Archers killing the fun and game

• I really like this game, but boiling point is reaching and not only at me wich I am pretty sure of.
    Im pretty sure if something is killing this game its the archers. They are cowards hiding in the back shooting at players that cant shoot back, unlike in CoD.
    In Team Objective I am fine with archers. Siege a castle with no archers would be lame, but in game modes like LTS, TDM and FFA archers are freaking annoying and lame. This should be customized by server hosts, period. But recommend to not put this option on TO.
    If this wont get fixed I am pretty sure lots of casual players will move on, cause some people stick to what they like and become very good. If half the enemie is 1337 no scope 360 archer pro and before spawn you have no information on that and looking for some satisfying melee action and instead find your self dodging and eating arrows, there is no fun in that. It will kill the game. Save the game before its to late.
    Leave the archers out of other game modes then TO or make it customizable or lose a lot of casual players.

• Archers were part of the medieval era, therefore they won’t be removed. And there is people who like playing archer as much as you like with any other class.

• @Metrocop:

Archers were part of the medieval era, therefore they won’t be removed. And there is people who like playing archer as much as you like with any other class.

Its a game that should be fun and balanced. Archers are fine in TO as I agree on the medieval era part, but other game modes are games and not based on a realistic thing. They should be melee only or give hosts the option to make it so. Its part of the game, yeh. But it will also kills the game soon.

• I would’t be surprised if the ability for server hosts to disable or limit classed appeared. Archers wont be removed though, nor will the game be less popular when they aren’t. Also I’d love to read why it is you think that archers will kill the game.

• Rather than getting rid of the archers, give each class a way to deal with them: Enter Sarcasm

_Vanguard could have a smoke pot that blocks the archer line of sight

Man at Arms could have an ability to dodge

Knight could have a shield to block the arrows

And you could have a special key to tell team mates to target archers… 8-)_

In all seriousness, maybe some of these abilities need to be improved somewhat, rather than just getting rid of a Medieval necessity, we should focus on ways to deal with them.

Maybe mounts would even this playing field a bit better, FINGERS CROSSSED ;)

• Another pointless thread. People really should get banned for making these No archers/japanese/cavalry/new assasin ninja monster class threads which are annoying as hell already. On many game forums it is penalized to ask for same insane stuff all over again.

• @LordOfCinder:

Another pointless thread. People really should get banned for making these No archers/japanese/cavalry/new assasin ninja monster class threads which are annoying as hell already. On many game forums it is penalized to ask for same insane stuff all over again.

Cavalry! Thats a great idea, glad you brought it up. :D

One of the best ways to deal with archers was cavalry in medieval war, Vanguards spears can deal with the cavalry, things would be pretty balanced then! 8-)

• A server side option to restrict the number of players who can be on each class is going to be included at some point.

• This post is deleted!

• I think what Chivalry needs is more tactics and thought behind combat. Shield walls, organised flanking and retreats. Fun sword fights are fun as they are. Don’t fight on the open, and you wouldn’t get killed all the time. This game needs something that will KEEP it interesting. Concentration on swords fights with no point will ruin this game, not archers.

I mostly play knight and Vanguard and never feel that horrifying butthurt come people seem to have. It’s not Call Of Duty- different classes good for different things. You should really get used to it.

Don’t run franticly straight to battle. Don’t rely on team mates you should keep your self alive on your own. Projectiles are EXTREMELY slow and do low damage, archery in this game is inefficient, takes lot’s of skill and luck to actually hit the target. Flank them, use secondaries, stay out of range or out of sight.

My impression you just run around with no though and then your butt burns.

• @LordOfCinder:

I think what Chivalry needs is more tactics and thought behind combat. Shield walls, organised flanking and retreats. Fun sword fights are fun as they are. Don’t fight on the open, and you wouldn’t get killed all the time. This game needs something that will KEEP it interesting. Concentration on swords fights with no point will ruin this game, not archers.

I mostly play knight and Vanguard and never feel that horrifying butthurt come people seem to have. It’s not Call Of Duty- different classes good for different things. You should really get used to it.

Don’t run franticly straight to battle. Don’t rely on team mates you should keep your self alive on your own. Projectiles are EXTREMELY slow and do low damage, archery in this game is inefficient, takes lot’s of skill and luck to actually hit the target. Flank them, use secondaries, stay out of range or out of sight.

