Patch 1 Changelist [ETA: 11/22/2012]

• @Saraski:

Expected More in the balance section tbh…

Shortbows - no point in them

Heavy Xbow - Still no change.

Slash damage increase on norse sword? Enough slash spammers as it is… might as well just remove the rest if you’re ganna keep upping it…

Bad balance changes imo, Really need more testers for your archery :/

The issue with Norse sword was the ridiculous stab damage given it’s speed and feinting potential.

• @TobiwanK3nobi:

I really don’t understand the norse sword changes. It’s turning into a shorter, weaker broadsword.

•The thrust will now be the exactly the same as broadsword, just shorter range.
    •The slash and overhands are still less damaging than broadsword, but shorter range. The only advantage of these 2 attacks on the norse is that their windups are slightly faster than the broadsword, but this is offset by the broadsword having slightly faster swings.

With these stats, the weapon no longer has a unique role. It’s no longer the best thrusting one-hander, and it is outperformed on slashes and overhands by nearly every other one-hander.

My plea:
    •Make the thrust do 60 pierce damage.

The thrust should 2-hit vanguards when one hit is to the head. As a 55 damage thrust, you can’t do this - (body = 44) + (head = 55) = 99. This is out of balance with other one-handers. Many other one-handers can two hit a vanguard with one head-hit; Falchion, Dane Axe, War Axe, Flanged Mace, Morning Star, Holy Water, even the Hatchet! Some of these even do it with better range(Dane, Star), and some with better speed(Holy, Hatchet). The only one-handers that can’t do this(with ANY attack combination) are the Broadsword and the Norse Sword.

Alternatively, if the thrust must remain at 55 damage, at least don’t slow down the windup speed! One or the other, I beg, or the Norse will lose its role! Hell, at 55 damage it can’t even 2-body-thrust a Man-at-Arms, and only just barely manages it on an archer!

I agree with you completely. The Norse sword is overpowered in it’s current state, but the nerf here is too harsh. What your suggesting now will put it on par with the rest of the arsenal.

On a different note I’m really looking forward to how the speed change will affect the Heavy Crossbow. Hope the extra speed might give it some more uses over the default one other than one-shotting MaA in the chest.

• I’d have to say I am happy for this patch, but not satisfied. I feel like I am left wanting more!

Haha keep up the good work TBS!

• Any word on when the patch will officially be released? It sounds so awesome, I just can’t wait…

• @UnknownXV:

Any word on when the patch will officially be released? It sounds so awesome, I just can’t wait…

So don’t!
    Download the beta patch and play on the torn banner test server! (or fire up your own server)

• @TehJumpingJawa:

@UnknownXV:

Any word on when the patch will officially be released? It sounds so awesome, I just can’t wait…

So don’t!
    Download the beta patch and play on the torn banner test server! (or fire up your own server)

I’m from europe so this might be a bad idea. However if one is “fireing up his own server” somewhere around please post it here ^^ would be awesome

• @Escadin:

@Dr.Nick:

The bolt speed only helps to hit things at very long distances. The same problems that were there before are still there.

All bows reload significally slower, which is a buff to crossbows if you’d compare them. I want to see the new animations and crosshair aswell before judging this patch. More velocity based on bowpower is the best thing that could have happened, although I’m curious why the warbow has been skipped here.

That doesn’t help bows whatsoever! The longbow and shortbow were already UP. Give me a decent fucking bow and just nerf my melee ability instead.

• @Dr.Nick:

That doesn’t help bows whatsoever! The longbow and shortbow were already UP. Give me a decent fucking bow and just nerf my melee ability instead.

I’ll give you that the shortbow is weak, but there was nothing wrong with the longbow. If anything the Warbow was a bit too good. Hopefully this change will bring the crossbows up to par with the bows.

• Very nice. Looking forward the actual release of the patch.

• so when will this game get optimized? or should i just ask for my money back now?

• @Vox:

so when will this game get optimized? or should i just ask for my money back now?

Is it safe to assume that is sarcasm?

• Xbow bug.

The game crashes during ammo reload.

upd.

Also i can’t find shove keybind.

• Warning to everyone. If you go back to regular Chivalry after using the beta your game will crash when you try to spawn.

• First let’s establish that 1hers are considered by the competitive community as the superior weapon of choice over their slower 2h counterparts because of the speed that they attacked with it was impossible to react properly to feints besides guessing. The goal of the feint nerf should have been to make it so you could intelligently react to a feint from a 1her, not just guess.

The .4 second global lock out after feinting has accomplished 2 things, making 1hers even more op in comparison to 2hers and lowered the skill ceiling of your game by a great deal. First off you have removed the ability to feint an attack to parry which nerfs 2hers. Second this has completely nerfed slower weapons because it’s impossible to feint with them now. This is because the speed is so slow now even if you perfectly feint them, they have time to get off a second parry. Third, this has lowered the skill ceiling of the game because you have lowered the number of possible actions you have to react to when someone swings at you down just 2 - parry like normal or parry the feint. Before it was an intelligent reaction to parry only when the swing would hit you. The windup was a queue to know that you should be expecting an attack, now you just learn 2 timers and you’re set.

This doesn’t hurt 1hers as much because you would already wait half a second after a feint to attack, because if you didn’t your weapon was so fast that you would swing into their first parry.

If the added .4 second feint cool down was meant to counter the combo feint glitching, that kind of change should only take effect on weapons that can actually combo. This change makes weapons like the spear, fork, and brandistock pretty useless. They already didn’t have the ability to combo attacks, and now they can’t even combine feints to gain an advantage over an opponent. Instead of adding a cooldown to feints, why can’t we just make is so if you combo your attacks, you cant feint at all.

• @Dr.Nick:

Warning to everyone. If you go back to regular Chivalry after using the beta your game will crash when you try to spawn.

Yes, this happened to me, so I was forced to reinstall the game.

• @Kimiko:

@Dr.Nick:

Warning to everyone. If you go back to regular Chivalry after using the beta your game will crash when you try to spawn.

Yes, this happened to me, so I was forced to reinstall the game.

Mine is still crashing even though I reinstalled :\

• @Dr.Nick:

Finally an archer that agrees with me… Melee is so OP for a ranged class and the bows do sort of suck but I think the archer buff even though the draw is slightly longer, you will like the range.

@Vox:

so when will this game get optimized? or should i just ask for my money back now?

How many times have I mentioned this? Maps and config files so need to be optimized beyond belief.

• So now there is LITERALLY no reason to use the norse sword? The Broadsword is the same or better in every single regard, the norse sword literally has nothing that makes it a better choice over the broadsword……

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1

• I believe the current fixes is enough for the General Public +1 for ready to launch :D

• so how and when will you see this patch?