advantage of range and with the new patch coming out, they are getting a huge range buff. They should never be able to parry a heavy weapon with a butter knife. I have an idea, lets meet up, me with baseball bat and you with a chefs knife and you try and parry my swings and take no damage…… yeah, didn’t think so. See how silly that is?

2 stabs for vanguards? probably 2 BACKstabs. Don’t get backstabbed in 1v1. Makes you look like a noob :3
    I know very good melee players who never experienced any trouble with archers in melee and I myself as an archer only happen to outplay way weaker players. To do so I have to play perfectly, which means: Never fall for a feint, never fail to block even if they’re clever enough to draw their small fast weapons, NEVER get hit as a hell lot of weapons oneshot you to the face and some even to the legs, keeping this up until i delivered 3-5 hits.
    If this happens you, it’s your own fault.