Hard copy of Chivalry

• Hey guys, Im new here (Pretty obvious :P) & I was wondering if hard copies of the game will be sold or if it will be only online?

Im a guy that CANT pay for stuff online, Only way I got my hand son Age Of Chivalry is coz I bought Portal 2 for PS3 & It gave me a code to activate it on Steam…
    So I got my source engine & Started downloading a load of mods, And my fav is Age Of Chivalry :D

So yeah, I cant pay for stuff online but I really would like to get this game when it comes out.
    (Its not that I dont have the money, Its just that Im unable to do online payments, My parents dont trust it, Id pay $60 for it if I lived next to the devs :P)

So thats my question, Will there be alternative ways to get the game?

Offtopic:

Also, Id like to be in the Alpha (Who doesnt? Lol)
    Im a fairly new player of Age Of Chivalry (Only been playing like 2/3 months) so I guess I could give some “Noob-Advice”
    Just a thought :3

• I also asked this question once, the developers said that it was too early in the development of the game to be sure what the medium for the game will be.

• This day and age I can guarantee you that it won’t have or need a physical medium.

• I highly debate that. Every game NEEDS a hard copy. I will take hard copies of a game. I bought a copy of Counter Strike: Source, and spent $35 for two reasons: One, to have a boxed copy of CSS, and two, for Day of Defeat: Source. I would hatehr have a dozen boxed copies of average games than two amazing digital download games.

Boxed copies will never be obsolete.

• The first “AAA” game I worked on didn’t have boxed version. It was sold on Steam, the Xbox Marketplace, and PSN…

Yes, I really wanted a boxed version for a keepsake, but in reality I hate clutter, so whatever.

I see boxes going away for good by the end of the decade.

• Hey, just a question as to WHY you cannot purchase games online.

It’s most likely something to do with a credit or debit card.

You probably don’t know this: You can purchase a prepaid visa debit card of a varying amount of money($50, $100, $150 etc) from various places, here in Aus it’s the post office. Then you can use that prepaid visa debit card to buy games online, just like using a full on credit card, with none of the risk.

• We have that prepaid visa debit card here in the U.S. as well, not sure where you buy it from i think its might be the post office like over there in Australia, but most likely it would be in a supermarket store like Publix, Winndixie, or Safeway.

There is still a need for boxed versions of games, and there is a good reason for it. Even if you’re not interested in the value of having a hard copy game, its better because the content is already in the disk, no need for download, just install. Computers with slow download speeds, boxed versions of the game is ideal because it will take a long both to download and to install; if you buy a hard copy, it cuts down the time by more than half, since downloading takes two or three times longer than install.

Here is an Example for Creative Assemblies “Empire: Total War,” it would have taken about the hole day to download the digital version PLUS the extra hour for installation. However, since I bought the boxed copy of the game, it took only one hour to install the game, as opposed to waiting the whole day to play it.

This could probably be the case with Chivalry: Medieval Warfare although it probably be a shorter time because i’m sure it won’t be as demanding as the new Total War games out there.

• I don’t see why the need is for a hard copy… You download it sooner but in reality you don’t need to download and play it immediately… Infact the only two times you would install it is on initial release which can easily wait and when you reformat OS in that case you should be installing A LOT more than just chivalry.

Ya it may look cooler and what-not to have a hardcopy but it’s not as realible and is indefinetly less of a hassle.

But to chug an idea out there is to release an early online download that would may be locked until release date or something around that. Then you get passed the initial download and you’ll install just as fast as a hard copy.

• @Fluffykins:

I don’t see why the need is for a hard copy… You download it sooner but in reality you don’t need to download and play it immediately… Infact the only two times you would install it is on initial release which can easily wait and when you reformat OS in that case you should be installing A LOT more than just chivalry.

Ya it may look cooler and what-not to have a hardcopy but it’s not as realible and is indefinetly less of a hassle.

But to chug an idea out there is to release an early online download that would may be locked until release date or something around that. Then you get passed the initial download and you’ll install just as fast as a hard copy.

It’s going to be released on Steam so it’ll be available on your account forever. A hard copy in my opinion (as you mentioned) is not that reliable and I don’t see it being worth it unless there’s a lot of artwork included which makes the buy a bonus.

If a hard copy was released with artwork etc included, I’d buy it. Other then that, I honestly wouldn’t. I don’t even have a DVD drive installed on this computer because nearly all of my games are downloadable or Steam based.

• Ya, I mean the only game that I thought I would buy in sake of a hardcopy was the skyrim collectors edition basically because of the art book to me felt kind of like a Roger Dean type of enigma of beauty ;P

But even then that game was 1 of millions that I would buy in hardcopy recognition other than that I found all these boxes a hassle and clutter…

Anyways if Chivalry released a hardcopy with art I would be missing the organic gameplay part that delves only in experience of the digital world :P

• I hope there is a hard-copy. If not, I hope I could at least buy an activation code from a local game store. I don’t like buying things online.

• @Shasow:

I hope there is a hard-copy. If not, I hope I could at least buy an activation code from a local game store. I don’t like buying things online.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1260#p9065

• @kaffein:

@Shasow:

I hope there is a hard-copy. If not, I hope I could at least buy an activation code from a local game store. I don’t like buying things online.

Oh, I know. But, still… it’s much easier for me to buy the game from a store.

• @Shasow:

@kaffein:

@Shasow:

Oh, I know. But, still… it’s much easier for me to buy the game from a store.

But you’d have to go… Outside! :o

• I would hope CMW will be sold on Steam. My Skyrim CD was giving me problems and didn’t phase me, just downloaded.

• I would only want a hard copy if it was hand delivered by Tibbs to my front door. Also, he’d be dressed up like a Mason footman. Maybe carrying one of those long, meaty mason halberds…

Yes, I want your hard copy, bad.

• How about a hard copy would be available in the online store of this game? That’s a win for two sides, people who like buying online would still buy it online and people who like having hard copy would get the hard copy. The only problem is, its still an online payment but by buying something tangible i see more options for payments like cash, cashier check, and money order which are payment methods that i trust a lot more than digital buying.

• @Iron-Sentinel:

How about a hard copy would be available in the online store of this game? That’s a win for two sides, people who like buying online would still buy it online and people who like having hard copy would get the hard copy. The only problem is, its still an online payment but by buying something tangible i see more options for payments like cash, cashier check, and money order which are payment methods that i trust a lot more than digital buying.

That would not be a win for both sides. I want the hard-copy because I don’t want to buy online.

• Yeah… your right, i want to buy in the stores too, just that some people like hard copy no matter how they get it.