Picking up weapons from the battlefield.

• In some maps I see weapons laying around and thought it would be really nice to pick them up from the floor and start using it. I understand that there’s a class system but at the same time I Don’t believe every class should be restricted to that particular weapon.

as a long-term player I just thought I’d add my thoughts.

• I don’t think it would work for a variety of reasons.

1. Realistically, a soldier would train with a weapon until it became an extension of him. He would practice with one weapon, doctory and baby it, and know every inch until he could tell just by how the weight was distributed if he was holding it wrong. He picks up a weapon, even a weapon of the same type, the weight would be different, and it would throw him off. A singe ounce in the wrong spot could mean the difference between life and death. A soldier would never pick up another weapon unless he had no other choice.

2. Unlike game like CoD or Battlefield, there is no ammunition for most of these weapons. There is no reason why would need to switch weapons. If you want a different sword, or a mace instead of an axe, just select it in the options menu. There’s no reason to switch.

3. The classes are balanced to use a specific set of weapons, and IIRC, they will all be unlocked from the start (or if there are unlockables, most would be unlocked from the start, rather than only having two or three)…making “upgrading” weapons a nonissue, as you already have access to them.

4. It would break the flow of combat. Again, unlike CoD or Battlefield, you’re not hanging back and flinging bullets across a hallway, you’re stabbing people in the face, slicing up their legs, or disemboweling the enemy. In that kind of atmosphere, all time spent away from the combat is time wasted, because the combat can’t come from just anywhere. It’s not a “if you see him, you can kill him” game, it’s a “Toe-to-Toe” game. As such, it wastes time to hunt for a weapon, and if you’re in an area where weapons are plentiful, you’re not usually in a situation where you would be looking for weapons, you’d be more concered about making sure your manhood stays attached.

My vote, it’s an unneccessary feature creep that doesn’t add enough to justify the work. Everything is available to you already, there’s no reason for it.

• But what if you are useing a bow, and you run out of arrows.Will you have to go with out, or could you pick some arrows up.

• Just like with AoC, there would be refil stations in certain areas of the map. These would replenish completely any ranged ammo you might need.

• I think this would be useful only only if your weapon could break, and when that happens, you could pick up a weapon like your prevision one off of the ground. But like Ajax described, this is a toe-to-toe game, breaking weapons would disrupt the flow of combat

• @Ajax:

I don’t think it would work for a variety of reasons.

1. Realistically, a soldier would train with a weapon until it became an extension of him. He would practice with one weapon, doctory and baby it, and know every inch until he could tell just by how the weight was distributed if he was holding it wrong. He picks up a weapon, even a weapon of the same type, the weight would be different, and it would throw him off. A singe ounce in the wrong spot could mean the difference between life and death. A soldier would never pick up another weapon unless he had no other choice.

2. Unlike game like CoD or Battlefield, there is no ammunition for most of these weapons. There is no reason why would need to switch weapons. If you want a different sword, or a mace instead of an axe, just select it in the options menu. There’s no reason to switch.

3. The classes are balanced to use a specific set of weapons, and IIRC, they will all be unlocked from the start (or if there are unlockables, most would be unlocked from the start, rather than only having two or three)…making “upgrading” weapons a nonissue, as you already have access to them.

4. It would break the flow of combat. Again, unlike CoD or Battlefield, you’re not hanging back and flinging bullets across a hallway, you’re stabbing people in the face, slicing up their legs, or disemboweling the enemy. In that kind of atmosphere, all time spent away from the combat is time wasted, because the combat can’t come from just anywhere. It’s not a “if you see him, you can kill him” game, it’s a “Toe-to-Toe” game. As such, it wastes time to hunt for a weapon, and if you’re in an area where weapons are plentiful, you’re not usually in a situation where you would be looking for weapons, you’d be more concered about making sure your manhood stays attached.

My vote, it’s an unneccessary feature creep that doesn’t add enough to justify the work. Everything is available to you already, there’s no reason for it.

+1

• Well put Ajax. As has been said, picking up weapons would disrupt the proverbial ‘flow’. I’m particularly partial to his fourth point.

If weapon pick-ups are implemented, however, I think there should be class based restrictions such as swordsmen not being able to use bows.

• Perhaps, but this may disturb the class :|

• Man at arms with bows O_O

• I agree with Ajax, but still thinking there should be “weapons health”. And a blacksmith class to repair them, and armor (as i written in another post).

• I agree with Ajax, but still thinking there should be “weapons health”. And a blacksmith class to repair them, and armor (as i written in another post).

Would you really consider it fun if your weapon broke mid combat and you died because of it? Similarly, would you consider it a fair win if your opponent’s weapon broke mid combat allowing you to easily dispatch them?

• You could set “e” to call for your blacksmith everytime your weapon gets low health. Sounds familiar… And Martin is right. This is just extra nonsense to deal with (weapon broken, suicide, respawn or go die to somebody).

• No, i am not saying “broken” as cracked, torn to pieces, more like notched, or jagged…but u will probably not live enough to do this (it will probably work with idea of “stunned adversaries” not killed instantly - but it will make another game probably, with medics, blacksmith etc.). Lets stay with simple dueling idea, with no strange “notched longswords held by a medic who helps blacksmith patch up fallen warrior”. Forget it :)

• …When an archer has finished his arrows may collect a two-handed axe from the ground and use it…?
    …or there are some restrictions between weapon and class player…??

ciauz^^,
    Jab

• Well, I’m going to have to agree that picking up weapons is a superfluous feature that does not need to be added. if you could pick up weapons there would be no need for a class based system, and without the distinct classes i think the sense of medieval warfare is lost from the game.

• I like the idea of being able to pick up any weapon you see, so I have pushed for that feature more than once. But no matter how you cut it, it comes down to one magic word: Balance.

A Man At Arms with a Knights weapon would be an absolute terror.

So as cool as it would be, it’s very unlikely to happen.

• @Ajax:

1. Unlike game like CoD or Battlefield, there is no ammunition for most of these weapons. There is no reason why would need to switch weapons. If you want a different sword, or a mace instead of an axe, just select it in the options menu. There’s no reason to switch.

The sheer joy of going on a killing spree killing 5 guys with a weapon and getting bored.
    So you decide to pick up a mace and continue smashing face?

I dont see why not, but i wouldnt be against putting a modifier on it so you do less damage?