Beta patch 1: 0.5s jump cool down horrible backwards step

• I really notice this; there is no visual or audible cue to the player as to when they can jump a 2nd time - press too early and your key press is simply ignored.

This in my mind a backwards step,and impacts upon game play fluidity.
    It’s completely absent from the patch notes too; for a change to such a fundamental mechanic as jumping this surprises me.

I don’t recall many (any?!) complaints citing bunny hopping as being a major issue, is this the reason for the change?

If so, instead of an invisible cool down on jumping may I suggest a few alternatives.

• add a landing animation, and have that as the delay. Bending of your knees as you land (1st person, move camera downwards)
    • even simpler ; just increase the stamina cost of jumping - especially for the more heavily armoured classes.

Anything is preferable to discarding player’s control input.

• I wholeheartedly agree. Never ignore player input, instead play a short ‘action failed’ sound or show that ‘jumping is impossible right now’ with an animation.

And don’t cure bunnyhopping until it happens. Jumping a lot in combat is fun and the combat mechanics seem to allow for useful jumps in combat. So try not to nerf jumping pre-emptively. ;)

• Moved to General.

• Wow really? Jumping already drained stamina so there was a simple reason not to bunny hop. This really needs to change.

• +1 for increased stamina drain. You can jump an awful lot right now, and it is actually very useful and rather silly sometimes - but an artificial limiter like an invisible cooldown is just not a good way to go.

• Yeah, this needs to be reverted immediately. It is really terrible waiting on some invisible timer before I can jump again. Doesn’t seem like a necessary change and makes the game feel awkward.

• @SlyGoat:

+1 for increased stamina drain. You can jump an awful lot right now, and it is actually very useful and rather silly sometimes - but an artificial limiter like an invisible cooldown is just not a good way to go.

Yea increase the stamina drain on jumping.

• I dunno, I am already having problems jumping when I actually hit the key and the delay when it actually happens, this seems true with much of the movement and combat. All delayed, slow, unresponsive. A nerf would be even more horrific. The new patch will nerf kickjump but not jumpkick and yet still no crouchjump to get over walls on rocks or whatever. So yeah not a fan of nerfing more of the movement mechanics.

• I just want to express that I feel this is the worst decision made in the beta.

• :D

• Maybe if you jump a second time within the .5 seconds the stamina cost is doubled each time.
    1st Jump 1x cost, 2nd jump 2x cost, 3rd jump 4x cost.

I also agree with the armor making it harder to jump as a balance not just because it should. Archers and MaA should be able to jump more if needed.

Over all tho Jumping is kinda a medium to minor thing. It be be useful at times but other times it doesn’t make a difference.

• There isnt even a benefit from bunnyhopping at the moment, this just creates another aritifcal barrier and is retarded.

• Please do not add more cooldowns to the game. Responsiveness of controls is of prime importance in a game like this. I have not seen any type of problem that came from repeated jumping. “Bunnyhopping” as people say does not even make sense because that is a feature particular to Quake and Source engine trees, not Unreal engine trees.

Just say no to more invisible cooldowns of any sort! Ensure controls remain responsive, or you will destroy the qualities that make us love the game!

• You guys realize that it isn’t bunnyhopping unless you are gaining velocity/speed when you do it right? And if we are to incur a stamina cost to jumping why not do it to sprinting? Jesus this game’s core mechanics are under attack right now.

• I’d suggest a stamina drain only on REPEATED jumps.

A single hop shouldn’t take much at all, a double-jump a decent amount, but those who perform many jumps in succession should have bugger all stamina.

Otherwise though yes “cooldowns” are bad. Better to have audio / visual queues, or be punished for silly gameplay (either by the game, or by a high likelyhood of a sword in the face). “Cooldowns” in a first-person type game just impair freedom, and enhance confusion.

• @BobT36:

or be punished for silly gameplay

“silly” gameplay is one of the best things about this game. Chivalry is at its absolute zenith when people are being stupid together in groups. There’s only so long that you can take it seriously…

• At the same time they should add some feedback after your stamina is down.
    Using kick when you have insufficient stamina generates no feedback at all, it’s incredibly confusing, especially in servers with lag :?

• @BobT36:

I’d suggest a stamina drain only on REPEATED jumps.

A single hop shouldn’t take much at all, a double-jump a decent amount, but those who perform many jumps in succession should have bugger all stamina.

Otherwise though yes “cooldowns” are bad. Better to have audio / visual queues, or be punished for silly gameplay (either by the game, or by a high likelyhood of a sword in the face). “Cooldowns” in a first-person type game just impair freedom, and enhance confusion.

Why any stamina drain on jumping at all? theres no benefit from bunnyhopping as 1. it gives you no speed in chivalry and 2. its like having a sign on your back “HIT ME”

• Agreed. This change needs to be given the axe, because it’s absurd.

I don’t even understand why this change even exists. I mean, at least tell us why, or show some examples of consecutive jumps being abused. Is it supposed to be an immersion thing, to make it more realistic? I just want to know why.

• Keep the cooldown, no need for a jumping spam ability nor any multiplier for each jump. In that case, add it to feints too.