Knight 2 hand swords being used as 1 handers- broken

• Are these weapons still on the devs radar as problems?

I don’t even feel the need to make a list of why these weapons are broken because its so painfully obvious why they need fixing.

They outstat every other one hander in the game. In particular the reach and speed of the sword of war make it at least just as broken as the Norse sword and in my opinion it IS more broken than the Norse sword. (FYI I feel the Norse sword got overnerfed, it really was not that broken to begin with, a bit overpowered but not rediculously)

I used to use the longsword and sword of war and after dominating with them I put them away and have yet to touch them since. I stopped using them out of the assumption that they were going to be dealt with accordingly.

To say the least I am extremely saddened to see the only melee weapon receiving changes this patch is the Norse sword.

Am I alone on this? How does everyone else feel about these weapons?

• I agree slight tweaks would be welcome

• @Phalanx:

Are these weapons still on the devs radar as problems?

I don’t even feel the need to make a list of why these weapons are broken because its so painfully obvious why they need fixing.

They outstat every other one hander in the game. In particular the reach and speed of the sword of war make it at least just as broken as the Norse sword and in my opinion it IS more broken than the Norse sword. (FYI I feel the Norse sword got overnerfed, it really was not that broken to begin with, a bit overpowered but not rediculously)

I used to use the longsword and sword of war and after dominating with them I put them away and have yet to touch them since. I stopped using them out of the assumption that they were going to be dealt with accordingly.

To say the least I am extremely saddened to see the only melee weapon receiving changes this patch is the Norse sword.

Am I alone on this? How does everyone else feel about these weapons?

Ok your points are bit mixed. Can you clear this up for me? You started talking about these weapons being unbalanced as 1 handers, but ended as them being overpowered in general. Is it just your stance that they are overpowered because they can be used as 1 handers, or that they should be changed completely?

• I am just talking about their one handed capabilities. If someone doesn’t specify assume that they are still referring to what they were talking about previously.

• @Phalanx:

I am just talking about their one handed capabilities. If someone doesn’t specify assume that they are still referring to what they were talking about previously.

Well there’s no reason to be like that. Just trying to make sure I understood you correctly.
    Either way, you’ve got this one wrong. I play two handed sword of war a lot and do not see the huge advantage you’re saying these knights get when they play 1 hand. On the same note, fast moving 1 handed blunt damage weapons can be very powerful against a knight and your statement of “outstat” is a vast simplification of these weapons. Stats are nothing. Each weapon is viable in this game and “dominating” varies greatly on how you use those weapons.

• Good questioning Bada. ;) i would have myself.
    u did nothing wrong in asking.
    Off topic i know :|

• @bada:

Well there’s no reason to be like that. Just trying to make sure I understood you correctly.
    Either way, you’ve got this one wrong. I play two handed sword of war a lot and do not see the huge advantage you’re saying these knights get when they play 1 hand. On the same note, fast moving 1 handed blunt damage weapons can be very powerful against a knight and your statement of “outstat” is a vast simplification of these weapons. Stats are nothing. Each weapon is viable in this game and “dominating” varies greatly on how you use those weapons.

No bada, he’s not ‘wrong’. You said you play 2-hand sword of war; you clearly haven’t played with a shield and sword of war. It’s pretty broken imo. This sword of war and shield is the only thing I play with.

The range is ridiculous as it outranges every 1-handers out there. The stab speed on 1-hand sword of war is faster too. I agree with OP.

If you haven’t been in any clan scrims, most knights use shield and one longsword/sow. Jest uses it exclusively too. If you don’t know who jest is, please do some research.

• @boomandvibe:

No bada, he’s not ‘wrong’. You said you play 2-hand sword of war; you clearly haven’t played with a shield and sword of war. It’s pretty broken imo. This sword of war and shield is the only thing I play with.

Like you said, that’s your opinion.

@boomandvibe:

The range is ridiculous as it outranges every 1-handers out there. The stab speed on 1-hand sword of war is faster too. I agree with OP.

My point is that he’s saying it is unbalanced. The sword outranges other 1-handers? Correct. It stabs faster… faster than what? Faster than… every other 1 handed weapon? No. We must be looking at different damage charts.

@boomandvibe:

If you haven’t been in any clan scrims, most knights use shield and one longsword/sow.

Don’t speak to me like I’m a child. What does “most knights” have to do with how I play?

@boomandvibe:

Jest uses it exclusively too. If you don’t know who jest is, please do some research.

Why would I care what jest does?

• Getting such a significant speed increase for wielding the weapon in one hand doesn’t make sense to me. Having a shield should be the reason you do it. Only the Messer sees a noteworthy damage drop when used onehanded.

• @SlyGoat:

Getting such a significant speed increase for wielding the weapon in one hand doesn’t make sense to me. Having a shield should be the reason you do it. Only the Messer sees a noteworthy damage drop when used onehanded.

Finally some actual input instead of finger pointing like children.

I actually can agree with you that the speed difference of 1 handed play is strange. It seems like the swords should go slower when you’re only using 1 hand.

• @bada:

Finally some actual input instead of finger pointing .

Lol. Says the person you immediately said I was the one who has this wrong.

