New Fire Is Way Too Strong

• Fire needs to be toned down a bit. Way too strong in the new beta. Maybe in between what it used to be and what it is now. It takes half of a MaA’s hp and its really easy to hit people with. The kill the king objective takes about 1 minute with a couple of MaAs wielding fire.

• True. It does absurd damage.

• Can someone tell me why it needed to be upgraded in the first place? I’d always felt that being by far the least skill-requiring weapon in the arsenal its damage was, if anything, too high. MMA are already mroe than capable of holding their own in a fight. Having one hit you with fire beforehand gives a guaranteed edge in a one on one fight. Perhaps I’m missing something though?

• @Bran:

Can someone tell me why it needed to be upgraded in the first place? I’d always felt that being by far the least skill-requiring weapon in the arsenal its damage was, if anything, too high. MMA are already mroe than capable of holding their own in a fight. Having one hit you with fire beforehand gives a guaranteed edge in a one on one fight. Perhaps I’m missing something though?

True.

And has someone ever encountered a massive wall of pavise shields or something? Why did they prenerf this tactic even before the community started to use it? Well not even prenerf, but completly destroyed it.

• @Bran:

Can someone tell me why it needed to be upgraded in the first place? I’d always felt that being by far the least skill-requiring weapon in the arsenal its damage was, if anything, too high. MMA are already more than capable of holding their own in a fight. Having one hit you with fire beforehand gives a guaranteed edge in a one on one fight. Perhaps I’m missing something though?

Using a firepot brings knights and vanguards into a 2 hit kill range (if you can hit your target with the 1 shot you’re given) which is equal to what they can do to a MAA.

Yes, MAA can hold their own in a fight versus a knight, but given knights’ current lack of flinching after being hit while idle, this means that a semi-competent knight will easily get a hit in exchange for the first “idle” hit a MAA inflicts.

This results in the MAA either dying outright, or being at half life.

Without a firepot tenderization process, knights are between 3-5 hit kills. Combined with the lack of a shield, knights not flinching when struck while idle, and the time required to get 3-5 hits, you’re much more likely to die to: either the person you’re fighting because of the non-flinch factor, wildly swinging teammates coming to assist you in killing your target in a more timely fashion, or the other team who comes to assist their teammate by flanking you because you can’t kill quickly enough.

In short, I don’t necessarily think that they need a buff in damage, but they certainly don’t need a nerf.

• @Dasein808:

In short, I don’t necessarily think that they need a buff in damage, but they certainly don’t need a nerf.

It just needs to not be as powerful as it is at the moment in beta. The problem isnt really against knights either. Against MaA and archer it allows you to kill in 1 hit with any MaA one hand weapon. I think that the damage for getting hit by the pot should not be as much as it currently is in the beta. The damage for standing in the fire like an idiot maybe should be better than it is in the official version.

• Some numbers… If I’m not mistaken (and I could be) the new firepot does 10 damage every second over 5 seconds = 50 damage. The old firepot did 7 damage every second over 5 seconds = 35 damage. A good middle ground is 45 damage, which would be 9 damage every second over 5 seconds - that way, you can’t be cheaped out by 2 pots.

• I think the buff is perfectly justified, honestly. You are giving up a shield to use it, and that makes MAAs far more vulnerable to arrows. Basically you give up quite a bit of ranged and melee durability so it needs to be worth it.

Also, if you see the fire pot coming, you can dodge it more easily by jumping. Another thing you can do is stick next to an enemy so he gets hit by the fire as well.

• As a speed class it seems as though its actually be better for MMA to forgo the shield entirely and rely simply on their weapon for blocking. Its a class Im still quite weak at though so I can’t be sure. Their special ability however is by far better than those of other classes and their speed and footwork easily balance the kinghts heavier hits in one to one.

Perhaps apart from the lack of skill needed to use (maybe I just need more practice at dodging them?) is the fact that they are the only weapon in the aresenal that is not historically realistic. Firepots were used in naval and siege situations from fixed locations and were not carried around on the battlefield like Molotov cocktails.

If they were made more historically accurate though (if you get hit at all while carrying one it explodes over you), I’d have no problem with them as they are :)