My impression you just run around with no though and then your butt burns.

Yep this is exactly where most of the flame and unreasoned complains come from. Another thing is the smokepot. I know people think it’s badly UP… BUT
    I have never seen anyone using it.
    I have never seen an organized group trying to get an advantage with it
    I think the fact that the smokepot covers your friends easier than a shield and that it probably stacks very well ( line of smokeclouds) makes it easily imagine-able that an organized group of 2-4 vanguards, with experience on where to aim it and when, could create a constant wall of smoke throughout an entire game and make it damn annoying to play archer in the opposing team or simply bring chaos to enemy formations an positioning. If used every single respawn and if they’d dedicate a bit time on refilling ammo, they can really get a reasonable output of these bombs. At least, it’s a better plan than “aw archers again… well. CHARGE AND PRAY”
    The point is: No one tried it, so noone should judge it and an unreasoned plain “vanguards can’t counter arrows” gives away that you’re too inexperienced in some of the games aspects to have a proper opinion on it’s balance.
    Besides, I pity anyone who can’t ultilize a vanguard’s range against a dagger and then fails to compansate that with a dane axe ( just as fast as a dagger, still more range, oneshots archers to the head).

• Maybe vanguards could get 2 or 3 smoke pots? :)

• @Slaughtervomit:

Maybe vanguards could get 2 or 3 smoke pots? :)

that might cause performance issues and would probably be op, but how about a medium regeneration of smokepots so you can throw a single one almost every fight even if you’re good enough to survive.

• Well, maybe you can have several of them, but they be on a cooldown until the last one you threw was finished?

• @LordOfCinder:

Another pointless thread. People really should get banned for making these No archers/japanese/cavalry/new assasin ninja monster class threads which are annoying as hell already. On many game forums it is penalized to ask for same insane stuff all over again.

I agree with this. And as I do agree that archers are part of the medieval era aswell, that doesn’t stop me however from hating them. They’re annoying, oh so annoying. And I think everyone has had such a moment that you’re fending off a couple of enemies, doing good, and then one of those pesky archers locks on you… It is infuriating. I agree that they should be in the game, and yet I hate them.

@Salesgun4Hire:

Vanguard could have a smoke pot that blocks the archer line of sight

Man at Arms could have an ability to dodge

Knight could have a shield to block the arrows

Obviously you’ve never used the smoke pot, or you’d know how useless your own advice is.

If you’re using dodge thát consistently, to evade every single projectile coming your way, you’ll run out of stamina in no time.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to be forced to use a shield every single time when playing Knight just for Archers sake. I like to be a shiny canned-in man with a big weapon, that doesn’t die from 3 arrows flying in his general direction.

• @Siegfried:

Obviously you’ve never used the smoke pot, or you’d know how useless your own advice is.

This was sarcasm, at the ideas the developers came up with to deal with archers, so obviously when I said: Enter Sarcasm, you totally missed it.

• @SlyGoat:

A server side option to restrict the number of players who can be on each class is going to be included at some point.

I fear this, most people hate archers so most of the custom servers will have no archers, and thats sad. As long as it doesn’t let you put 0 per class its okay.

• @Metrocop:

@SlyGoat:

A server side option to restrict the number of players who can be on each class is going to be included at some point.

I fear this, most people hate archers so most of the custom servers will have no archers, and thats sad. As long as it doesn’t let you put 0 per class its okay.

I agree, I don’t like the idea of limits, people need to get trained in Training mode how to deal with a group of archers… or someone needs to write up a complete strategy guide… I’d volunteer… for money ;)

• Well isnt that just realistic that archers are hated? I think the french knights who fought in Agincourt disliked Archers as well after the battle.
    Also the hate makes smashing their heads in with a hammer even more satisfying! :D

• I don’t have a problem with archers, and I usually play either vanguard, or archer with spear and shield.
    It’s not too often I play as archer, but I do play when I feel like killing someone who has a killing spree.

BTW, one interesting idea I don’t think has bee thought of (as far I know) is making the damage area more unbalanced. Like most headshots straight on, or directly in the face (Where the helmet doesn’t cover) should be one or two shot kill. Chest should be 7-8 shots, and limbs should be 15 shots. This is for the knight of course, but I think you get the idea. Knights are way to weak to deal with 2-3 archers 50 meters away, even with tower shield.

It’s a reason they have thick armour all over their body…