Back on topic. The reason I started this thread is the first place was out of fear that these weapons will become the premier option in competitive play due to their overwhelmingly powerful attributes. I really think toning these weapons down a bit would open up more viable weapon options. As they stand now the longsword and sow with a shield are head and shoulder above other options.

• Despite common perceptions about swords, they’re pretty damn light. Bastard swords are made to be easily swung in one hand, and even twohanded swords aren’t strictly very heavy, it’s more that the length of them makes controlling your swing difficult in a onehanded grip. If anything the speed should be pretty much the same either way, with twohanded maintaining its power bonus to compensate for lack of shield. Or give twohanded strikes better combo speeds; this also makes sense as a double handed grip gives you more control as previously mentioned.

• @Phalanx:

@bada:

Finally some actual input instead of finger pointing .

Lol. Says the person you immediately said I was the one who has this wrong.

Back on topic. The reason I started this thread is the first place was out of fear that these weapons will become the premier option in competitive play due to their overwhelmingly powerful attributes. I really think toning these weapons down a bit would open up more viable weapon options. As they stand now the longsword and sow with a shield are head and shoulder above other options.

Telling you that you’re wrong is not on the same level of the condescending tone of the other player’s post by the fact that since I’m not Jest, my opinion isn’t relevant. Do not confuse the two.

Other than that, thank you for going back on topic.

• It’s actually agreed by Martin, jest, pro players, and other clan members.

I was saying stab speed is faster than when you are using it as a 2-hander.

It’s not ‘talking to you like you are a child’. Since when does being not experienced in a game makes you a child? How you play doesn’t matter to how broken a weapon is. When the only thing that most pro knights use is shield/1-hand sword of war, we may have a problem.

Lastly, because Jest is the best player in the game. Also, his opinions are important in this game because he is the one who shaped Warband as it is right now. (I’m serious)

• @boomandvibe:

It’s actually agreed by Martin, jest, pro players, and other clan members.

I was saying stab speed is faster than when you are using it as a 2-hander.

It’s not ‘talking to you like you are a child’. Since when does being not experienced in a game makes you a child? How you play doesn’t matter to how broken a weapon is. When the only thing that most pro knights use is shield/1-hand sword of war, we may have a problem.

Lastly, because Jest is the best player in the game. Also, his opinions are important in this game because he is the one who shaped Warband as it is right now. (I’m serious)

“It’s actually agreed by Martin, jest, pro players, and other clan members.”
    -Because {insert name} does it…
    “Since when does being not experienced in a game makes you a child?”
    -I guess I’m not experienced…
    “Lastly, because Jest is the best player in the game.”
    -Oh lord…

Ok. You. Your points are no longer valid, and I will ignore them going forward. Good day.

• the sword of war with a shield now feels faster stronger and more powerfull than the old norse sword ( specialy the thrust attack )…. i use to go againts 1-2 kights at the same time and win almost 80% of the time as a maa but now i cant do shit againts a single knight with SOW and shield …

• Knight bastard swords + shields need hitting with a nerf truck. Shields aside (as they are all pretty powerful as it is), the bastard swords are just too fast, and do too much damage in their 1h form for the range they have; fix this, and we can even allow the bastard swords to be wielded in one hand without a shield without them being grossly overpowered (and I know we can already wield them without shields through the use of a bug, but they are also bugged and use the 2h speeds and stats instead).

• @SlyGoat:

Despite common perceptions about swords, they’re pretty damn light. Bastard swords are made to be easily swung in one hand, and even twohanded swords aren’t strictly very heavy, it’s more that the length of them makes controlling your swing difficult in a onehanded grip. If anything the speed should be pretty much the same either way, with twohanded maintaining its power bonus to compensate for lack of shield. Or give twohanded strikes better combo speeds; this also makes sense as a double handed grip gives you more control as previously mentioned.

despite the common perceptions about balance, it doesn’t revolve around 3lb historically accurate bastard swords.

edit: oh and this shit allows the 1h bastard swords to use 10 stamina instead of 20 with the beta patch.

• @Martin:

Knight bastard swords + shields need hitting with a nerf truck. Shields aside (as they are all pretty powerful as it is), the bastard swords are just too fast, and do too much damage in their 1h form for the range they have; fix this, and we can even allow the bastard swords to be wielded in one hand without a shield without them being grossly overpowered (and I know we can already wield them without shields through the use of a bug, but they are also bugged and use the 2h speeds and stats instead).

Hear Hear!

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

@SlyGoat:

Despite common perceptions about swords, they’re pretty damn light. Bastard swords are made to be easily swung in one hand, and even twohanded swords aren’t strictly very heavy, it’s more that the length of them makes controlling your swing difficult in a onehanded grip. If anything the speed should be pretty much the same either way, with twohanded maintaining its power bonus to compensate for lack of shield. Or give twohanded strikes better combo speeds; this also makes sense as a double handed grip gives you more control as previously mentioned.

despite the common perceptions about balance, it doesn’t revolve around 3lb historically accurate bastard swords.

edit: oh and this shit allows the 1h bastard swords to use 10 stamina instead of 20 with the beta patch.

I think you forgot to read the part of my post that came after the first sentence. I’m in favor of making onehanded and twohanded bastard swords swing speeds the same with twohanders having more damage, for the sake of both realism and balance.