Pathetic performance - fixed 95%

• EDIT:

Following things to ensure way better performance:

Delete system settings.INI …load and quit the game.

1. Start options in steam for Chiv: -useallavailablecores
    2. Turn off all decals (helps a bit)
    3. Change LOD Bias / skeletal lod bias in systemsettings .ini
    4. Turn of dynamic light and dynamic shadows (these two destroy fps)

Performance increase is great (like waaaaay better)

If needed I can post systemsettings.INI (see my specs below).

_–----------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers.

I love the game, really do. What I don´t like is the fact that my system is not able to get stable 60 fps.
    Not much I ask for, just stable 60 fps.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 @ 3.4 Ghz.
    8 Gig DDR 3 Ram
    GTX 570 Nividia

Newest drivers, all settings set for max performance.
    Went through all “tweaks” one could find here.
    Disabled a l ot of gfx settings.

Apart from the game looking like “shit” fps still drop to 35 under heavy load.

Questions:

Optimization going to happen some time this year?
    What specs for stable 60 fps?
    Any other tweaks people have found?

Sure, the system is not brandnew…but the graphics in this game aren´t either over the top :-)

• Hi have you tried gamebooster I used to use that on my other computer vgood.
    also I found a video about tweaking, and I turnned of some settings in the nvidia control panel and it helped. sbt can’t find link as it was a while back. Also consider setting screen on next lower setting.

• Thx for reading and repling.
    Though it seems you didn t read carefully…Control Panel is hammered for max performance… ;)

• I can’t check at this moment as my desktop is packed up. But on my 3570k @ 4.4ghz, 8gb ddr3 1600, and GTX 670 there wasn’t a time that I dropped below 60. Was capped at 60, all settings maxed @ 1080p.

• If you have a browse around the maps in spectator view you’ll see quite a lot of superfluous geometry, more importantly if you look at the collision meshes (nxvis collision), you’ll see piles of redundant & unnecessary junk in the maps.

I expect (hope!) TB decide to expend some effort toward optimizing the maps at some point in the future, as I’m sure frame rates could be doubled for everyone.

• i think this has to do with amd processors, i have a Phenom II x4 965, 8gb, radeon 5870 and the game sometimes goes as low as 15 on lowest settings. A friend of mine with an i5 (not quite sure which one) and a geforce 470 is capable of playing maxed out @ 1080 and never drops below 60 fps.

• e8400@3.2 ghz, 4gb ddr2, 7870. Minimum settings drops me down to ~20 fps in heated fights, hovers around 60 otherwise.

• Anything new?

Devs maybe respond with there I7 hardcore systems?

• The game does seem to be heavily CPU-bound. I don’t know the reason behind that yet. If I had to guess, I would peg it somewhere around the physics calculations (relates to previous post about collision meshes, etc.).

• Pathetic in other words.

I get it.

• @ReMixx:

The game does seem to be heavily CPU-bound. I don’t know the reason behind that yet. If I had to guess, I would peg it somewhere around the physics calculations (relates to previous post about collision meshes, etc.).

What’s with the animations, I think I read somewhere that the engine does make some problems regarding animation calculations. Would make kinda sense because most people get problems when there are just many players on the screen irregarding graphic settings or in which level they are.

• @lorn:

@ReMixx:

The game does seem to be heavily CPU-bound. I don’t know the reason behind that yet. If I had to guess, I would peg it somewhere around the physics calculations (relates to previous post about collision meshes, etc.).

What’s with the animations, I think I read somewhere that the engine does make some problems regarding animation calculations. Would make kinda sense because most people get problems when there are just many players on the screen irregarding graphic settings or in which level they are.

I haven’t heard anything about that yet :?

• @ReMixx:

I haven’t heard anything about that yet :?

Don’t quote me on it, sry I should have said that I just heard it from someone who probably doesn’t have that much of a clue about the engine either :D

I think it was on some high performance config for Tribes:Ascend where you could simplify the animation frames which increased performance a bit.

Dunno, better ignore me, I am just purely speculating here :D

• @lorn:

Dunno, better ignore me, I am just purely speculating here :D

We’re all just speculating ;)

• I dont care about the background of the engine tbrh…pretty stupid when you once bought amd and you are fucked just because of that.

I care about 60 fps on a system that should do 60 fps NP.
    I care about changing settings WITHOUT ANY positive effect.
    I care about pathetic input lag due to my crap 35 - 40 fps (since so much is clientbased).

SO? I am supposed to buy Intel (which I was about to do anyways) to run the game fluently?
    Great job Epic games. Great job Torn Banner.

:D

• i have the same cpu and get a steady 60fps on 1080p/full detail.

• @carrion:

i have the same cpu and get a steady 60fps on 1080p/full detail.

Screenshots, or BS.

• @TehJumpingJawa:

@carrion:

i have the same cpu and get a steady 60fps on 1080p/full detail.

Screenshots, or BS.

You two need to get together and compare each other’s machines ;)

• No way you get steady 62 fps with my machine on maxed out gfx settings.
    You do mostly with 12 players…not on every map.

24 player servers maxed out its more or less never 62 fps steady.
    Impossible.
    The more players the worse it gets. Guaranteed.

All these tiny proposed fixes don’t do the trick.
    In fact only slygoats system settings.INI made me have 62 fps…in 80% of the possible situations.
    The game therefore looks like 2007.

Newest…oc ed Intel architecture or no steady 62 fps on max settings.
    It is what is.

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.