Respawn timer reset by changing class intended?

• subject = question

As in many other games I enjoy frequently changing my class or weapons for a varying experience. It might not be very efficient, but high, it is fun!

So, is it intended to give those changing the class after dying and before respawning a penalty? I don’t know if I remember correctly, but if you fail to choose before the timer reaches 0, it vanishes and seems to reset so you can only guess when you will be thrown into battle again.

Cheers, Manni

• This is rather annoying.

The respawn mechanic spawns in waves, meaning if you miss the respawn, you have to wait until the next one. I’m not sure if this is intentional or not. It makes some sense from a balance standpoint, and you have a much higher chance for success if a lot of your team spawns together instead of sporadically, one at a time.

Still, it would be nice for people who have already waited a full cycle to spawn in whenever, after they’re finished messing around with their loadout and class.

• In many of the maps there are invisible areas designated as respawn areas, where all players can change class at any time.
    and yes…. you read that correctly - all players can change class in these designated respawn areas; your team AND your opponents.

If class changing were bindable (maybe it is, I’ve not investigated this), you could camp in your opponents spawn area slaughtering them the instant they spawn and then switching class if you ever take damage.
    You get your ammo refilled too, so a MaA could repeatedly throw fire grenades to flood the entire spawn area with fire. I believe fire damage stacks too, so if you stack enough AoE fire effects you’ll start insta-killing the opponents the second they spawn.

The respawn/class switching mechanics (as with many other aspects of the game) are clearly incomplete & need serious attention.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

In many of the maps there are invisible areas designated as respawn areas, where all players can change class at any time.
    and yes…. you read that correctly - all players can change class in these designated respawn areas; your team AND your opponents.

If class changing were bindable (maybe it is, I’ve not investigated this), you could camp in your opponents spawn area slaughtering them the instant they spawn and then switching class if you ever take damage.
    You get your ammo refilled too, so a MaA could repeatedly throw fire grenades to flood the entire spawn area with fire. I believe fire damage stacks too, so if you stack enough AoE fire effects you’ll start insta-killing the opponents the second they spawn.

The respawn/class switching mechanics (as with many other aspects of the game) are clearly incomplete & need serious attention.

That’s why respawn areas are made to not let the enemy team get in them. Except for few respawns.

• @tamashi:

That’s why respawn areas are made to not let the enemy team get in them. Except for few respawns.

That’s an unfortunate assumption given the minimal amount of effort required to reach the opposing team’s spawn areas on many of the maps.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

@tamashi:

That’s an unfortunate assumption given the minimal amount of effort required to reach the opposing team’s spawn areas on many of the maps.

Technicaly you can’t go in the enemy spawn, all you can do is wait until they leave it and then kill them.

• What’s meant to happen is that as long as you have the class select menu open, your spawn is paused until you select your class, rather than what it does currently where it skips your spawn wave if you’re still selecting your class.

• @SlyGoat:

What’s meant to happen is that as long as you have the class select menu open, your spawn is paused until you select your class, rather than what it does currently where it skips your spawn wave if you’re still selecting your class.

It even skips the spawnwave you’re in when you close the classselection. Like you have 9 secs left when you finish and it still skips it. Also it often makes the respawntimes itself disappear for me.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

…You get your ammo refilled too, so a MaA could repeatedly throw fire grenades to flood the entire spawn area with fire. I believe fire damage stacks too, so if you stack enough AoE fire effects you’ll start insta-killing the opponents the second they spawn…

Fire only damages you if you are in its area when it explodes, otherwise you can run through it and not get hurt (the only exception is on arena where the fire shooters are).