Ping question

• All right, i’m sure this is going to sound like i’m an idiot, but here it goes anyway: :?

What the hell does Ping do? Mine is always around 55-60. Is good, bad, meh?

Should i join games with high, low or around the same as mine own ping? Right now 90% of the time i go for the closest/lowest ping count depending on the server type (FFA, TO, LTS, etc).

What does it affect IN-game? Will i lag more/less with a high/low/equal ping?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to clarify this!

phyltybo

• @phyltybo:

All right, i’m sure this is going to sound like i’m an idiot, but here it goes anyway: :?

What the hell does Ping do? Mine is always around 55-60. Is good, bad, meh?

Should i join games with high, low or around the same as mine own ping? Right now 90% of the time i go for the closest/lowest ping count depending on the server type (FFA, TO, LTS, etc).

What does it affect IN-game? Will i lag more/less with a high/low/equal ping?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to clarify this!

phyltybo

Ping is how long it takes for a packet of data to travel between two computers over the interwebs. It is usually measured in milliseconds. Higher ping means that it takes longer for data to reach the target === lag of doom. The lower the ping, the better!!

• oh really! ok thanks a lot for the info! looks like i was doing the right thing then. That’s new! :D